• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Friction Hitch Cord

JC3

Is there a friction hitch cord (make or style) that could be considered "universal", that would work on most any rappel or tether line?
Taking into account the correct diameter ie. the hitch cord is 2 mm less than the diameter of the main line.
The ends could be sewn or knotted.
Not worried about the cost, just want good performance.

Is there a friction hitch cord (make or style) that could be considered "universal", that would work on most any rappel or tether line?
Taking into account the correct diameter ie. the hitch cord is 2 mm less than the diameter of the main line.
For one or two time use or a season? The answer is yes, Absolutely but also with the understanding not all hitch cord or climbing rope materials are created equal. The standard sterling accessory cord as well as Bluewater accessory cords come in many different diameters (and break strengths) which would allow them to work with essentially any rope as long as your cord is between 60 and 80 percent of your main line however, don’t expect those accessory cord to hold up for more than a season or two if it’s used on high tenacity polyester or technora lines … they are much more abrasion resistant than that hitch cord will be. Another factor is how you plan to use the cord. Are you climbing on it Ddrt or JRB style? Or is it just a cord to hold you to your tether/lineman’s lanyard? Because the amount of heat (caused by sliding the hitch) will play a factor as well in how long they last.

Come to the light....

For one or two time use or a season? The answer is yes, Absolutely but also with the understanding not all hitch cord or climbing rope materials are created equal. The standard sterling accessory cord as well as Bluewater accessory cords come in many different diameters (and break strengths) which would allow them to work with essentially any rope as long as your cord is between 60 and 80 percent of your main line however, don’t expect those accessory cord to hold up for more than a season or two if it’s used on high tenacity polyester or technora lines … they are much more abrasion resistant than that hitch cord will be. Another factor is how you plan to use the cord. Are you climbing on it Ddrt or JRB style? Or is it just a cord to hold you to your tether/lineman’s lanyard? Because the amount of heat (caused by sliding the hitch) will play a factor as well in how long they last.
The diameter ratio is understood, as is the load rating, no problem there.
The ropes that I use are 8mm Res Tech and 9mm Protac
I single stick climb with a JX3 and rappel down, approx. 20 -25 times a year.
Was hoping to locate a single "style or make" of cord that would work on both ropes.

Was hoping to locate a single "style or make" of cord that would work on both ropes.
Of what I have messed with I prefer 6mm Sterling TRC. I use the res tech rappel rope as well and oplux before that. I have also used it on Canyon Elite with no issues.

7mm VT from Bluewater would work on both add one extra wrap to whatever hitch you use when using it on the 8mm rope
6mm TRC would work as well but it might bind hard on the 9mm rope since it’s at the lower end of the acceptable size spectrum

7mm VT from Bluewater would work on both add one extra wrap to whatever hitch you use when using it on the 8mm rope
6mm TRC would work as well but it might bind hard on the 9mm rope since it’s at the lower end of the acceptable size spectrum
Thanks.

The TRC x2, but the Beal in 5.5 is also awesome! Both can be had at EWO
I personally wouldn’t use 5.5 on 9mm it would bind up pretty hard since it’s at the bottom end of the acceptable percentage. I try my best to stay around 70 to 75%

I use 10.5mm-11mm and use an Icetail Michocan 5 wrap when I use a Ropewrench. This combo tends like butter and grabs reliably. I know the rage is trying to use relatively small diameter climbing line with even smaller prussic cord- I have never been able to get these combos to work smoothly. Of course RADS is pretty old tech as far as climbing srt and there are much more efficient ways to climb.

Just tried the one @Brocky drew in the middle. Really like that so far! What is that one called?

Attachments

• 15E26D85-503E-4D8D-A955-C2EA911A140B.png
    15E26D85-503E-4D8D-A955-C2EA911A140B.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
Back