• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fruit trees arrived

Oldnotdead

With rising tree and shipping prices I decided to try the national arbor day foundation. Should have done that years ago. I joined for just a year and got 2 dwarf apples and a blk. Tartan cherry. Wow what great trees arrived. They were tall thick full of buds and pre pruned they sent much ,much small free trees one red bud and 2 forthysia. I got the early green and late stayman winesap. I will now order more for next year as they send me sales. The tree plot now has 2 peach, 2 standard apples I planted several years ago and now the 2 dwarf and the cherry I just planted. This goes with 3 Dunstan and 1 chinese chestnut.. I space them wide enough to drive the tractor around them. There will be clover planted around them.
So if your looking for trees give them a view. I also have 10 free flower trees arriving soon . I'm sure these will be rather small but free is free . Dogwood, sergeant crab apples, and red bud.
BTW anyone here ever plant sergeant crab apples? What are they like?

Sergeant crabs grow to around 6 feet. They bear heavy from my experience. I beleive they are native to Japan. My Grandmother used to make jelly out the crab apples from Sargeant crabs.

That's where we got our evergreens 2 years ago. They have good prices and lots of good information. They will help you get the right trees for the exact location you are going to plant a tree. Much better than Lowes or Home Depot

I'd bet in one way or the other most of you do. It surprises me sometimes how little some hunters know about the wild plants you have around you. Even though I plant all kinds of trees,bushes, plots some of my best hunting is in areas of natural browse. This being elderberry, bramble,beech, eastern hop horn, locust, sumac, poke weed ferm, fungi,honey suckle brush dogwood brush,wild rose, poison ivy,cattail, wild grape, virginia creeper...ect, ect, ect.

I stumbled onto the arbor site and signed up for the 10 free trees. Couldn't believe my eyes. Got the flowering tree package. Wife wanted some color in all the spruce and pine ive been adding, trying to build a wall between me and the neighbors. They seem to be starting their own junkyard. Fruit trees to come this fall closer to the woods I hunt.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I stumbled onto the arbor site and signed up for the 10 free trees. Couldn't believe my eyes. Got the flowering tree package. Wife wanted some color in all the spruce and pine ive been adding, trying to build a wall between me and the neighbors. They seem to be starting their own junkyard. Fruit trees to come this fall closer to the woods I hunt.

Gosh, I empathize with the neighbors thing. Let's just say some river rats are pack rats...

I guess old trucks, washing machines, and boat motors are better lawn decorations than lawn flamingos.:confused2:

Funny thing is I went over to talk to them and one of the first things the wife said was "dont worry were going to do something about this". I was thinking I'm pretty sure theres a tree growing through the roof of that car. Haha. Different mindset I guess. To each their own.

...It surprises me sometimes how little some hunters know about the wild plants you have around you. Even though I plant all kinds of trees,bushes, plots some of my best hunting is in areas of natural browse. This being elderberry, bramble,beech, eastern hop horn, locust, sumac, poke weed ferm, fungi,honey suckle brush dogwood brush,wild rose, poison ivy,cattail, wild grape, virginia creeper...ect, ect, ect.

This is an area where I confess a pile of ignorance. How does someone who lives in the city M-F get more knowledge on this stuff?

I've spent many a year reading and hiking. There are many really good books on north American plants & trees. Also specific regional ones. As to deer specific,lots of observation and reading. We are blessed to have properties that grow a crazy amount of different things. Right now we are begining to get a big spring flush of deer and turkey food but things for us as well. Ramps,violets, anemone,trout lily,fiddle heads...

Funny thing is I went over to talk to them and one of the first things the wife said was "dont worry were going to do something about this". I was thinking I'm pretty sure theres a tree growing through the roof of that car. Haha. Different mindset I guess. To each their own.

Use it, I'm a crazy person about my property taxes. We have 5 separate pieces. I'll spend 500.00 on a professional estimate,take multiple pics of our place, the neighbors, the land, the roads that lead to our land and fight. Worth every penny ,won every time I've gone in. For not only the house properties but vacant land as well. So if you can't beat the neighbor ,use them to lower your assessment, unless you plan on moving.

Crazy thing with buying the trees from arbor day was that they send them to you when you're supposed to plant them. My ignorance I just always thought spring and fall for everything. Guess well see if it works better.

Ordered 3-4 ft pines and got 18". Luckily they had no problem sending out the right trees and said their nurseries screw up every once in a while. Guess based on all my other customer service experiences I was expecting a fight.

Planted them anyways, that's $60-80 in free trees.

Still waiting on my free ten to ship.
9552e29605cfcc6c37c842edc239e7a6.jpg

I need to order some dogwoods and redbud for the yard at some point. The previous owner planted an orange tree, peach tree, and fig tree, so I'm covered in the fruit department! But some flowers would be nice, since my huge magnolia seems to be a bit of a slacker.

I called about the free trees, they said they ship them later. I'll give them till mid May before checkin in again.

Back