• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flashlight or Headlamp

Tim Tripoli

Just curious what most are using. Please recommend your favorite brand and why.

Thanks

Tim

Both.
Headlamps are crucial for climbing and walking through the woods with your hands full. I have a dim red light on while climbing and setting up.

I'm using a Princeton Tec that has a bright 3 red LED setting. I keep an extra Petal headlamp girth hitched to my pack. I carry a bright Red LED flashlight for tracking and have another small white light LED flashlight in my emergency kit.

Both.
I use a headlamp for the same reasons that justsomedude mentioned (entering woods, climbing, etc) but I carry a larger hand-held flashlight to assist with blood trailing duties.

Funny timing, just the other day I bought a 225 lumen flashlight for this duty, mostly because it takes (3x) AA batteries - I am cheap and they are too.

Headlamp for going in and out and climbing. I keep a small led flashlight in my pack as a backup and 1 set of extra batteries. I have an awesome 600 lumen flashlight that I keep in my truck for blood trailing.

300 lumen headlamp, and 300 lumen flashlight... extra batteries...

Dang, you guys have some BRIGHT lights!
I have walked around the woods for the past 23 years in the Corps without a light, this 250 lumen light seems to turn the night into day!

Best part, it was something like $18 and takes 3 AAA batteries (initially I wrote AA).
c5acd13d12518beca5ba573d3f39b5ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Petzl Tactikka headlamp comes with red and green filters and runs on 3xAAA. For tough tracking jobs, I keep a big 6v light in my Jeep.

Funny this thread should come up. I use head lights for everything. No sense in taking up my hands. Everyday hunting headlight is the Walmart or Home Depot energizer led headlights. Forget what lumens the one I currently have is. I've used a few different lumen ones in the energizer brand and they are not that much different that I can remember. I just make sure to pick one out with a red led setting. I'm color blind and have a hard time seeing blood unless I pick up the wet shine which is hard to do in our humidity and the night ground usually always has moisture on it.
But since I got a blood dog in training this year I just ordered a light my buddy been using frogging and he said it's awesome. I wanted something to light up the woods to follow my black dog.
984296af7f5565bc606a26ea4d492ac8.jpg

I use both. dim red cap light for climbing

Small flashlight for walking. I like to be able to dim the light by holding my thumb over the lense

Princeton tec Fred headlamp, has red and white LEDs for general stuff. Only use white if absolutely necessary. Backup is a brighter hand held LED light, 2xaaa, around 100 lumens, cheap/generic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back