• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First timer options while waiting on platform

blehrter

Hey folks, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here... My first saddle has just shipped but my Predator Platform is on backorder. I have a set of 4 Helium 20" sticks and an aider. Would it be feasible to set up the last two sticks next to one another as a sort of makeshift platform for the time being?

Plenty of people have used their top stick as a platform. However, it's not very comfortable.

I can't say I've heard of anyone using two sticks at the same level. I don't know whether any gains would outweigh the loss of height.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I built a platform out of a primal step for $10 or so. I welded mine etc but it would be easy to bolt a piece of aluminum plate, wood etc to get by for awhile. Maybe not safe to stand on top of but just a flat place to put your feet on would be a bonus as compared to a ladder step

I used the top step of my Helium’s as a platform for about a month before I got my platform. Works just fine. Do you have the full length helium’s? Best if you do. The shorter ones will kick out on you with side pressure more easily. I would ratchet your top stick if you’re using it as a platform just so it will handle side pressure well in the event of an awkward shot. Also, I would suggest using hard-soled boots if you’ll be standing on your stick for more than a few hours.

Another option is go to the hardware store and buy some bolts to use as a ring of steps until your platform arrives.

Another option would be to stand on a branch while tethered in.

I see you have the shorter Helium’s now...I’d use whatever attachment method you prefer on the first three and ratchet the top on to the tree even if it’s not as convenient, so you it doesn’t kick out on you with side pressure.

I see you have the shorter Helium’s now...I’d use whatever attachment method you prefer on the first three and ratchet the top on to the tree even if it’s not as convenient, so you it doesn’t kick out on you with side pressure.

Thanks! Yeah I have the shorter sticks. I'm mostly on public land, so I'll use the ratchet method for the next few weeks.

You don't need a platform. Go buy four screw in steps and put them around the tree. I started doing this and stopped looking at platforms.

Back