• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Friction saver / tree squeeze from Wespur

TheYote

I took the advice of some on here and purchased a friction save to help with my fear of gaffing out. My question is how in the heck do I install it on my linemans belt? From the videos I've seen on YouTube it looks like you don't use your linemans belt anymore, that the friction saver line now wraps around the tree. I'm confused

I got this one

Attachments

• 9EA177AB-073F-46B4-A325-C855A82BC740.jpeg
    9EA177AB-073F-46B4-A325-C855A82BC740.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 114
A tree squeeze is a specific brand that may be somewhat nicer for this application, I think. From what I see you run the lineman belt through the rings, and adjust the prusik on the friction saver so that the rings are a few inches apart. if you fall they grab the tree.

you use your lineman's belt through the rings.

A tree squeeze is a specific brand that may be somewhat nicer for this application, I think. From what I see you run the lineman belt through the rings, and adjust the prusik on the friction saver so that the rings are a few inches apart. if you fall they grab the tree.

you use your lineman's belt through the rings.
So there goes my ropeman 1. This line is 40mm. LoL I knew there was a catch

You run your lines lanyard through the O-rings on the bucks squeeze. The bucks squeeze becomes your linesman’s lanyard. Your linesman’s lanyard will go through the o-rings and will be in the front side of the tree, one if the o-rings is hooked into a prusik on the buck squeeze. So if you slip or gaff out as long as you keep your lanyard fairly snug to the tree you will only fall perhaps a foot or so.

Several gents have made their own squeeze. @BassBoysLLP I believe made one using a lone wolf strap

So there goes my ropeman 1. This line is 40mm. LoL I knew there was a catch

The line is 40mm? The image you posted says the line is 1/2" and the ring is 40 mm. There are a couple of ways I think that you could use it as a tree squeeze that would allow you to use your ropeman but, you might have to put on/take off the ropeman each time you climb.

Your Ropeman won't go on that line. You will wrap that line around the tree and then with both rings in front of you, you will feed your linemans through the rings. Your linemans belt will never pass around the tree, just the wespur rope goes around the tree. You can still use your Ropeman on your linemans belt same as before.

What @bowhuntr09 said. Assuming your issue is the ropeman won't go through the rings you can either take it off and put it back on at the tree or you can leave the ropeman on the side attached to your saddle and pass the other end of your linesmans rope through the rings then attach it to your saddle with a caribiner.

The line is 40mm? The image you posted says the line is 1/2" and the ring is 40 mm. There are a couple of ways I think that you could use it as a tree squeeze that would allow you to use your ropeman but, you might have to put on/take off the ropeman each time you climb.
You're right. My mistake

Interesting. I’ve wondered about falling with LB and how to keep it from falling with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your Ropeman won't go on that line. You will wrap that line around the tree and then with both rings in front of you, you will feed your linemans through the rings. Your linemans belt will never pass around the tree, just the wespur rope goes around the tree. You can still use your Ropeman on your linemans belt same as before.
If I'm no longer using the saddle lineman's rope then could I replace it with amsteel for less bulk/weight? Really now it's only purpose is to loop into the tree squeeze

A tree squeeze would be nice if I used spurs. Also could be nice to use as a tether then rap down.

I'm interested in pics of however you rig it. Interested in playing with the tree squeeze concept myself.[/

Here’s how my son’s TreeSqueeze is rigged. Note the stitched tight eye on the end of Predator linesman belt, the tight eye is needed to thread the linesman belt through the two rings on the tree squeeze to wrap it around the tree and remove it from the tree. The TreeSqueeze provides the length to adjust for different sized trees with the Prussic, so the linesman, adjusted by the ropeman, can be pretty short. @TheYote bought one from Wespur with a single line instead of double line, otherwise it’s the same. TreeSqueeze weighs 1 lb, TheYote’s less. Son used it to learn to climb w/spurs & I use a single line version like TheYote’s. It’s cheap insurance (less than my medical deductible!).
A3A8CF15-8690-48C8-87B8-586665D69183.jpeg8F4EEEA3-9AD0-40E5-B0AC-3B757D3D9609.jpeg7BA51DAB-3E7E-4A0D-B6E4-4B1B36DA9279.jpeg

Last edited:
If I'm no longer using the saddle lineman's rope then could I replace it with amsteel for less bulk/weight? Really now it's only purpose is to loop into the tree squeeze

I would think not. You’re still going to need a rope to go through the rings with either a prusik or rooeman for adjustment. Neither of those would work well on amsteel.

If I am seeing correctly - to use the squeeze you will need an adjustable lineman's belt\rope to keep the right amount of distance\tension on the tree. So you will need to use your lineman's rope and ropeman. The squeeze goes on the backside of the tree and your lineman's belt\rope threads through the rings of the squeeze on the front side of the tree and puts tension on the front side of the tree. It may need be adjusted as you climb to keep the proper tension\distance on the tree by adjusting the lineman's belt\rope.

Last edited:
If I am seeing correctly - to use the squeeze you will need an adjustable lineman's belt\rope to keep the right amount of distance\tension on the tree. So you will need to use your lineman's rope and ropeman. The squeeze goes on the backside of the tree and your lineman's belt\rope threads through the rings of the squeeze on the front side of the tree and puts tension on the front side of the tree. It may need be adjusted as you climb to keep the proper tension\distance on the tree by adjusting the lineman's belt\rope.

Correct

The prusik on the squeeze would give some adjustment but I think you would need the lineman's belt\rope adjustment for it to work well - but I have never used one so it is just an observation from the video.

The prusik on the squeeze would give some adjustment but I think you would need the lineman's belt\rope adjustment for it to work well - but I have never used one so it is just an observation from the video.

You absolutely need adjustment in your lineman’s belt same as any other use of a belt. The prusik on the squeeze is to adjust the squeeze to fit the tree trunk.

Conceptually the treesqueeze is a false crotch for a DdRT set-up on a spar. It has nothing to do with your linemans belt. You can still use a LB for positioning but it's separate from the TS just like the LB is separate from the tether. In fact you can kind of look at the TS as a more sophisticated tether that uses a DdRT connection instead of a single girth hitched line

Back