• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Turkey!

justbairley

Harvested my first turkey ever this morning on public land! Had a great hunt Monday with lots of activity but couldn't get anything going. Wasn't out yesterday because it was my birthday but got out today.

Set up on a field edge right off a roosting area and they were gobbling up a storm first light, but they came down and headed the opposite direction from me, down into a marsh area. I snuck into the wood line and called and had lots of good interaction but nothing coming back my way. After about 30 minutes I cut all the way around the marsh to try and head them off along an open power line, By the time I got there they were 3 toms in full strut along with a couple hens. I belly crawled the wood line and waded through a creek and set up on the back side of it and called. Again lots of return gobbles but they just wouldn't commit. Finally they worked into the opposite side of the woods and I backed out for awhile and went quiet. Walked away from them about 150 yards and brushed in a little ground blind. Called a couple times and got responses. Then I went completely quiet and waited. 10 minutes later had this tom walk in to range, poke his head up over a downed tree and punched my first turkey tag!

turkey1.jpg

turkey2.jpg

Back