• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

For those that srt

Davis21

Trying out this method for first time this year. Got the throw line and climbing rope. Wondered if it would be possible to clip throw bag to climb rope and throw over limb and skip the throw line step and the pulling rope up step?

You can try it but I don’t think you’ll like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

like the idea of not having to swap ropes over limbs. But little skeptical of how quiet the required equipment is to use??

The climbing rope is too heavy to be guided by a throw ball.

Won't work. Climb line is too heavy/bulky and is not a slick as the throw line.

Appreciate the insights saved me some time not wasting time. Do y’all use this method regularly? How hard is it to get set up on a hunt? I’ve only played with it in back yard

It will work with climb rope if you are setting it with a telescopic pole. I skip the throw line altogether and attach a throw weight to the climb rope so it holds it in place on a limb and then pull it down with the pole. Sometimes depending on the tree and rope size and weight the climb rope will automatically feed down the tree without having to re-hooking it with the telescoping pole.

It will work with climb rope if you are setting it with a telescopic pole. I skip the throw line altogether and attach a throw weight to the climb rope so it holds it in place on a limb and then pull it down with the pole. Sometimes depending on the tree and rope size and weight the climb rope will automatically feed down the tree without having to re-hooking it with the telescoping pole.

Show off. Lol

You'll learn over time that the perfect trees for saddle hunting often times are difficult trees for setting up for SRT. You need some kind of natural cover that helps from getting busted by everything that comes by - deer frequently look up especially if your on the edge of any terrain that drops off. That being said, good luck throwing a line the day of the hunt....while not impossible....it sure can be frustrating listening to every deer for a mile running away laughing all the way. IME(in my experience) you really have to be of the mindset that this technique is a great time saver and energy saver for ascending a tree provided you went in well in advance and got setup. Single sticking or even multiple sticking the day of the first sit works well and then if you plan to return just leave a rope to pull up your climbing rope. I can't justify carrying a telescoping pole to place the climbing rope, only because my hikes in are way too far for that. I guess if you hunt next to your vehicle it's a solid option.

You'll learn over time that the perfect trees for saddle hunting often times are difficult trees for setting up for SRT. You need some kind of natural cover that helps from getting busted by everything that comes by - deer frequently look up especially if your on the edge of any terrain that drops off. That being said, good luck throwing a line the day of the hunt....while not impossible....it sure can be frustrating listening to every deer for a mile running away laughing all the way. IME(in my experience) you really have to be of the mindset that this technique is a great time saver and energy saver for ascending a tree provided you went in well in advance and got setup. Single sticking or even multiple sticking the day of the first sit works well and then if you plan to return just leave a rope to pull up your climbing rope. I can't justify carrying a telescoping pole to place the climbing rope, only because my hikes in are way too far for that. I guess if you hunt next to your vehicle it's a solid option.
I was thinking that with srt girth hitched around the tree would allow me to get into more “branch-y” type trees. Hard part would be getting the rope up there. But once you did you could climb right up through the limbs since you don’t have to go around them like with sticks. But I think run and gunning with sticks might be easier. And then leave a rope for second hunts probably good idea

I was thinking that with srt girth hitched around the tree would allow me to get into more “branch-y” type trees. Hard part would be getting the rope up there. But once you did you could climb right up through the limbs since you don’t have to go around them like with sticks. But I think run and gunning with sticks might be easier. And then leave a rope for second hunts probably good idea

I agree. I've found SRT is great if the tree is pre-set.

Appreciate the insights saved me some time not wasting time. Do y’all use this method regularly? How hard is it to get set up on a hunt? I’ve only played with it in back yard

I've found using the throw rope can be frustrating depending on the tree and surrounding brush. I don't think I'll be trying to use a throw line once the weather gets cold as the fiddle factor is just too high. With that said, Saturday I walked into an area blind, used my throwline, SRTd and then shot a buck a couple hours later.

I'll probably one stick to climb a tree the first time, then will leave paracord in the tree to pull my climb rope up if I plan to hunt it in the future.

At a collapsed length of 54” and 4 or so pounds I have no issue humping it back-Don’t know much about hunting close to the truck. You are correct-throwing a line can be one hell of an adventure even for a seasoned arborist-I personally don’t throw. I do preset and I do hunt day of setting an actual climb rope. I’m not sure where folks get this impression of the technique being noisy? It’s not any more or any less noisy as unpacking sticks and setting them up as you move up the tree. In any event there are techniques to girth hitching trees where there are inaccessible limbs. As with any climbing method you kind of have to chose what trees are available for your method-as you would probably not use a climber on a heavily limbed tree same holds true for SRT. However, with SRT, limbs are a good thing and in my opinion more the better and that’s where a telescoping pole shines. To each there own I guess. If your looking for poles set up alerts on EBay for Carbon Fiber Water-fed poles. New these poles are very expensive and absurd to buy for hunting. However, buying used, as I did, allowed for a small in profile when collapsed and I’m am able to reach limbs 40+ feet off the ground. Another popular and much more affordable pole is a Doca Pole off Amazon with a possible reach of 30 feet. As with anything else it takes practice. Good luck.

@Boomstick300 I've tried the pole thing but still if there are limbs how do you girth hitch with all of those lower branches in the way?
Also, what sort of hook or other apparatus do you have on the end of your pole?

@Boomstick300 I've tried the pole thing but still if there are limbs how do you girth hitch with all of those lower branches in the way?
Also, what sort of hook or other apparatus do you have on the end of your pole?

Okccj-I attach a throw weight or two to the end of my climb rope and slowly extend the pole until I reach a limb. I then hang the climb rope over a limb and let it rest there. Next I walk around the base of the tree and guide it around another branch on the other side. Typically I will end back at where I was originally standing. I will pull that rope down until the other terminating end is just above the deck at that point I will tie an alpine butterfly and run up my tie in point and if I did everything right I will have two equal lengths hanging down. One to climb and the other to allow me to get positive retrieval of my rope or also enables rope access for rescue if I crap the bed in the tree. If the limbs are way too thick that poses a problem because now my shooting lanes are obviously a mess. However, if I was hell bent on getting into a tree like that I would send up my rope the same way and let it hang over a good and healthy limb and let it drop straight down and Basal Anchor the rope on the bottom of the tree. Once I climb up I would set my platform and then attach a separate tether to the tree and disconnect from my climb rope. Clearly the trick to this is practice. Im relatively new to recreational climbing and that’s what drove me to do this for my hunting climbing method. With practice I find this to be an amazing way to get up a tree others find it too involved but that’s what I feel about using 2 WE Stepps and 20 aiders... lol. Not to mention I feel it to be one of the safest methods. Hope that helps. If you are on Face Book there is a SRT Saddle Hunting page with about 50 people on it throwing out their own tricks and methods. Kind of interesting stuff. Good luck and be safe.

989b653dce4b43f9a69be242988c4b5b.jpg

Last edited:
I use a 100' zip line and 12oz weight to set my climbing line all the time. That lets me hit limbs in the 25'-45' realm. I have a 40' climbing line and 60' of 1/4" paracord that I attach to the climbing line to be able to thread around the branch or girth hitch the trunk from the ground and to also be able to pull the climbing line back down or re thread a haul line back up. Its sounds more complicated than it is.

Tossing the throw weight accurately is not stupid easy, but its not hard either. Being a physical thing it requires some technique and practice.

Professor Mumford has a video on everything you need to know about tree climbing and related gear/technique. Tossing a bag on a line is no different: He covers the basics as well as the not so obvious as only Mumford can do...

It is definitely better if you can have haul lines preset where you want to hunt so you don't have to use the throw line, but I run-n-gun a lot too. Sometimes you hit your branch on the first try, other times it takes a few tosses. I also try to hit a branch that will allow me to girth hitch the trunk too. Otherwise the rule of thumb is a branch about thickness of your arm should be more than strong enough. Maybe that should be rule of arm, lol...

I tried smaller zip line bags at first, but they were problematic to reload. So I picked up a fold up throw line cube from edelrid. Folds up with line and weight inside and stuffs into my backpack. The cube keeps the throw line from getting snagged on everything on the ground and is large enough to where the line flies out it easily. After a missed toss you just flake the line back into the bag and throw again or reposition etc,

Wesspur vid on the edelrid.

The first attached pic shows the edelrid bag size in relation to all my other saddle stuff, all of which fits completely inside my badlands super day pack, 2nd pic. The edelrid compresses down in the pack a bit smaller too. The bag in stores into is not tight enough to keep the spring steel wire compressed as flat as it can be on its own, but compresses down nicely when stuffed into a pack.

Attachments

• 20190105_135825-1280-1024.jpg
    20190105_135825-1280-1024.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190921_085104_burnt_island_pull_trail-1280-1024.jpg
    20190921_085104_burnt_island_pull_trail-1280-1024.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 62
I use a 100' zip line and 12oz weight to set my climbing line all the time. That lets me hit limbs in the 25'-45' realm. I have a 40' climbing line and 60' of 1/4" paracord that I attach to the climbing line to be able to thread around the branch or girth hitch the trunk from the ground and to also be able to pull the climbing line back down or re thread a haul line back up. Its sounds more complicated than it is.

Tossing the throw weight accurately is not stupid easy, but its not hard either. Being a physical thing it requires some technique and practice.

Professor Mumford has a video on everything you need to know about tree climbing and related gear/technique. Tossing a bag on a line is no different: He covers the basics as well as the not so obvious as only Mumford can do...

It is definitely better if you can have haul lines preset where you want to hunt so you don't have to use the throw line, but I run-n-gun a lot too. Sometimes you hit your branch on the first try, other times it takes a few tosses. I also try to hit a branch that will allow me to girth hitch the trunk too. Otherwise the rule of thumb is a branch about thickness of your arm should be more than strong enough. Maybe that should be rule of arm, lol...

I tried smaller zip line bags at first, but they were problematic to reload. So I picked up a fold up throw line cube from edelrid. Folds up with line and weight inside and stuffs into my backpack. The cube keeps the throw line from getting snagged on everything on the ground and is large enough to where the line flies out it easily. After a missed toss you just flake the line back into the bag and throw again or reposition etc,

Wesspur vid on the edelrid.

The first attached pic shows the edelrid bag size in relation to all my other saddle stuff, all of which fits completely inside my badlands super day pack, 2nd pic. The edelrid compresses down in the pack a bit smaller too. The bag in stores into is not tight enough to keep the spring steel wire compressed as flat as it can be on its own, but compresses down nicely when stuffed into a pack.

Great write up Deerfly! Got the same Edelrid cube! Those cubes are a must-They work fantastic at keeping you tangle free!

I will pull that rope down until the other terminating end is just above the deck at that point I will tie an alpine butterfly and run up my tie in point and if I did everything right I will have two equal lengths hanging down. One to climb and the other to allow me to get positive retrieval of my rope or also enables rope access for rescue if I crap the bed in the tree. If the limbs are way too thick that poses a problem because now my shooting lanes are obviously a mess. However, if I was hell bent on getting into a tree like that I would send up my rope the same way and let it hang over a good and healthy limb and let it drop straight down and Basal Anchor the rope on the bottom of the tree. Once I climb up I would set my platform and then attach a separate tether to the tree and disconnect from my climb rope. Clearly the trick to this is practice. Im relatively new to recreational climbing and that’s what drove me to do this for my hunting climbing method.

Yep I agree, as long as it's a sturdy branch as you pointed out to take the additional load, a basal anchor if you have the rope for it is a slick way to go for SRT. Another option that's very common with DdRT climbers but can be done with SRT as well, when there's the branches for it, is to do a secured free climb instead of trying to get your rope in perfect spot to make one ascent up the rope. Basically you just get up to some lower branches or maybe close to where your final position is going to be and from there alternate tie ins with your flipline and climb line as you move up the tree.

Here's a vid showing the basic idea. It's looks a little cumbersome but it's easier than it looks and I think he's throwing his lines up pretty short for each reconnect for the video. If he was actually climbing for work he'd have a carabiner/rope snap on the end of his climb line and making throws a branch or two higher each reconnect letting him scale it faster and more smoothly. For SRT it's the same idea but choking the line around the tree instead.

Back