• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

FOB vs Vanes

DC10

Curious to know if anyone is already using these? Very favorable review by Lusk Archery Adventures.

I shot them for a while.

I disagree with him on arrow noise at the target. I'm fairly convinced at this point that deer are reacting to arrow movement and noise as much as bow noise.

I don't use wraps and such, and it was difficult finding arrows after pass throughs. I also wanted to shoot a whisker biscuit. I may look at it again with doing a wrap on the arrows, and stick a drop away back on there. As far as arrow performance goes, they're pretty much right there with vanes. If you're going to shoot a drop away, and don't want to deal with fletching, for hunting they're fine.

I shoot FOBs and love em. My only complaints about them are; if you miss a target, the arrow is most likely a gonner as the FOB and nock usually come off once it comes in contact with the ground. When placing arrows in my bow quiver, I have to off set them do to the FOB touching. Both are minor annoyances that IMO are worth dealing with when not having to worry about fletching getting bent out shape/having to be replaced. There’s even a video where a guy cut out sections of the FOB and continues to shoot with it accurately. I’ll continue shooting them. My understanding is that these cannot be used for regulated tournaments but nothing against using them for 3D shoots. Least that’s my understanding.

Last edited:
I shoot FOBs and love em. My only complaints about them are; if you miss a target, the arrow is most likely a gonner as the FOB and nock usually come off once it comes in contact with the ground. When placing arrows in my bow quiver, I have to off set them do to the FOB touching. Both are minor annoyances that IMO are worth dealing with when not having to worry about fletching getting bent out shape/having to be replaced. There’s even a video where a guy cut out sections of the FOB and continues to shoot with it accurately. I’ll continue shooting them. My understanding is that these cannot be used for regulated tournaments but nothing against using them for 3D shoots. Least that’s my understanding.
Wouldn’t having reflective wraps on your arrows (as they recommend) make finding your arrow pretty easy?

I used them for years. Very good product. But like everything it has pros and cons. The cons I got is, after they age thru become brittle, they will get caught on brush and pull off if not careful, they do have a slight more noise during flight. But that's it. Pro's, they are easy to use, shoot very well, makes a great locator after shooting critters, very little or hardly any wind drift.

Wouldn’t having reflective wraps on your arrows (as they recommend) make finding your arrow pretty easy?

I haven’t personally tried the reflective wraps. My thought is I don’t really want reflective material up in a tree sitting there reflecting light any time my bow quiver shifts.

I haven’t personally tried the reflective wraps. My thought is I don’t really want reflective material up in a tree sitting there reflecting light any time my bow quiver shifts.
From everything I've read, it has to be directly hit with light and be closer to eye-level (or there about) for you to actually see the reflection. Otherwise, it just appears as white. Plus, most people that I've seen commenting on them that have used them said they've never had an issue with spooking deer because of it.

I am a former archery tech and have always built my own arrows from bare shafts and was skeptical of the FOB but so far I’m loving them . So simple and easy to use and very accurate

I forgot to add one thing about the fob's. It is crucial that the nock end of the arrow is square, so the fob will fit flush. If it isn't, you'll not get the accuracy that your looking for.

Back