• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

? for arborist/saddle hunter

rj242

So I tried out my Wild Edge steps today, and saw where they mark up the tree a little bit. I have seen post from Arborist saying that you shouldn't climb any tree with climbing spurs unless you are cutting it down (spur marks are prone to disease). So do spurs harm a tree more than some of these other methods of climbing (W.E. Steps, climbing sticks, certain climbing stands, and setting certain platforms etc.?

I am new to saddle hunting (38 yrs of hunting from a Summit tree stand), and I am trying to find a easy/quick way for me to climb a tree, and saddle hunt. I got the WE steps from the classifieds here, and have a set of "Out on a limb" sticks on order. I have watched numerous videos of guys using climbing spurs and they look quick and easy.

I also hunt in southeastern VA, and mostly climb oak, pine, beech, sweet gum and yellow poplar trees. Do you think that it is it likely that I would ever damage one of these trees with climbing spurs?

Damage to the outer bark is mostly cosmetic and doesn't do long term damage to the tree. Spikes pierce through the bark into the wood which leads to decay and its associated problems. Read Dr Alex Shigo if you want to learn how decay works in trees. Or just wait for the accountants, computer programmers, and the rest of the actual experts in tree biology on this forum to chime on how Arborists are full of crap on the issue.

Damage to the outer bark is mostly cosmetic and doesn't do long term damage to the tree. Spikes pierce through the bark into the wood which leads to decay and its associated problems. Read Dr Alex Shigo if you want to learn how decay works in trees. Or just wait for the accountants, computer programmers, and the rest of the actual experts in tree biology on this forum to chime on how Arborists are full of crap on the issue.

as a member of the aforementioned uninformed, I think I know what the issue is. It’s like many things in life - long term vision, perception, thought are tough. It’s hard to imagine and quantify some small thing you do today having a major impact on something down the road. Out of sight out of mind.

but context matters. I suspect most folks are doing more to harm trees in their daily life than they would be even if they climbed with spurs for every hunt.

objectively, piercing the bark of a tree is not good for it. Now, to what degree that negative impact effects the tree, it’s surrounding environ, and the effect that effect has on animals, other trees, us, the planet, etc, is much harder to quantify.

I don’t think the argument is that Spurs don’t kill trees. It’s - so, what? I’m not downplaying the Significance of the damage to trees. I’m just thinking that making fun of people who don’t necessarily share the proper background to make a scientific statement is a bit hypocritical.

but I will read that book - thanks for the rec!

To the OP - yes you’ll damage trees climbing with spurs. If you are concerned to what degree, and what impact that will have on the world at large, better set aside some time to research. And let us know what you find!

I know I hunt bottomground owned by a neighbor who Is a timber man and he didnt care about gaffs just nothing screwed in ever ,I guess mill blades are pricey

I’m just thinking that making fun of people who don’t necessarily share the proper background to make a scientific statement is a bit hypocritical.

I wouldn't make fun of people for not knowing something. We're all ignorant of the world that falls outside our realm of expertise. It's the inevitable lecturing from people that don't have a background in tree biology telling those that do they're full of it that I'm poking at :D

I wouldn't make fun of people for not knowing something. We're all ignorant of the world that falls outside our realm of expertise. It's the inevitable lecturing from people that don't have a background in tree biology telling those that do they're full of it that I'm poking at :D
I didn't see anything wrong with your original comment. I did not comment because I have no experience or other information on tree damage. I like to poke fun at "experts" as well. :laughing:

Since you didn’t tell us? I’m guessing your a plumber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha no plumbing. I've worked as a certified Arborist and have a bachelors degree in Ornamental Horticulture with a concentration in Arboriculture. But when I do hire a plumber I assume they know a heck of lot more about their business than I do :D

Depends on the tree.
Oak wilt can cause some rapid decline and death in mature oaks and is easy to spread with gaff wounds. Happens all the time with pruning wounds too. People might make proper cuts and do almost everything by the book, but if done when a mature oak isn’t dormant and she’s a goner sometimes.

Meanwhile you can cut a box elder down to a stump and it’ll sucker out and keep growing. Lots of silver maple in my area and a storm might break all the tops out and they still seem to keep chugging on for a while.

I’m more into caring for trees in people’s yards and trying to build a decent reputation for adherence to industry standards. Unless I’m removing a tree, or God forbid rescuing someone, the spurs stay in the bag.

I’m not a tree hugger and not here to badger people that wanna spike their own trees. An occasional dead tree in the woods is important to wildlife habitat. Just saying there’s plenty of noninvasive ways to climb and they hurt less if you accidentally step on your own toe or shin. But don’t let me talk you out of it. It is pretty fun :)

I guess my real question is does removing the tree's bark in places hurt it just as bad as spurs? I have climbed many trees with a climbing stand, and many times removed bark, to the point I can see the lumber colored wood in the tree. Where these trees just as susceptible to disease, as gaffed trees? How deep of a cut is to deep?

I have been maple syruping for decades...I have trees with 20 tap holes in them about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half deep...the trees are as healthy as they were 20 years ago...also I have used a climber with agressive teeth that have scarred the side of the tree over 20 years time...tree still as healthy as ever...just my experience I am sure there are many many variables to each individual situations...after almost 40 years of hunting I have gone to spurs this year and a Tethrd Phantom...I am totally hooked...main thing is be safe and have fun...thanks to all who have made this forum what it is...truly amazing experience on saddlehunter.com !

Back