• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flying with Firearms

Aeds151

I have never flown with firearms. Can anyone recommend a case that is TSA compliant and can carry back a 30-06 and 12ga and 410? If I have to get 2 to fit all firearms that is fine. Anything good on amazon? I need 2 day shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you have TSA compliant locks for every locking hole in the case.

You do NOT need TSA compliant locks, and it's probably not something I would recommend. Depending on how you interpret the law, TSA compliant locks are not compliant for flying with firearms, though the TSA says otherwise.

(Edited to say that you NEED locks, but they don't need to be TSA compliant is what I was trying to say)

Deviant Ollam has a good writeup series on flying with firearms. He has written for The Firearm Blog about it and has a video series about it. He actually uses firearms so that he can secure the rest of his belongings with a non TSA compliant lock.

If you can't afford the Pelican case, you can go for one of Plano's AllWeather offerings. They're not as tough (no reinforcements around the lock holes for example), but they're better than your average gun case. I've been packing mine (only a 36") for a flight this weekend. It's not the best packing job, given that I plucked the foam for an MP5 instead of a shotgun, but I think it will do...

Be7OyMO.jpg

The fact that you have a MP5, I followed your suggestion and got a Plano AW. Will the 2 locks built in be enough?

If there is a hole for a lock it needs a lock. It’s hit or miss sometimes on whether the idiot working at baggage check makes you do that or not so might as well have them. I will echo the TSA lock thing. DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS ON A FIREARM CASE. YOU HAVE TO BE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN OPEN THAT CASE!!!!

The fact that you have a MP5, I followed your suggestion and got a Plano AW. Will the 2 locks built in be enough?

The big thing, I believe, is that, if you were to pop open the latches with the locks in place, you shouldn't be able to stick your fingers into the case. Funny enough, I actually threw out my keys for the built in lock (I think, or at least, I can't find them). I hadn't intended to fly with the case at the time, and I think I was worried about accidentally locking the case and losing the key.

I basically decided on a whim that I'd bring firearms with me on my trip, so I basically used this case because it's what I had. Looking back at the value of the stuff in the case, the extra money for a Pelican would be nice piece of mind (and locks that are better than a plain old Master Lock).

(also, just to clarify, semi auto MP5 SBR clone, not a bonafide full fun MP5 or genuine HK94).

You do NOT need TSA compliant locks, and it's probably not something I would recommend. Depending on how you interpret the law, TSA compliant locks are not compliant for flying with firearms, though the TSA says otherwise.

(Edited to say that you NEED locks, but they don't need to be TSA compliant is what I was trying to say)

Deviant Ollam has a good writeup series on flying with firearms. He has written for The Firearm Blog about it and has a video series about it. He actually uses firearms so that he can secure the rest of his belongings with a non TSA compliant lock.

If you can't afford the Pelican case, you can go for one of Plano's AllWeather offerings. They're not as tough (no reinforcements around the lock holes for example), but they're better than your average gun case. I've been packing mine (only a 36") for a flight this weekend. It's not the best packing job, given that I plucked the foam for an MP5 instead of a shotgun, but I think it will do...

Be7OyMO.jpg
Agree with all you said. I’ve flown a lot with firearms and if you follow the rules, declare you have a unloaded firearm at check in, it’s mostly not a hassle!
is that a Dan Wesson revolver??? I have one with over 10,000 rounds thru it and it still kicks ass!!!

Thanks guys, My friend told me that case has 4 loops get 4 locks. I was asking because my friend came turkey hunting this year, called airline and tsa, got instructions, showed up to airport with cased shotgun and they didnt like somthing so he almost missed his flight. He made it with no gun.

Thanks guys, My friend told me that case has 4 loops get 4 locks. I was asking because my friend came turkey hunting this year, called airline and tsa, got instructions, showed up to airport with cased shotgun and they didnt like somthing so he almost missed his flight. He made it with no gun.

Do not listen to or adhere to any of the information provided by TSA about flying with firearms. Get a case, if it has a hole to put a lock then by god put a lock in it, don't use TSA approved locks. Get locks that either have a key or a combination. I prefer keyed, I have a pelican vault that has 4 holes so I bought 4 keyed locks that are all keyed the same. One key goes in my pocket and the other is secured somewhere in my personal bag that goes with me on the plane. Understand that when dealing with TSA you are interacting with people who's sole purpose in life is to piss you off and make life harder on you. If you work for the TSA and reading this you might be offended. You should be, I think all of you suck...I have not walked away from any TSA situation thinking that was pleasant.

Some years they do it all for free for weeks at a time.

For those that have the Plano AW 52” case, do I need to get regular or long shackle locks? Sorry for questions, I have to have this stuff delivered to place out of state without me getting my hands on case first.

Agree with all you said. I’ve flown a lot with firearms and if you follow the rules, declare you have a unloaded firearm at check in, it’s mostly not a hassle!
is that a Dan Wesson revolver??? I have one with over 10,000 rounds thru it and it still kicks ass!!!

Yep! Dan Wesson 22, currently set up with one of EWK Arms' optics ready shrouds (marked .357) and an 8" barrel, my 6" barrel is hidden somewhere in that case. I'm not a big wheel gun guy, but I bought it for practice since I shoot DA/SA a lot (typically HK USPs), and I'm glad I have it.

For those that have the Plano AW 52” case, do I need to get regular or long shackle locks? Sorry for questions, I have to have this stuff delivered to place out of state without me getting my hands on case first.

Like I said, I only have the 36". But a 3/4" shackle (measured from the top of the body to the inside of the U) was just enough to clear the thickness of the lock, but not enough to be able to get the lock to lie flat along the little shackle keeper slot. Again, my goal was to prevent people from lifting the lid enough to get fingers inside if the latches were popped, which it was sufficiently short to do so.

Be7OyMO.jpg
Agreed on not using TSA compliant locks, thanks for the correction. Do need a lock for every hole in the case.

Back