• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Folding Saw

tmattson

Looking to get a nice folding saw for hunting, don't mind spending a little extra cash to get something of good quality that will hold up well.
prefer folding to keep size a little more compact.

Silky PocketBoy is a great saw. owned one for years, I've also heard that the wicked saws are nice as well.

Very happy with my Silky Pocketboy.

I compared in person to the Wicked saw of the same size (don’t know the model name). The wicked saw did seem sturdier and more heavy duty, but also bulkier and heavier. So if you tend to beat the snot out of saws, then get the wicked. If you want light and quick, get the Silky. Mine’s the 170 with large teeth.

silky user here too, have had a pocketboy going on 4 seasons now, which is an intrinsic part of my saddle kit. Amazing little saw, will cut anything you'd need for saddle hunting, highly recommended. I also have a 240mm gomboy for modest (sub 6" dia) fire wood and campsite clearing chores. I use it a lot, great all around saw to have on hand. Last season I picked up a katana 650mm too, which I keep in the truck for the occasional need to clear blow downs or cutting larger (8"-14" dia) logs for firewood without having to haul a chainsaw around all the time. The 650 is amazing and will make cuts in most anything you'd use an 18"-20" chainsaw for, but can be a workout if you're not in shape. Anyway, the silky blade technology is for real, best folding saws I've ever used.

how important is size and weight?

opinel makes a nice one that is smaller, lighter than most and has a foolproof, nearly unbreakable locking mechanism (same rotating metal collar found on their knives)

if you want super light and small, there are these, but they don't lock

there's a brand of folding saws from britain that locks and is super light and small, but i'd have to look up the name

Last edited:
I've had the wicked saw since this spring and it eats through small brush and limbs. Took some work but I even cut down about an 8in diameter poplar tree this year. Got it for under $20 too

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I use a Silky Gomboy backpacking and it's great. I'd recommend their smaller Pocketboy saw without hesitation.

This thread made me order a 130mm Silky, thanks a lot guys.

I've been using a cheapo Gerber for 20 years and it works great, all I need is something to cut a couple branches here and there to get up trees and give me room to shoot. I never really gave a thought to upgrading it, but I recently switched to a much smaller fanny pack and it does take up a lot of space in it. Looks like I can cut a little of the bulk with the Silky.

Laplander. Very light cuts on both push and pull. Locks closed and open. Had mine for about 6 years.

Last edited:
Another silky user...well worth it. Don't cheap out. I bought the one treehopper sells after having a discussion with Mark the owner. Super nice guy and he persuaded me into purchasing the one he offers. It lasted for 6 limb cuts before the locking mechanism broke on a 2 inch buckthorn tree.

Silky is the way to go. They are a bit on the heavy side but thats due to the quality. Comes with a nice case you can easily clip to a saddle or pack for quick access.

If this video doesn't sell you on it I'm not sure what will!

I'm on the Corona bandwagon. I have a Hooyman as well and 99% of the time go with the Corona. It's priced right at a local Lowes and they sell replacement blades if needed. It has cleared many a lane for me and fits well enough in my pocket if I want to monkey up a tree to cut out a window for a small lane opening.

I have a Hooyman and while having nothing to compare it to, I cannot complain. It's cut everything I needed to cut easily and comes with a pole saw attachment when needed.

I’ve had a few saws from the hiking days and some poor ones at that. I got a silky and never looked back. Few bucks over some other reliable saws but tools are a investment. It’s still stupid sharpe and very sturdy. Corona is a good saw as well. Just watch for fakes if you order online. Silky and the like are majorly copied and sold at a fraction the cost.

Back