• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Florida public land quota choices

Weldabeast

SH Member
Quota drawings will be here soon enough....what are y'all's thought process on the where/why of the wma u choose to apply for?
Location is my #1 consideration...I mostly just apply for the closest woods to where I live. I've never gone into the data to try to figure out the wma that produce the highest numbers/biggest bucks.
Fwc let's us choose up to 5 different locations for each given season...my choices remain the same regardless of which part of the season it is..

1. guana,
2. 4 creeks
3. Jennings
4. Bayard
5. Cary

The quota free woods are just a little outta the day trip range but as the kids get older and I'm able to slip away for multiple days at a time I'll start concentrating on Osceola and Ocala

Seems majority of the Florida hunters I meet mostly all focus on a big outta state hunt and anything local is a bonus....one day I'll get to the outta state stuff... Till then, I'll keep cussing the lottery system

Good luck with y'all's quota drawing and maybe I'll see some of u out there.

Thomas Creek Kings road is one I try for, then 4 creeks, Bayard and Cary. I might try for Jennings this year. My quota free zones are Osceola, Sante Fe swamp, and lake George. I got to hang out with the guys from Fl Camo today and the guys from Swamp-N-Stalk they have some spots they love here in the southern portion of the state

I only go for the local wma's. I m lucky enough to be surrounded by them in citrus county. However really only apply for 3. Citrus wma, chassahowiztka wma, and homosasssa wma. However I know I'll never draw one of the 25 for homosasssa, I only apply there for the hope of being able to take a doe. And chass is only lotteries for the first 9 days of any season then is open to the public. Citrus is nice but too many roads in and out and the general public ruin most of my hunts there( generally off roaders but hikers too). I can't really afford to drive all over for a few hours hunt, so I stick within 1/2hr drive from my house.

Lake George was nice....if I strike out on quota this year that'll be my backup....blanding has always been my no quota backup spot but if this next year getting as busy as it did last year I skip blanding and keep going south.

I only go for the local wma's. I m lucky enough to be surrounded by them in citrus county. However really only apply for 3. Citrus wma, chassahowiztka wma, and homosasssa wma. However I know I'll never draw one of the 25 for homosasssa, I only apply there for the hope of being able to take a doe. And chass is only lotteries for the first 9 days of any season then is open to the public. Citrus is nice but too many roads in and out and the general public ruin most of my hunts there( generally off roaders but hikers too). I can't really afford to drive all over for a few hours hunt, so I stick within 1/2hr drive from my house.
Keep at it....we have 1 here that is 20 quotas with no guests during archery/muzz and then drops to 10 no guests quotas for gun and turkey.....I got archery and a turkey in 1 year....it took 7 years of applying but I did get drawn...didn't kill anything thou...hahahaha

4 creeks, Thomas creek, ralph Simmons and Cary are usually my top picks. After that I apply for almost anything within a 1hr-2hr drive for the reissues.

Well count me in for the next one
I’m over on Heckscher drive in Jax about 4 miles from the ocean, so Amelia island ain’t that far from me. You ever wanna meet up to try gear, do some scouting or fishing, let me know

Thanks. I’ll take you up on that one day. I love trying new gear and scouting. It’s been years but I used to spend a lot time chasing fish in that part of the river. Once the flood tides start up would be cool to meet up for a couple tailing redfish.

Back