• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fourth Arrow 2.1

kyler1945

SH Member
I had aluminum plates for the base cut by a forum member, and replaced all the bolting with aluminum. I think that cut out around a pound or so of weight, it was significant. However, I took the fourth arrow carbon arm on two hunts, and quickly realized the same things that other saddle hunters are seeing. The two long arms don't work great for working in between you and the tree. I had this little arm left over from another modification to a cheap setup (posted here - https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/modified-camera-arm.3776/ )

I really like how quick and easy setting up the shoulder of the 4th Arrow, so I dug in here. We chopped off the bottom of the shoulder, and welded in place. Then I bolted everything back together with the aluminum studs, nuts, and tubing.

Then we welded a piece of 5/8" tubing (coincidentally, the same tubing from the aluminum modification to the base) to the first arm section. This proved difficult as the square tubing is very thin. If I had to do over again, and didn't care about weight/money - I'd go solid 5/8 round stock, and 1/8" wall tubing. I'll Likely do this upgrade at some point. I just found a combination of bolts and nuts and washers and spacers that worked with the arms. Honestly, you can buy 3/4" and 1" aluminum tubing for about 10.00 and make one from scratch. I just had these pieces laying around.

The carbon arm kit I bought weighed 4lb 14oz. The benro head is 1lb 3oz. total weight now is a hair under 3lb 12oz. with a significantly smaller footprint, and close to the same reach. My camera weighs a pound, a heavy duty arm is just not necessary. Shaving 40% of the weight is nice!

IMG_0786.JPGIMG_0787.JPGIMG_0870.JPGIMG_0871.JPG

Also, after I left the shop my buddy sent me this picture, he eliminated the nuts and just welded everything together. If it shaves a few ounces, I may redo it next time I'm there - it sure looks a lot cleaner and will pack nicer. Next up is a way to keep this thing from tearing stuff up in pack - we have a couple ideas...

IMG_0872.JPG

Nice...how much weight do you think you saved on the original base by switching to aluminum plates and welding(eliminating the bolts?

Very nice! I'm curious how you like the Benro head? I've been looking for something to replace my Manfrotto 701HDV...it's overkill for the smaller camera I'm using now. Also, do you think the forum member who cut you the plates would be willing to make another set? Thanks in advance!

Very nice! I'm curious how you like the Benro head? I've been looking for something to replace my Manfrotto 701HDV...it's overkill for the smaller camera I'm using now. Also, do you think the forum member who cut you the plates would be willing to make another set? Thanks in advance!

I love the head - my canon g20 weighs a pound - even spending that cash seemed like overkill. But it is a huge difference from the junky plastic ones that come on the cheap arms. I have been considering shortening the control arm at some point to improve packability.

I'm not sure, I'll message him and ask. Not sure he wants a flood of emails haha. This would be a great product for @DanO to offer with the machine capabilities.

You honestly could make yourself if you bought some aluminum plate and cut with band saw/jigsaw. The more we hacked into these things the more we realized the dimensions aren't all that critical. You can make the plates in many different shapes, so long as you can access the adjustment knob for the ball joint.

@bowhunter15 is the fellow who cut the plates for me. He said it probably won't happen until after the season, but shoot him a message and he can get a list of folks who want them post season.

I modified several different times. We all set up a little different. I found that for me, and with the base that I'm using, that the first arm being around 12" long, and the second arm being 8" long worked best. It allowed the camera to pass between tree and me even if the base is directly in front of me.

I lose the reach that lot's of folks prefer. I could get by with a third section, but I found it useless. Filming is secondary to killin for me still.

I modified several different times. We all set up a little different. I found that for me, and with the base that I'm using, that the first arm being around 12" long, and the second arm being 8" long worked best. It allowed the camera to pass between tree and me even if the base is directly in front of me.

I lose the reach that lot's of folks prefer. I could get by with a third section, but I found it useless. Filming is secondary to killin for me still.

Thanks, I've been using two 12 inch arms the last few seasons, so I'm not to far off was just curious. This will be my 4th or 5ty year trying to film and think I've got 2 kills on camera lol most of the time I forget the camera and just shoot

@kyler1945 have you looked at @BCHunter Camera arm it looks fantastic, compact and light

I have now! haha, it's great. I like it a lot. Like mentioned in his thread, the base is the killer. I'm almost to the point where i'm going to do something much more compact, get it as level left to right as I can, only have an adjustment in and out on the top of the bracket, and then tight the joints in the arm. That way if it's not level, my tiny little camera won't cause it to drift.

I already shaved at least a pound maybe more off my shoulder mount. But for a small handheld digital camera, fourth arrow could build a mini ball and socket setup. Theirs will support a 30lb camera, and it's just not needed.

At the end of last season, I considered just filming with Gopro, and being done with it. Good odds I bring my DSLR in the woods this year to get good still shots, and just film with gopro.

Back