• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Game bags

public_land

I hunt whitetails and have always field dressed, dragged the whole carcass out, load it in the truck, finish the rest at home with the deer hanging. I am going to try something different this year and I am looking for some input. I have been searching the web and reading about various different bags available for packing out meat. I am most interested in an off-the-bone solution, so I do not need a large bag. So far I have come across cotton bags, synthetic bags, anti-microbial bags, pillow cases, the list goes on. I would like a bag that is reusable and has a lengthy life span. I have read that most can be soaked and then washed then hang to dry. I know there are several options, and just as many price ranges, I am just wondering if anyone has any feedback or personal experience with any of these options? Pros and cons of each? What size will I need for whitetail off-the-bone meat? I will be hiking a few miles with the meat on my back/in my pack and in early season bugs will be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I just stick'em in my pack now, and wash the pack when I get home. But I would think a cheapo pillow case would work about as well as anything else.

I used to use a black contractor bag to keep my pack clean. Never had a problem with that method either. Honestly, I don't think meat spoilage is nearly as big of a deal as a lot of guys make it out to be. I've packed a lot of animals out when it was in the upper 80's, and have eaten plenty of critters that sat overnight in those temps too.

How long do you think it's been since they slaughtered those chickens at the supermarket? And what did the little indian boys do when they shot deer, before we brought them ice and Yeti coolers?

Don't overthink it. Whack em up, stick em somewhere, pack em out.

I use the BlackOvis bags and two of them will fit all the deboned meat off a whitetail with room to spare. I have used them several times now and just wash them out after I'm done. The reflective material on them is nice if you have to hang the meat and come back to it and the cord to cinch the bag shut is strong enough to hang it. Other than that it's basically a glorified pillow case lol

Last season I used game bags for the first time. I bought Black Ovis bags on Camofire.com. Love them. If they’re not on Camofire right now, they will be. They seem to rotate through every so often.

I killed a buck way back on public land. Used all 5 bags to pack it out. Gutless method. Only bones I carried were shoulders and head w/antlers.
Yep. Shoulders are a PITA to bone out compared to hams. Last year I took hams, shoulder, backstraps, and deboned neck. Neck has more meat than ribs anyway.

I do gutless and quater bone in. I use the Kuiu bags.Im not really a fan of Kuiu but I love these bags. I use two Medium quater game bags I think and one handled dry bag for backstraps, tenderloins and heart. They are super strong and wash easy. Ive been using them for about 3 years and don't have any wear. looks like Ill have them for years.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-game-g...ml?cgid=pack-gamegear&dwvar_60023_color=Clear

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-game-g...r_96001_color=White-Orange&cgid=pack-gamegear

I’ve used garbage bags in the past. Dump the meat on ice when I get back to truck or at least out of the trash bag and get ice on the ride home. Never had a problem with spoilage. Biggest problem is holding the bag open and upright while deboning.
I bought this Kuiu bag in large for my elk hunt. It will be a lot easier to fill. It it is breathable and will leak blood so I’ll line with a garbage bag while in my pack.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-game-gear-packs/kuiu-boned-out-game-bag/96002.html

I use 50lb plastic ice bags. Straight in cooler on top of ice keeps meat out the water. I keep one and blue gloves rolled up in bottom of pack or stowed in hybrid. Much tougher than trash bag but same concept.

Breathable bags are great if you need to keep meat cool for miles long packs out tho

I hang meat bags in a tree until I’m ready to put them in the backpack. My bags let the meat breathe but keep the flies off. Also, don’t forget to grab the tenderloins. You don’t even have to use a knife.

I use the Black Ovis bags from camofire as well. I have used them for a couple of deer and 7 - 8 hogs. They are synthetic and have held up really well. After my last 200 lb hog two miles from the truck I will definitely be deboning the hams moving forward.B0D44900-0F6C-4B69-B4FD-7401F0D7022F.jpeg

Back