• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Food plots

hunthRd20

hello I could not find a thread about food plots so I thought I would start one. Was wondering if anybody has ever tried to spread cow manure over an already started plot to give it a boost? Specifically a brassica plot that is about 3 to 4 in tall as of now. Seems that it needs a boost

I guess you are wanting to get some N to your established brassica.
The easiest way is to broadcast urea right before a substantial rain. But urea degrades in heat and high humidity if left on the surface, that's why we wait until we expect a half inch or so of rain.
If you spread urea and it doesn't rain as much as expected, it still isn't a waste, but you will lose N.

They also sell coated urea which has a longer "surface life", but I've never tried it so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

Following a legume with brassica is also a good idea. Clovers, beans, sunn hemp put N in your soil so overseeing brassica into legumes is one approach.

I've never spread cow manure, but it is a good source of N so it probably won't hurt.

Be aware, high N content encourages grass weeds. You need to use up unused N.
Rye is great for that, too. Brassica uses N. Some N is good. Too much leads to other issues.

Soil testing is really the only way to know. I looked at some results yesterday that a buddy had. To look at the plot you would think it needed something other than pH adjustment. In reality, it was the low pH not allowing the crop to uptake the nutrients already present in the soil.

Thanks for all the help. One last question is how do I get rid of wood sorrel in my clover plots

Thanks for all the help. One last question is how do I get rid of wood sorrel in my clover plots
Clover and wood sorrel are very similar plants and herbicides that work for one will kill the other too. The best thing we've found in our white clover plots is to let then get up to 8+ inches tall and the wood sorrel can't keep up and gets shaded out. We mow ours down to 3-4" tall 4- 6 times a growing season (just mowed mine this morning, hopefully for the last time this year). We also spray Arrest on ours 2x pe season to eliminate grassy weeds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just replanted a fall plot of winter peas and oats the heavy rain uprooted everything and now the turkeys are eating the seed should have put corn out but it’s illegal

Back