• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frankensaddle

Maustypsu

What I like about the saddles I have tried:

Guido's Web fork.

The foam mod on Sit Drag / the "firmness" of the neoprene/leather Trophyline Tree Saddle.

The comfort and simplicity of the Anderson Sling.

The adjustability of the Ropeman.

So I built this prototype.
Anderson Sling as the base. I stitched it together, yet firmly apart. And I added foam. I made it bigger than the Sit Drag but smaller than the Tree Saddle.

I cut the tree strap off the Anderson and stitched it back as a fixed length bridge. This can be removed for an adjustable or other fixed bridge later as I see fit.

Then I made a pocket for a quick cut 2x1 wood fork.

Total weight with fixed bridge and without any tree strap is 2.51 lbs.

For now I plan to use the Treehopper with it since the re-stitched bridge was done by me and I won't trust my life to a 1938 Singer just yet. Although I'd like to see the drop test that breaks my stitches before it breaks the Anderson.

adbf443a087700ba716c7ee11305085a.jpg

672c7ae4aad34eb5bf4f2b3ff57ba0a3.jpg

6e7708a5b0f6a0e0f72352aa2cbe228e.jpg

549e7293ab485418434f752a7756c7b2.jpg

Last edited:
Flingin has been stacking deer like chord wood, no need for us to rush.:sunglasses:

Looks like a good saddle. Not sure where I stand on the fork, but it seems like you know what you're talking about. Having never used the GW, I can't really say. But I haven't yet felt the need for one.
Knock one down, man.

Looks like a good saddle. Not sure where I stand on the fork, but it seems like you know what you're talking about. Having never used the GW, I can't really say. But I haven't yet felt the need for one.
Knock one down, man.

X2!! Nice work

Knock one down, man.

I don't have as much practice putting weight on my knees as you. :rolleyes:
I really miss the fork. I'm working on some other ideas to replicate the TreeSuit as well. Again to keep my knees off the tree. The solid seat is nice too. Keeps all pressure off of everything except my fat butt which was meant to hold my weight. (my weight isn't meant to be so much tho).

2 1/2 lbs that gets me 80-90% of what I want... 1/4 the weight of the Web, can be rolled up nearly as small as the TrophyLine. Larger seating area than the Sit Drag. And I only have $60 plus spare parts in it. I need to clean it up and secure the wood with a strap. I'm going to look at different foams over time as well to find: a super cool, extra fancy, firm as a rock, soft as a babies bottom, and carbon-infused fart-blocker technology.

I can't believe im writing this but I try not to kneel either lean or straddle. Lol my wife was standing over me and just walked off saying "oh my god your ridiculous" lol:grinning::grinning::grinning:

[QUOTE="Maustypsu, post: 24534, member: 441] And I'm going to look at different foams over time as well to find: a super cool, extra fancy, firm as a rock, soft as a babies bottom, and carbon-infused fart-blocker technology.[/QUOTE]

Fart blocker hahaha

I don't have as much practice putting weight on my knees as you. :rolleyes:
I really miss the fork. I'm working on some other ideas to replicate the TreeSuit as well. Again to keep my knees off the tree. The solid seat is nice too. Keeps all pressure off of everything except my fat butt which was meant to hold my weight. (my weight isn't meant to be so much tho).

2 1/2 lbs that gets me 80-90% of what I want... 1/4 the weight of the Web, can be rolled up nearly as small as the TrophyLine. Larger seating area than the Sit Drag. And I only have $60 plus spare parts in it. I need to clean it up and secure the wood with a strap. I'm going to look at different foams over time as well to find: a super cool, extra fancy, firm as a rock, soft as a babies bottom, and carbon-infused fart-blocker technology.
Yeah. I 'preciate that. Lol.
Thanks

I predict this will lead the " lighter is better" saddle revolution. Though borrowed from a saddle currently in production ( web) , the addition of the fork in a lighter more user friendly saddle is brilliant! Kudos sir!!!

The final result will be just a bit different. But I think I will land on my go-to...

All of my thoughts are stitched up and confirmed for function and weight... Honestly, I think I can build my own from webbing, but then I'm trusting my own stitching 100%. If I could do that, I would make the bottom straps closer together and stiffer...
might end up with four straps that are almost on a bend. a little back support, stiffer seat, fork but a bit smaller over all would be fine. John really got me leaning forward and liking that.
But the Web showed me that being able to lean back for awhile on a long sit - when I'm not trying to sleep - can really extend the comfort. So I need to find that fine line, even if it means I need to put a pad on the TreeHopper and double it as linemans belt and optional back rest...

The final result will be just a bit different. But I think I will land on my go-to...

All of my thoughts are stitched up and confirmed for function and weight... Honestly, I think I can build my own from webbing, but then I'm trusting my own stitching 100%. If I could do that, I would make the bottom straps closer together and stiffer...
might end up with four straps that are almost on a bend. a little back support, stiffer seat, fork but a bit smaller over all would be fine. John really got me leaning forward and liking that.
But the Web showed me that being able to lean back for awhile on a long sit - when I'm not trying to sleep - can really extend the comfort. So I need to find that fine line, even if it means I need to put a pad on the TreeHopper and double it as linemans belt and optional back rest...
I'm not commenting on the frankensaddle... yet.... I'm just commenting on your signature. Hmm... maybe I just bought frankensaddle.com so you can't??? muahhahaha!

The world awaits your feedback, Red. The VP debate ratings are suffering...
I actually looked and thought about it... I was going to buy it and re-direct here for fun in case anyone here actually looked.

Back