• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gap shooting tip

Mr Price

For those who chooses to gap shoot, or just use your point as a reference, this may help, or you may already do this or know this.
I've attached 2 pictures, 1 being the broadhead. I paint the back portion white. This is to use as a reference (be sure to originate the blade to your kant that you shoot with). Myself, my point on is 25 yards. Moving closer, my 20 is half of the blade, at 15 I'm using my blade tip. Also, I'm using a piece of 1/2" glow in the dark tape around my sleeve for late evening situations. Happy hunting to all.

Screenshot_20231005-055323_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231005-055311_Gallery.jpg

I judge off the end of the shaft, rather than any tip that I may use. I may be using a Judo small game blunt, which is only an inch past the end of the arrow shaft or a Grizzly broadhead, which is 2 5/8" long. These length differences are huge, when string walking.

Where you have the white tape at the end of the arrow shaft is where I'm talking about, for a reference point. :)

EDIT: I do not shoot any gaps! I'm aiming dead on at all yardages, up to my "point on", which is 30 yards. I have a "fixed crawl" that's used for 20 yards and marks on my tab for 15 yards and 10 yards. I don't shoot at live targets past 20 yards.

Last edited:
Base of the arrow for me. With my Longbow, slightly under the belly at 15, bottom of deer at 20, "point" on at 25, top of back at 30 (that is just target shooting at home/3-d courses, I don't shoot beyond 20 at live deer)

My recurve string walks better than my longbow, so its point on at all times till beyond 25 yards

That's clever.

I'm reminded of an Elmer Keith essay where he discusses painting the horizontal grooves in a pistol front sight different colors, so each color corresponded to a different range. He was taking very long shots on game with .44Mag revolvers before S&W introduced the .44Mag. So, the thought occurs to me - how would it work to paint the back edge of your footer one color, maybe dip it in neon nail polish, and the base of your ferrule or trailing edge of your BH another color, so you'd have two different reference points?

That's clever.

I'm reminded of an Elmer Keith essay where he discusses painting the horizontal grooves in a pistol front sight different colors, so each color corresponded to a different range. He was taking very long shots on game with .44Mag revolvers before S&W introduced the .44Mag. So, the thought occurs to me - how would it work to paint the back edge of your footer one color, maybe dip it in neon nail polish, and the base of your ferrule or trailing edge of your BH another color, so you'd have two different reference points?
Whoa whoa. I'm the only one around these parts who gets to experiment with neon colors.

Typical America. Simply put a suggestion out there for people to see (not saying it's for everyone or the best) and it gets slandered by people that don't need to say anything.
If I don't agree or like what I see, move on. Especially if it's not affecting you. Thanks for everyone's input that may be beneficial or have better (or another) idea.

For those who chooses to gap shoot, or just use your point as a reference, this may help, or you may already do this or know this.
I've attached 2 pictures, 1 being the broadhead. I paint the back portion white. This is to use as a reference (be sure to originate the blade to your kant that you shoot with). Myself, my point on is 25 yards. Moving closer, my 20 is half of the blade, at 15 I'm using my blade tip. Also, I'm using a piece of 1/2" glow in the dark tape around my sleeve for late evening situations. Happy hunting to all.

View attachment 92037View attachment 92038
Great idea that has been around for a long time but is not talked about much at all. But it isnt gap shooting at that point it's using a pin. That's not meant as a knock. It can be a very useful tool for folks transitioning from compound to a stick bow that struggle with shooting a gap or shooting instinctively.

Do ya ever find that the glow of the tape is bright enough to obscure your view of the target? I’m going to have to give this a try!

Great idea that has been around for a long time but is not talked about much at all. But it isnt gap shooting at that point it's using a pin. That's not meant as a knock. It can be a very useful tool for folks transitioning from compound to a stick bow that struggle with shooting a gap or shooting instinctively.
That's my point. If you have trouble with gap shooting. You can try this

Base of the arrow for me. With my Longbow, slightly under the belly at 15, bottom of deer at 20, "point" on at 25, top of back at 30 (that is just target shooting at home/3-d courses, I don't shoot beyond 20 at live deer)

My recurve string walks better than my longbow, so its point on at all times till beyond 25 yards
That's exactly what I do too....My arrow is in my peripheral vision though - I don't consciously focus on the arrow tip when gapping.....

I'm not a string walker. My bows just don't like it

Back