• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

FYI IL hunters

SILhunter

I saw on bowsite.com forums that 2 bills have passed 12-0, the first will allow high powered rifles during the gun season for all countys under 500,000 population(which is all but 5) and the second will make the first firearm season 4 days instead of 3. I don't know if this is a done deal or need another round of votes?

Where did this come from? Can't see any need to find ways to increase deer kill. We're just getting back to normal give or take from EHD in my neck of the woods.

At the end of the day as long as numbers of tags don’t change the method holds little importance.

At the end of the day as long as numbers of tags don’t change the method holds little importance.
I dis agree. It’s going to mean more dead deer! You don’t think adding rifles will increase success percentage? This is what happens when politicians make decisions instead of biologists.

I dis agree. It’s going to mean more dead deer! You don’t think adding rifles will increase success percentage? This is what happens when politicians make decisions instead of biologists.
So is it better to pull the trigger and the animal dies or pull the trigger and the animal is wounded or missed? I understand that this increases most effective ranges but 200 yards is 200 yards regardless of what weapon I choose and unless they are making a special tag for center fire rifles same number of animals have the potential to die. Also this could also help hunter recruitment. Since we all know hunter numbers are not what they used to be.

I don’t understand your first sentence. But I do agree the deer doesn’t care what shoots it. And if you believe adding centerfire rifles will lead to less wounding, I believe that’s a fallacy as well. Either people will care enough about the animals they hunt and become proficient with whatever weapon they choose or they won’t. And to use the hunter recruitment line is ridiculous. Same thing the cross gun proponents say. I couldn’t care less about hunter recruitment. There’s already too much lack of opportunity and lack of animals I don’t need anymore competition. It’s all about $$$. If the IDNR truly cared about hunters, they’d stop sending in sharpshooters and open up more public land to hunters. I live in Lake county. There is no firearms season for me anyway. But my deer hunting has gone to **** in the last 10 years do to the aforementioned issues.

Very true - IDNR loves a chance to charge more $'s. I am curious how many required "watercracft" permits the state sold for inertube float trips!

What I do not understand is why they don't use the opportunity; IL has metro deer issues - have out of state hunters harvest "does only" in "depop" areas and donate the harvest to food banks to "earn a buck tag".

No offense but at what Illinois charges for out of staters the last thing I am gonna do is donate my venison to a food bank nor do I think you should have to earn a buck.The revenue generated by the cost of the trip and licenses should be enough.JMO

I don’t believe “earn a buck” would work for non-residents. Because, as mentioned above, I sure wouldn’t show up to a state that has that rule.

If urban areas have problems with deer numbers, maybe the state needs to invest in or incentivize urban bowhunting programs. They seem to be doing a better job than sharpshooters in the municipalities that have embraced them.

....................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

IMHO - only SADDLEHUNTERS should be given FREE doe depop tags, which once filled will earn a FREE statewide either sex tag, ; ) !!

Everyone happy now?

Sorry @sureshotscott , Just kiddn' ya!!

I appreciate all the the @Moderators and site team are doing for the community - same for the members who post dyi and safety.
Excellent work everyone - thank you all so much for the great info you all have shared - keep it up!!!!

I looked into it more and it is basically handgun ammunition that can be shot out of a rifle. Over 30 cal, straight wall casing and the casing can't be over 1.4 inches long, so probably won't amount to much. IL house bill 2783 if you want to research yourself.

Back