• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First try

lpv77

I just tried the sliding aider method with two stepps and also with on stick. I concluded I can get 1.5 foot more out of two stepps than one muddy pro and the aider.
Stick is way faster to install though.
For those that have used homemade and store bought aiders, are the store bought way better at staying open to get boots in easisr?

I just tried the sliding aider method with two stepps and also with on stick. I concluded I can get 1.5 foot more out of two stepps than one muddy pro and the aider.
Stick is way faster to install though.
For those that have used homemade and store bought aiders, are the store bought way better at staying open to get boots in easisr?

I assume you are talking about webbing aiders. The store bought ones generally have a second layer of webbing sewn onto the area where your foot goes to make it stiffer and help it stay open. I've seen some guys make homemade ones with tubular webbing and slide a section of stiff rope inside where the foot goes. Looks like it works pretty well. I've also seen some wrapped with camo duct tape to keep it open.

I assume you are talking about webbing aiders. The store bought ones generally have a second layer of webbing sewn onto the area where your foot goes to make it stiffer and help it stay open. I've seen some guys make homemade ones with tubular webbing and slide a section of stiff rope inside where the foot goes. Looks like it works pretty well. I've also seen some wrapped with camo duct tape to keep it open.
That's how I've made them. I'm not content with the outcome though. There don't lay nice for starters, often twist. Then the loops started to collapse after a few uses. It became cumbersome to use. I use REI camo tubular webbing and I inserted a stiff 10mm rope to hold it open

My aider is tubular webbing with a 6 inch piece of Yale Bandit (11mm) rope inserted to keep it open. I had no troubles getting my foot in place in the aider this fall.
f207fccb8b10d79a090e352369317b92.jpg

If you want a stiffer (but slightly heavier) option to keep it open use 1/4 inch fuel line hose instead of rope.

My aider is tubular webbing with a 6 inch piece of Yale Bandit (11mm) rope inserted to keep it open. I had no troubles getting my foot in place in the aider this fall.
f207fccb8b10d79a090e352369317b92.jpg
I can see that being fine. I have in issue making a 4step aider hold up and stay consistent with step position.

Back