• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Future Saddle Hunter of Central PA

elk yinzer

SH Member
Hello from Central PA...State College.

I have been looking at getting into a saddle for at least 5 years. This offseason I am 95% sure going to pull the trigger on a Kestrel. Thanks to DIY Sportsman and Boudreaux for their informative youtube videos. Watching those videos has been instrumental in feeling like I have the knowledge to make the switch.

I was solely a climber guy for as long as I've been hunting, about 20 years. I have a pretty strong fear of heights and hated climbing sticks for the longest time. This past offseason I got some helium sticks and an aluminum hang on. I am starting to feel very comfortable with it. Ultimately, now that I've become adapted to that climbing system, it seems dumb to be toting around a bulky hang-on. As it seems with many saddle guys, it's not the weight, it's the bulk of thing catching on brush, and just about everywhere I hunt is thick.

A couple things...It's a lot to ask, but after the season is over, it would be awesome if I could meet up with a local saddle user, especially a Kestrel. I kind of just want to make sure I feel comfortable before I drop $300 on a new setup.

I also have to sort out which direction I want to go with a platform. I see that there are "sitters" and "leaners" but I guess I would want to get in a saddle first to figure out which I am going to be. I believe I am most inclined toward being a leaner and the LW Assassin/seat-style platforms, but I'm not sure I have access to the tools to make one. I would hate to go that route just to make the switch to the tree strap with steps. I'm all public and highly mobile so pre-sets and screw-ins are out of the question. I'm also not sure how those style platforms affect the 360 degree use of the tree concept.

You're asking all the right questions. 360 shooting with a seat platform depends more on the size of the tree. On smaller trees (8-10 inch diameter) you can shoot 360 without any additional setup. In larger trees you'll need to add a Stepp Ladder or Ameristep on each side.

If I could only pick one, you can't go wrong with Ameristeps. I use them a lot and prefer them in a lot of ways.

Jump on the SH map and link up with someone in your neck of the woods to try out a saddle. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Welcome. I'm a new guy myself. I have a Kestrel on order, kinda hoping to get it before the snow flies! I have never been in a saddle myself, just some jury rigged harness to see if I liked the feel of it. I'm just out side of Carlisle, I'd be more than happy to try and hook up so you can take a look at it sometime (once I get it). I ordered a size one. I myself have no idea what I'll use as a platform until I get the saddle to play around with. I really love the idea of having trees already prepped, and just being able to slip into them, but all my hunting is on public ground also.

Welcome.. I'm new my self. What tool do you need to make your seat platform? I'm an a hour away form state collage I might be able to help you out.

Welcome.. I'm new my self. What tool do you need to make your seat platform? I'm an a hour away form state collage I might be able to help you out.

Thanks! I haven't done a lot of research on it yet but I assumed some machining of aluminum tubing was in order, but maybe not. I'll have to look into it more once I decide to try that route.

Welcome. I'm a new guy myself. I have a Kestrel on order, kinda hoping to get it before the snow flies! I have never been in a saddle myself, just some jury rigged harness to see if I liked the feel of it. I'm just out side of Carlisle, I'd be more than happy to try and hook up so you can take a look at it sometime (once I get it). I ordered a size one. I myself have no idea what I'll use as a platform until I get the saddle to play around with. I really love the idea of having trees already prepped, and just being able to slip into them, but all my hunting is on public ground also.

Thanks man! I will keep that in mind and may get in touch with you after the season.

I have been looking at getting into a saddle for at least 5 years. This offseason I am 95% sure going to pull the trigger on a Kestrel. Thanks to DIY Sportsman and Boudreaux for their informative youtube videos. Watching those videos has been instrumental in feeling like I have the knowledge to make the switch.

I was solely a climber guy for as long as I've been hunting, about 20 years. I have a pretty strong fear of heights and hated climbing sticks for the longest time. This past offseason I got some helium sticks and an aluminum hang on. I am starting to feel very comfortable with it. Ultimately, now that I've become adapted to that climbing system, it seems dumb to be toting around a bulky hang-on. As it seems with many saddle guys, it's not the weight, it's the bulk of thing catching on brush, and just about everywhere I hunt is thick.

A couple things...It's a lot to ask, but after the season is over, it would be awesome if I could meet up with a local saddle user, especially a Kestrel. I kind of just want to make sure I feel comfortable before I drop $300 on a new setup.

I also have to sort out which direction I want to go with a platform. I see that there are "sitters" and "leaners" but I guess I would want to get in a saddle first to figure out which I am going to be. I believe I am most inclined toward being a leaner and the LW Assassin/seat-style platforms, but I'm not sure I have access to the tools to make one. I would hate to go that route just to make the switch to the tree strap with steps. I'm all public and highly mobile so pre-sets and screw-ins are out of the question. I'm also not sure how those style platforms affect the 360 degree use of the tree concept.
Welcome, your on the right track. You don't really need much in the way of tools if you want to make an xop platform, just order a few items & get Ernie's kit & bolt together!

I am new to the saddle hunting world myself. I have watched so many YouTube videos, listened to a few John Eberhart pod casts and read almost everything on the Saddle Hunter website. All the info I've collected has made my mind up and go all in on saddle hunting. I sold most of my treestands and I ordered a kestrel and the bullman outdoors steps for my platform. Haven't been this excited about a piece of hunting equipment in a long time. Patiently waiting for the email gro aero hunter for when it ships. Im from Selinsgrove, Pa would be happy to help you out.

I am new to the saddle hunting world myself. I have watched so many YouTube videos, listened to a few John Eberhart pod casts and read almost everything on the Saddle Hunter website. All the info I've collected has made my mind up and go all in on saddle hunting. I sold most of my treestands and I ordered a kestrel and the bullman outdoors steps for my platform. Haven't been this excited about a piece of hunting equipment in a long time. Patiently waiting for the email gro aero hunter for when it ships. Im from Selinsgrove, Pa would be happy to help you out.
Awesome man I'm from Portage pa this is definitely the site to be on as I'm new too it as well. Slowing getting everything I need. Keep us posted

If you are ever down in northern VA on travel I’d be more than happy to show yah the Ins and outs of saddle setup. I’m 10 mins off 95. Oh yeah, had you posted a month earlier I would have brought it with me for the state ND hockey series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are ever down in northern VA on travel I’d be more than happy to show yah the Ins and outs of saddle setup. I’m 10 mins off 95. Oh yeah, had you posted a month earlier I would have brought it with me for the state ND hockey series

Thanks, my original post was some 5 months ago so in that time I've ordered and received a Kestrel and got it pretty well fine tuned. I am completely pumped to get it out in the trees for real this fall.

Thanks, my original post was some 5 months ago so in that time I've ordered and received a Kestrel and got it pretty well fine tuned. I am completely pumped to get it out in the trees for real this fall.

Oversight on my part, njoy

Back