• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fleece Saddle Knot

LarkHarrison243

What knot would you use to tie tubular webbing directly to your saddle for use as a bridge? I have tried the double girth hitch and the webbing slips off the end no matter how tight I get it. If there isnt a way to tie it would sewing a channel along the short side of the saddle then putting webbing trought the channel be strong enough to act as a bridge? (With a RCH of course)

We've been noticing that the double girth hitch and cats paw do not tighten up when using webbing. It reportedly works great with Amsteel.
I just put some pics up last week on how I tie off a fleece saddle with webbing.

@LarkHarrison243 this thread has good info:
https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/diy-fleece-saddle-knot.22764/

If you go with a sheet bend, it'd be a good idea to tie off the loose end so it can't pull through. You can easily tie the first end like in video on that thread I linked to but the second end either requires you to tie a safety knot. I didn't like the sheet bend because of the bulk it creates at the knot.

Here's a link to some other methods: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.php#Webbing

Last edited:
Thankyou
We've been noticing that the double girth hitch and cats paw do not tighten up when using webbing. It reportedly works great with Amsteel.
I just put some pics up last week on how I tie off a fleece saddle with webbing.
https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/diy-fleece-saddle-knot.22764/

If you go with a sheet bend, it'd be a good idea to tie off the loose end so it can't pull through. You can easily tie the first end like in video on that thread I linked to but the second end either requires you to tie a safety knot. I didn't like the sheet bend because of the bulk it creates at the knot.

Here's a link to some other methods: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.php#Webbing
Thankyou, i'll check these out.

Wow. That sheet bend looks pretty good. Have you ever seen it slip?

I am 275 plus or minus (depending on what side of Thanksgiving / Christmas the date is). Double sheet bend does not slip for me at all. Yes, there is more “bulk”, but it does not slip. And when I want it undone, I just pull apart the fleece on both sides of the sheet bend. It releases with minimal fuss.

I really don’t understand all the hoopla with trying to DIY other knots. And sewing channels. It seems like unnecessary work to me.

I really don’t understand all the hoopla with trying to DIY other knots. And sewing channels. It seems like unnecessary work to me.
This entire community revolves around sharing different ideas to accomplish a goal. Think outside the box. You’re sitting in a tiny hammock instead of the ladder stand your dad used or the scrap wood stand his dad sat in.

This entire community revolves around sharing different ideas to accomplish a goal. Think outside the box. You’re sitting in a tiny hammock instead of the ladder stand your dad used or the scrap wood stand his dad sat in.

So you are schooling me on this community? Glad a relative newbie could teach me so much.

Over time, you’ll see unnecessary DIY that makes things more complex. And, in my opinion, it is done just for the sake of saying I DIY’d something. Yes, DIY has it’s place, but it’s place is not always everywhere.

If you have access to a sewing machine, that’s the way to go in my opinion. Most people that are going the knot route can’t or don’t want to sew.

Actually, most don't trust a sewn channel in fleece to support their weight. I sewed a channel in mine simply to insert a zip tie, which allows me to pull it tight and bunch the ends of the fleece evenly. I then girth hitch below that. If you guys are trusting stitching in fleece to support your weight just be aware it will most likely pull out/tear eventually.

Actually, most don't trust a sewn channel in fleece to support their weight. I sewed a channel in mine simply to insert a zip tie, which allows me to pull it tight and bunch the ends of the fleece evenly. I then girth hitch below that. If you guys are trusting stitching in fleece to support your weight just be aware it will most likely pull out/tear eventually.
Mine is a sewn channel like above, but with clothes line. It is what I had. I like the size of a gathered end. Ignore the amsteel knot, that is improved.
93a5e1be897576a18fa25e82d3f379ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am 275 plus or minus (depending on what side of Thanksgiving / Christmas the date is). Double sheet bend does not slip for me at all. Yes, there is more “bulk”, but it does not slip. And when I want it undone, I just pull apart the fleece on both sides of the sheet bend. It releases with minimal fuss.

I mentioned a slipping girth hitch in another thread and I was told I was guilty of "operator error". The sheet bend seems like the best choice since it already proven with ropes. That's what I will try next.

Most hammocks are triple stitched sewn channels. No issue supporting weights up around 500 lbs ratings. Girth hitch your webbing right through the channel and you’ll take even more pressure of the stitching if it worries your. On the second side you can use a retraced figure eight. Sewn channels are great for a finished product and knots can help you mock up to fail in saddle size, bridge length, etc. Great thing about DIY; you can get it exactly the way YOU want it and not something made for the masses. W

Most hammocks are triple stitched sewn channels. No issue supporting weights up around 500 lbs ratings. Girth hitch your webbing right through the channel and you’ll take even more pressure of the stitching if it worries your. On the second side you can use a retraced figure eight. Sewn channels are great for a finished product and knots can help you mock up to fail in saddle size, bridge length, etc. Great thing about DIY; you can get it exactly the way YOU want it and not something made for the masses. W
This sounds like the way i'll do it, is there a specific thread to use?

Back