• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frustrating Day

Tim Tripoli

Dec 20, 2016
Well I have sat in my Kestrel several times, but yesterday was just terrible. It started with having issues putting up "WE" steps. Every step moved when I stepped on them. Don't know if it was the type tree I picked or what. Smooth bark vs oaks in the past. Because of all the the issue I had climbing I put my Predator platform on the wrong side of the tree. Could of fixed but...

The real issue I had yesterday was saddle making my legs go numb, like the blood flow was restricted. I just could not find a way to get that feeling to go away. Anybody got any suggestions? It also felt like the saddle was going to fall off when I stood up on the platform, nothing change in adjustment of saddle from day before. Also when using a platform how many hang an extra step or... so you can move around the tree easier? Not for shots necessarily, but just to change the view. I kind of missing that from using my ring of steps last season.

Tim

Jasper2

Nov 24, 2014
Indiana
What was your tether height and where do you have the adjustment set on the sides of the kestrel? I don't use an extra step to get around the tree but I don't hunt very large trees either so I can see and shoot back there from the edge of my platform. I'm guessing that if you were accustomed to getting around to the backside of the tree with a ROS then you have a relatively long tether and/or bridge which normally means a higher tie in point and can cause many of your problems.

Remember, the angle changes as you move your feet away from the tree onto a platform so you may have to change something in your setup to compensate for this.

Reactions: rutjr and bigjoe

Tim Tripoli

Dec 20, 2016
Tether height was just above my head, same as my other sits. Side adjustments under thighs were all the way out. Have not yet needed to adjust them. Like I said it was just the numb feeling in my legs, I don't remember any pain or discomfort prior to the numb sensation. I am thinking maybe the saddle is starting to break in a little and maybe stretch/relaxed and I need to make some adjustments to it.

Tim

SynapsesFire

Sep 13, 2018
Are you a leaner or sitter? I'm wondering if the sitting would cause that. Seems to me the leaning would engage your legs more and keep blood flow moving better. I have read some saddle hunters change up from lean to sit during the hunt frequently. If the sitting is causing the numbness, try side saddle to the tree, straddle the tree, or some combo to keep blood moving.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
Lots of things it could be, but I know sitting on the "bottom" of a leaning tree puts more pressure on my butt in the manner you describe. I lower my tether if I have to sit the low side of a lean.

Just a thought.

Tim Tripoli

Dec 20, 2016
I am a sitter. Good thought Nutterbuster I was sitting the bottom a slight leaner. I will try lowering the tether next time I am in that tree.

Tim

Reactions: Nutterbuster