• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

For those who have tried it all...

HappyChappy

SH Member
With so many saddles, climbing methods, packs, and platform options now available, I thought it would be helpful if guys with experience with varied equipment could post their long-term findings all in one place.

Specifically,
1) What have you “settled” on after years of experimentation?
2) What did not work for you?

I know for many of us, our setups are constantly evolving. But for others, perhaps there is no need to change—I’m interested to hear from you!

*Please no company bashing, just honest, time-tested favorite setups

Following. Been in a quest to find the sweet spot to settle on with all my gear I’ve tried, still have, once had, wish I had, wish I didn’t get rid of, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only been around a year, but i hunt from sept-january, multiple days a week. My current setup:
Tactisaddle short bridge, 8mm oplux tether with kong duck, 8mm oplux linesmans with prussic, 30' 8mm oplux rappel with black diamnond figure 8. Ridge runner platform with castration bands, full size hawk helium with a 1" webbing single step aider with a castration band, it seems to help hold the loop open. Single sticking up, rappelling down.

What hasn't worked, SRT, DRT, Bolts, wild edge steps, bluewater assault line (sturdy but bulky and heavy) using a throwbag in the woods, ROS, tethrd mantis ( wedgie city).

The reason I'm throwing my hat in the ring is mostly to say there are so many different ways to hunt elevated, from ladder stands, to lock on, to climbers, to saddles, to tree forts(used to gun hunt outta one) and all the different ways of climbing. Different strokes for different folks, i actually loved climbing with bolts but they didn't work because setting a new tree felt like i was doing something wrong drilling a tree for 2-4 hunts. Plus, a really unfun day in the winter where nothing was frozen except my bolts and climbing down in the dark felt like a dance with death.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I my 15 years of saddle hunting, I have used:

Sticks: LW, Muddy, Heliums, Beast, EWO DIY, Stacked Outdoors

Steps: Ameristep, API lag bolt steps, Cranford (screw in, T-steps, rope on), Climb Paws, WE Stepps, EWO squirrel steps, Bullman Silent Approach and Treehopper steps

Bolts: grade 8 steel, titanium, carbon

SRT: with left hand ascender, foot loop and MR safeguard

DRT: various ropes

One sticking: most of the sticks mentioned above

No sticking: Ridge Runner with two step Aider, WE Stepp with two step Aider

Tether climbing: two 3/16” Amsteel whoopie slings

LWHC: modified with adjustable foot loop and ‘wedges’ of 11mm climbing rope to basically do [mention]Adrena123 [/mention] bolt mod without drilling

I have probably forgotten some other climbing methods.

My favorite is definitely the LWHC. The forests of Western NC and East TN allow for me to easily find trees that are perfect for this method. If I lived somewhere that the trees were huge and gnarly, I would probably choose 20” sticks with a Versa Aider.

The LWHC is:
Lightweight
easy to climb
becomes a roomy, quiet platform at hunting height
Can be adjusted to almost any angle for comfort at height
Can easily and quietly be moved around the tree while hunting to account for wind, deer movement, sun in your eyes, etc
Can be easily adjusted on the way up or down by straddling the tree and changing the notch on the traction belt
With a small bag attached to the bottom, I can unobtrusively carry/store my tether or rappel rope, carabiners and descending devices, kill kit, trail markers etc.
My Doyle’s gear hoist lives on the underside corner of the platform in an EWO fleece bag and I never have to worry about it being there

I use the standard length belt on the LWHC because I’m looking for basketball size trees to get most of the advantages of saddle hunting.

As with anything saddle related, you really need to try stuff to see what works for you and your situations.

This is my 12th season of saddle hunting. I have tried quite a few things and am still tinkering with different climbing methods and saddles - always looking for something better/faster/quieter/lighter/more compact. My list of things I've tried off the top of my head (@mtsrunner style):

Climbing/descending methods: Rapid rails, screw-ins, bolts, cranford rope-on steps, LW sticks, Helium sticks, Wild Edge stepps, multiple aider types and styles, CAYG aider, knaider/swaider, 1-stick with regular and mini stick, rappel down.

Platforms: Ameristep ROS, aluminum step ROS, Tethrd Predator platform, screw-in ROS, bolts ROS

Everyone values different benefits of all the options - I, personally, prefer compact, quiet and easy so I'll carry some extra weight if it fits in or on my backpack. I still have and use multiple different systems for different situations depending on how far I have to hike in, if I'll leave my gear and hunt a tree more than once, etc.

Nowadays, I almost always use my Ameristep ROS with a boat buckle for my platform - I like being able to walk around the tree and it fits in a pouch on my saddle. My mobile climbing method this year is 1-sticking with a 10" mini-stick, 3-step DIY webbing aider and rappel down. My "less mobile" climbing method is 3 21" hawk helium sticks with rope mod and aiders (sometimes multiple, sometimes CAYG). I also will still use 5 Wild Edge stepps with a knaider/swaider on occasion. Sometimes I mix and match these systems - for instance on a tree that I know I'll hunt multiple times I'll use 2 wild edge stepps with kn/sw and then 2 helium sticks above that so I can easily remove the WE stepps and take them in and out with me, leaving the helium sticks 12-14' feet up in the tree where they can't be easily stolen.

As I alluded to and as mtsrunner said above, you gotta figure out what aspects you value most and what works for you and master your own system. I don't know as I'll ever find the "perfect" system, however - I feel like I'll always be making tweaks and trying different things. That's part of the fun for me.

It will be my 4th yr of saddlehunting. Tried xop, lone wolf and Muddy sticks. Artifical hipp and both knees had to carry more sticks. 4 to 5 sticks to noisy and cumberson. the safest and best climbing method for myself is a 16 pack of wild edge stepps. They carry good in my tenzing 4000 backpack and i can place them closer for the bend in my knees. I use 14 up and 1 on each side for platform.

The best advice I can give is give leaning into the saddle with low tether hook up and a platform a serious try. Watch DaveT1963 video on how to use this method. Its a saddle game changer.

I'm single, no kids, and like messing with gear. I like to tell myself I do it so I can help other people avoid wasting money. The reality is I like trying gear out. Tried all the saddles, all the climbing methods.

There's a thread on the tether I use, with an energy absorber.

I use the JX3 hybrid almost exclusively. Long walks, thick crap, on the ground, in a tree, wherever whenever, I'm comfortable when I hunt. Packs my critters out with ease. I see hunting effort in a very different way than most folks I think. The hybrid is in a category by itself.

On occasion, I trot out my kestrel and a ridge runner platform. Low tether hook up, and a stand more than lean posture. You could really sub any saddle and platform if you're hunting this way. I just had the kestrel from get, and none of the others I tried made a material difference in comfort or function. Agree with @kenn1320 it's a great way to hunt. That said, it went from hybrid/kestrel 50/50 two years ago to hybrid/kestrel 95/5 last year. I don't see a reason to use the kestrel this season, but we'll see.

As far as climbing methods, I use bolts when I can as first choice, one stick as second choice, and squirrel steps on ocb's as a third choice. I mostly end up using one stick. I've been doing that several years, and have gotten to a point that climbing with one stick is no different than climbing with multiple sticks. I factor in all time to pack, store, hike, unpack, climb up, climb down, repack, hike out, all of it when thinking about gear. Ultimately, when you have to cross one branch, and you're the type that will always stay hooked up, pretty much every climbing method evens out at that point. I'll take the easiest to carry, and least amount of parts and pieces to deal with.

Packs - I pack my critters out, I don't like making two trips if I'm deep, and I think packs with no hip belt are for cretins. I bought a popup 28 and it's been great. I've packed several of my own, and several friends' deer as well. One of the most enjoyable hunts I've had was walking in about a mile, finding good sign, setting up at the end of my scent trail, having a spike walk right in my lane (I thought it was a doe), making a great shot, watching him fall close by, packing him up, walking out. Left no trace besides a carcass. One trip in and out, max efficiency. Not a giant deer, nothing crazy happened on the hunt. I just executed perfectly, and the plan came together. If I'm not hunting with the hybrid, I'm carrying the popup.

Ground Chair - Honestly, the hybrid is still the winner here, because I can sit low on the actual ground, or I can hook up at base of a tree to get up a little. But I bought a Waldrop Pacseat at DaveT's recommendation a couple seasons ago. I killed a nice buck out of it last year. It's a really nifty setup, and I use it around the house, camp, concerts, etc. too. If I had it to do over again now that I've found the hybrid - I wouldn't buy it because it wouldn't be justified for hunting. But if you're a minimal saddle person, and looking for a good way to ground hunt - look at the waldrop. I actually have made several hunts where I had drill/bolts/ros and kestrel in a pouch on the back of the chair and packed in. Had the option of being in a tree or on the ground. He promotes it as a frame pack, and it will function as so, but the straps are not very comfy. I packed a quarter of an @Nutterbuster doe out on it, and I wouldn't want to tote much more. But it's damn comfy, very versatile, and the guy is cool that makes em.

Platforms - tried them all. Big ones, small ones, trendy ones. I use a ring of squirrel steps on an ocb 95% of the time. The hybrid requires minimal foot support, and I still like going all the way around the tree. I had an assassin for a few seasons. Didn't make sense once I got the hybrid. I tried the ambush, same deal. Tried a predator, didn't make sense to have if I wasn't going to have one I could free stand and turn around on. Made quite a few hunts on a ring of Jim Stepps (wild edge stepps) before discovering the squirrel steps. I built a one stick/platform combo, it works fine, just not my favorite. Bought a ridge runner because I had some ideas i ran by Matt and ultimately wanted to try. I still have it, and if I'm going to use a platform, its the most compact setup that I can turn completely around on. Not my favorite, but like the Kestrel, it checks the most boxes for a platform for me. Ring of steps seems to just make the most sense for most saddle hunting.

The biggest thing I've learned is that the differences between gear are very small, once you know what you're doing. If you suck at scouting places to hunt on the internet, suck at finding sign or deer in real time, suck at executing during a hunt, suck at climbing, suck at everything, the differences in gear will seem huge to you at first. But if you're a somewhat experienced hunter, and have most of your "hunting" activities dialed in, the difference in the saddle, or climbing method, or whatever piece of gear, is usually not a material one. If you can get past the marketing, and the parroting, and the look at me stuff, it's all pretty close to the same. With one exception - like I mentioned before - the JX3 Hybrid. You could swap out every other piece of gear for the worst option, and if I've got the Hybrid, I'll be fine, and get it done.

Practice with your gear. Inspect your gear. Buy stuff used, try it out, compare it to other pieces of gear, sell what doesn't work. I honestly think with the classifieds here, you could set aside 1000.00 and buy all used gear, hunt with it, and sell it for 900.00 every season. We're awful lucky that its such a robust market. We're all shaped different, have different preferences, approach things differently. Only time and experience with the gear will reveal the subtle differences. But remember they're subtle. Not many game changers...

I'm single, no kids, and like messing with gear. I like to tell myself I do it so I can help other people avoid wasting money. The reality is I like trying gear out. Tried all the saddles, all the climbing methods.

There's a thread on the tether I use, with an energy absorber.

I use the JX3 hybrid almost exclusively. Long walks, thick crap, on the ground, in a tree, wherever whenever, I'm comfortable when I hunt. Packs my critters out with ease. I see hunting effort in a very different way than most folks I think. The hybrid is in a category by itself.

On occasion, I trot out my kestrel and a ridge runner platform. Low tether hook up, and a stand more than lean posture. You could really sub any saddle and platform if you're hunting this way. I just had the kestrel from get, and none of the others I tried made a material difference in comfort or function. Agree with @kenn1320 it's a great way to hunt. That said, it went from hybrid/kestrel 50/50 two years ago to hybrid/kestrel 95/5 last year. I don't see a reason to use the kestrel this season, but we'll see.

As far as climbing methods, I use bolts when I can as first choice, one stick as second choice, and squirrel steps on ocb's as a third choice. I mostly end up using one stick. I've been doing that several years, and have gotten to a point that climbing with one stick is no different than climbing with multiple sticks. I factor in all time to pack, store, hike, unpack, climb up, climb down, repack, hike out, all of it when thinking about gear. Ultimately, when you have to cross one branch, and you're the type that will always stay hooked up, pretty much every climbing method evens out at that point. I'll take the easiest to carry, and least amount of parts and pieces to deal with.

Packs - I pack my critters out, I don't like making two trips if I'm deep, and I think packs with no hip belt are for cretins. I bought a popup 28 and it's been great. I've packed several of my own, and several friends' deer as well. One of the most enjoyable hunts I've had was walking in about a mile, finding good sign, setting up at the end of my scent trail, having a spike walk right in my lane (I thought it was a doe), making a great shot, watching him fall close by, packing him up, walking out. Left no trace besides a carcass. One trip in and out, max efficiency. Not a giant deer, nothing crazy happened on the hunt. I just executed perfectly, and the plan came together. If I'm not hunting with the hybrid, I'm carrying the popup.

Ground Chair - Honestly, the hybrid is still the winner here, because I can sit low on the actual ground, or I can hook up at base of a tree to get up a little. But I bought a Waldrop Pacseat at DaveT's recommendation a couple seasons ago. I killed a nice buck out of it last year. It's a really nifty setup, and I use it around the house, camp, concerts, etc. too. If I had it to do over again now that I've found the hybrid - I wouldn't buy it because it wouldn't be justified for hunting. But if you're a minimal saddle person, and looking for a good way to ground hunt - look at the waldrop. I actually have made several hunts where I had drill/bolts/ros and kestrel in a pouch on the back of the chair and packed in. Had the option of being in a tree or on the ground. He promotes it as a frame pack, and it will function as so, but the straps are not very comfy. I packed a quarter of an @Nutterbuster doe out on it, and I wouldn't want to tote much more. But it's damn comfy, very versatile, and the guy is cool that makes em.

Platforms - tried them all. Big ones, small ones, trendy ones. I use a ring of squirrel steps on an ocb 95% of the time. The hybrid requires minimal foot support, and I still like going all the way around the tree. I had an assassin for a few seasons. Didn't make sense once I got the hybrid. I tried the ambush, same deal. Tried a predator, didn't make sense to have if I wasn't going to have one I could free stand and turn around on. Made quite a few hunts on a ring of Jim Stepps (wild edge stepps) before discovering the squirrel steps. I built a one stick/platform combo, it works fine, just not my favorite. Bought a ridge runner because I had some ideas i ran by Matt and ultimately wanted to try. I still have it, and if I'm going to use a platform, its the most compact setup that I can turn completely around on. Not my favorite, but like the Kestrel, it checks the most boxes for a platform for me. Ring of steps seems to just make the most sense for most saddle hunting.

The biggest thing I've learned is that the differences between gear are very small, once you know what you're doing. If you suck at scouting places to hunt on the internet, suck at finding sign or deer in real time, suck at executing during a hunt, suck at climbing, suck at everything, the differences in gear will seem huge to you at first. But if you're a somewhat experienced hunter, and have most of your "hunting" activities dialed in, the difference in the saddle, or climbing method, or whatever piece of gear, is usually not a material one. If you can get past the marketing, and the parroting, and the look at me stuff, it's all pretty close to the same. With one exception - like I mentioned before - the JX3 Hybrid. You could swap out every other piece of gear for the worst option, and if I've got the Hybrid, I'll be fine, and get it done.

Practice with your gear. Inspect your gear. Buy stuff used, try it out, compare it to other pieces of gear, sell what doesn't work. I honestly think with the classifieds here, you could set aside 1000.00 and buy all used gear, hunt with it, and sell it for 900.00 every season. We're awful lucky that its such a robust market. We're all shaped different, have different preferences, approach things differently. Only time and experience with the gear will reveal the subtle differences. But remember they're subtle. Not many game changers...

Awesome post and experience shared! Curious, do you pack the pop up 28 with the hybrid? If so, does it seem redundant to have two frames on your back?
Thanks!

After several years of saddle hunting I have settled on the JX3 Hybrid. I like to be comfortable when I hunt as I sit longer and I sit still, thus seeing more deer. As far as climbing if I am going a place I am familiar with I will take one muddy stick. If I don’t know the area I will take 3 Lone Wolf sticks that have a double step on the top. My JX3 Hybrid however is my favorite piece of hunting equipment ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guess I’ll go.
I have not tried everything but I have put together a system over the last few years that I’m very satisfied with.

Climbing method:
Preferred—Lone Wolf sticks cut to 24” with G Blevins standoff mod and no aiders.
I like this set up because they are simple/familiar to use, light enough, compact, and can get me in any tree I want to hunt. Running multiple sticks is not the lightest option out there, but that is less important to me than ease of use and simplicity.

What didn’t work for me:
Muddy pros—never gave them a fighting chance since I returned them after I realized there were several missing parts during assembly. Just had a bad taste in my mouth and didn’t think I should have to go to the hardware store to finish assembling sticks that cost me $180.
Full length Hawk heliums—I actually liked these sticks but sold them to a friend who needed some for a good price. Just a nuance, but I prefer the square tubing of the lone wolf over the i beam design on the heliums. The double steps were nice though and weight was not much more than the lone wolf sticks.
Aiders—single steps were ok and cable aiders look promising, but I never was real comfortable with any webbing aider, especially multistep aiders in the dark. I just decided to take a couple extra sticks if I want to get higher since they weigh so little and are so compact after doing the mods.
Cranford rope steps—wishful thinking on my part. These do work, but every time I used them I was frustrated at the number of steps I had to install. For me, the added bulk of sticks was definitely worth the time saved. Maybe squirrel steps are faster, but these are just fidgety and take time to get tight.
Bolts—not fast or energy efficient for me as a run and gun setup. I used them last year and enjoyed the compactness but hated the drilling. I use them for presets on private though.
Screw in steps—cranfords>ameristep for sure, but again, time and energy consuming compared to lightweight sticks.

Packs:
Preferred—HPG Connor
This pack has all the features I was looking for in a saddle hunting minimalist pack...transports sticks and platform and all gear needed. Comfortable carry too.

Secondary—HT Bushcraft Satchel
I use this when I do use bolts or cranfords. Once weighed down, it’s not as comfortable for long treks as a backpack, but for short hauls, it’s awesome. I will continue to find other non hunting uses for it too.

What didn’t work:
Lots of other “cheap” packs from Walmart and Amazon. I haven’t tried them all, and I have seen some Amazon packs on this site that look absolutely perfect. But the ones I tried were lacking.

Platform:
Preferred—predator

What didn’t work:
LWHC—tried this an entire season and just couldn’t fall in love with it. I know some guys have.

ROS—nope, not for me. Much prefer a platform. If I had a guidos or JX3, it would make complete sense, but not my preferred choice with my soft saddle.

Saddle:
This is not meaningful since I’ve only ever used a Kite, but I am satisfied with it. The CRUZER XC and JX3 have my antennae up though.

Back