• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Found a great funnel! What to do?

1simplemann

SH Member
I had been wanting to check out a particular pc of land for years. Never have because it's a long drive and I have several good areas much closer. Well last week I got tip that it might be worth checking out. So I did. WOW The place is a jungle. The kind of place big bucks love! It's very thick w/ few trees to hunt out of. Those you do find the shot is going to be close and you not going to see them coming. In the middle of this place though, I found a place where it opens up and offers good shooting and you can see them coming. It's a narrow long strip of cottonwoods surrounded by thick heavy cover. There are great trails running down each side and the middle of the strip of cottonwoods The deer are taking the path of least resistance on their way out to the alfalfa field or back from it. The grove is 40 yds wide by 100yds long. All paths lead to it or away from it. It's like a junction area. There is a quadruple tree on the down wind side. The tree has a ton of cover. I think I have a good entrance path figured out. Here's the problem, I generally don't set up trees this late. I like to have this stuff done in the spring. I can make the time to set it up but it's still risky to do it this late in the yr. I don't feel there is a big one there right now but I feel a big one will move thru later in a few weeks. The properties to the west and east both have some whoppers on them. I feel I might catch one of them passing thru when things kick off but we have a late rut here so I feel I have 3 weeks to let it cool down. Normally if I set up a tree during season then I wait till it rains.No rain in the forecast and it's either this weekend or nothing. Should I risk it? Wait till next spring?

The first thing I would do is to ask 1 question.........What would John do ? I would go for it and set up now. Sounds like you will have enough time to let things settle down. Hopefully you will have some wind to help. Use the scent lok clothes and rubber boots. Get in and out quickly. If it does not work you will at least have a spot started for next year ! Good Luck !

First of all, what are you talking about for setup? Do you have to cut shooting lanes? Screw in tree steps? Are you using climbing sticks (LW/Muddy/etc)?

Since it's cottonwood trees I'm assuming you're using sticks or screw in steps. Both of those can be done with minimal noise and effort. If I couldn't hunt it right away, I'd sneak in at mid-day and do my business. I'd rather setup and hunt. I've always had great success the very first sit anyway. I've found deer will pay less attention to an intrusion at a funnel/travel route as opposed to a bedding area. If you've got a good entrance/exit mapped out that will keep you from bumping deer, I don't see any reason to stay away.

If it were me, there's no way I wouldn't hunt that spot. I think sometimes we give deer too much credit.

I'm setting the tree up Sunday. Can't let this spot go. Looks too good. Property is public and tomorrow is opening day of firearm. There will be people there. This property gets hunted that much I'm positive on but it's so thick it's almost impossible to shoot anything w/ a rifle except in 1 corner of the property. The rest of it is so thick that even a shotgun and buckshot would be tough. The deer will just run around you and never leave. To me, it looks like an ideal all day spot w/ natural deer movement and maybe a possible escape route. Either way, it's needs to be hunted to find out how good it is. Hopefully I won't make too much of a disturbance. What I'm really hoping for is catching a cruising buck from the neighboring properties. If so then that buck won't even notice the disturbance because he's on the neighbors right now. They have some whoppers so I could easily see catching a mature buck looking for does in this thick area. I've seen this many times in the past, new bucks from other areas just show up looking for does. I've let them go, to grow up and never seen them again.

redsquirrel said:
So how'd it go?
Life got in the way. Too many things I've got to get done and not enough free time. Took a friend elk hunting Sat. Sunday, I fully intended to make the drive and spend the day up there. I wanted to set up at least 2-3 trees. Instead took care of the leaves, cleaned the gutters, My MnL's gutters, picked up my elk from the butcher, put away 4 boxes of meat etc, but one thing I got accomplished was I upgraded the seats, offset brackets, replaced several broken versa knobs on 3 of my LW's. I still intend to use them. I have several trees set up where they work really well. As a bonus I now have 3 old LW Alpha seats that I intend to convert into mini LW assasin platforms. Next spring's project. BTW I might have watched a little football also!

I hear you! I left my out of state trip to NY early because I got a voicemail about a job I applied for. So yesterday I spent the day waiting for the call back and was finally able to seal my driveway. Still have to do the leaves in the backyard and blow out the gutters too. I'm off next week and will be spending most days in the tree all day so I have a few more days to get in yard work ;)

hey Simplemann and redsquirrel - can you please keep your giant lists of honeydo items and other chores that need to be taken care of to yourselves? I have all of those same responsibilities that I manage to put off during hunting season. I come here to saddlehunter to forget about those things, not be reminded of what a huge loser I am.

That is all. :)

Ask her,It's all my fault. I asked her to marry me. LOL Seriously though, I had to get some stuff done because I've been putting it off. There is ZERO chance I'll do it in November. Plan to set the trees this weekend for sure. Same friend wants to try for an elk again so 1 day elk hunting and 1 day setting up trees. Not sure which days though.

HAHA, I will keep them to myself. I would normally be neglecting them as well but I've been having such a good season I decided to try to take care of some things to keep things pleasant at home. Don't worry, starting saturday I have a new buck tag and I will be back to completely neglecting things around the home :D

You guys are bumming me out. I got slammed with having to run the gambit when I want to hunt early mornings coming up. I have to drop off one of my kids at school in the mornings it that doesn't conform with my normal rut routine. I have off on election day as well. So do the kids. Guess who's staying home with them. :x
Plus I'm in the middle of playing cat and mouse with a giant. I'm at the point with this deer that I've passed on about 30 different oportunities. I'm going to make a stew with both of my buck tags and my 4 doe tags by the time its over with. I heard the trick to making them palatable is plenty of salt and pepper. :(

Bigburner said:
You guys are bumming me out. I got slammed with having to run the gambit when I want to hunt early mornings coming up. I have to drop off one of my kids at school in the mornings it that doesn't conform with my normal rut routine. I have off on election day as well. So do the kids. Guess who's staying home with them. :x
Plus I'm in the middle of playing cat and mouse with a giant. I'm at the point with this deer that I've passed on about 30 different oportunities. I'm going to make a stew with both of my buck tags and my 4 doe tags by the time its over with. I heard the trick to making them palatable is plenty of salt and pepper. :(

My wife keeps reminding me that things are going to change when we have a baby....

Just take advantage of the time out there when you do get out!

Trees are set up. Deer beds in both areas. One interesting little detail though, as we were walking in with 2" of fresh snow. Fresh GRIZZLY tracks down the trail. 12-14" footprint! A little unnerving! I was carrying my semi auto slug gun just in case. Found his tracks later in the day but they already melted quite a bit. 2nd time I have found his tracks in there. I hope he dens up soon because if not then that would make for some interesting game retrieval.

Good luck with the spot! Hope that bear stays away! My bears aren't that big but they are a huge pain in my ass too!

Talked to a retired game warden tonite who is familiar w/ this area. He confirmed my concerns. 11-13 grizzlies living on this particular river bottom(20 miles long). He also said that he has seen 180" deer on the property right next door. He said lots of big bucks do cruise that area. Just this one small detail. 800 lb grizzlies. I just keep thinking about walking into my tree in the dark an hour before daylight and running into this bad boy. I'm willing to do a lot of things for a big buck but this makes me nervous. May have to wait till daylight before enter the woods. One thing is for sure, I'm going to be packing a slug gun w/ the plug out!

1simplemann said:
Talked to a retired game warden tonite who is familiar w/ this area. He confirmed my concerns. 11-13 grizzlies living on this particular river bottom(20 miles long). He also said that he has seen 180" deer on the property right next door. He said lots of big bucks do cruise that area. Just this one small detail. 800 lb grizzlies. I just keep thinking about walking into my tree in the dark an hour before daylight and running into this bad boy. I'm willing to do a lot of things for a big buck but this makes me nervous. May have to wait till daylight before enter the woods. One thing is for sure, I'm going to be packing a slug gun w/ the plug out!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Back