• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Garmin GPS

SETXsportsman6

Who all uses a handheld GPS? I'm getting either a 66s or 64st. I have purchased a OnX hunt chip for it since I use the OnX hunt app, being able to have my waypoints on both was a big plus for me. Does anyone else do this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Who all uses a handheld GPS? I'm getting either a 66s or 64st. I have purchased a OnX hunt chip for it since I use the OnX hunt app, being able to have my waypoints on both was a big plus for me. Does anyone else do this?

I have a 64st and love it. Ill be getting the OnX chip for GA this year. I have just used the basic maps it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I have the 64st and I hunt very dense canopy areas and I’ve never had any issue with it never finding service. I’ve had mine for about 6 years now and it’s still going strong. I don’t think advertise this either but I’ve been caught in a few rain storms and had it in bottom of boat in water and it’s held up against some pretty wet conditions. Also figuring out how it operates was surprisingly really simple for me.

I have the 64st and I hunt very dense canopy areas and I’ve never had any issue with it never finding service. I’ve had mine for about 6 years now and it’s still going strong. I don’t think advertise this either but I’ve been caught in a few rain storms and had it in bottom of boat in water and it’s held up against some pretty wet conditions. Also figuring out how it operates was surprisingly really simple for me.
Good. Majority of my hunting will likely be done in thick pine forests with mixed hardwoods so that's good information.

I've been using a garmin fir over 20 years. You're going to love it. Everyone I hunt with has one. If someone takes a deer, we just give out coordinates on the Motorola(we use pro level radios that go forever) and someone is headed to help drag! Also great to mark good vantage points. Or rub lines. Practice, practice, practice!

I still use a Garmin 64Csx that I bought for Geocaching 10 years ago. Started using it for hunting and it still works great for an older GPS. I believe the 64st is very similar in features. Much of my learning with the GPS came through Geocaching adventures. Once I started hunting public land I realized it was also valuable for hunting. I haven't bought an OnX chip for it yet, but have definitely considered getting one. I did finally figure out how to add a Topo map layer on top of another layer that had great Public Land border details. That was a game changer for me. Garmin Basecamp is a must in my opinion if you want to use it for doing some computer scouting before heading out into the field, it makes it much easier to add and maintain way points.

Good. Majority of my hunting will likely be done in thick pine forests with mixed hardwoods so that's good information.

Only thing I’m not sure about is if you can make emergency SAT calls from it like the garmin inreach. But also garmin has a good mapping system if you pay for it you can download any satellite image to your GPS from program. Like for me I hunt 2 public pieces 90% the time so I got those blocks on satellite imagery and the rest is all topo.

Etrex 20 is my go-to for scouting and finding my way during hunting season. The joystick navigation on the Etrex is perfect when you have gloves on in nasty weather and I prefer it to a touchscreen. I have mine loaded with Birdseye, general topo and a midwest lakes map. This is season 10 for this unit .... zero complaints. I second the Basecamp software for Garmin units ..... good stuff and it is free.

Only thing I’m not sure about is if you can make emergency SAT calls from it like the garmin inreach. But also garmin has a good mapping system if you pay for it you can download any satellite image to your GPS from program. Like for me I hunt 2 public pieces 90% the time so I got those blocks on satellite imagery and the rest is all topo.
I don't think I can unless I have an inreach linked or something like that. I got it in the mail today. 66st. Seems like a solid unit but for my neck of the woods the topo maps leave a lot to be desired. Relatively flat land, and I've spent a great amount of time scouring through OnX maps looking at terrain features for pinch points. With the Garmin maps it would be impossible to identify that. And mostly everything I hunt is thick canopy (pine forests and hardwoods), so in select situations like identifying transition lines between cover, they can be useful mainly I will be looking at terrain features via topo maps. Glad I went ahead and bought the OnX chip for it. Unfortunately I won't have it until I make it back home Monday afternoon from scouting. Always next time though!

@SETXsportsman6 any updates how this unit is working for you? I found a decent deal at Cabelas that I couldn't pass up. I have access to Garmin's Basecamp mapping for a year. How is it with/without the OnX chip? Or maybe others can chime in? Hunting with a cell phone, zero cell service and OnX maps downloaded (that seem to take forever) can be a huge pain and waste a lot of time on a short few day hunt.

Last edited:
@SETXsportsman6 any updates how this unit is working for you? I found a decent deal at Cabelas that I couldn't pass up. I have access to Garmin's Basecamp mapping for a year. How is it with/without the OnX chip? Or maybe others can chime in? Hunting with a cell phone, zero cell service and OnX maps downloaded (that seem to take forever) can be a huge pain and waste a lot of time on a short few day hunt.
The garmin base camp is a really good tool in my opinion but the onX is cheaper I do believe.

Back