• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gathered end fleece

Waylon mark

Having trouble making this I done hit the ground twice .I cannot seem to get my hitch to stay .I'm gonna try sewing a channel and recinching ,using a 3/8 amsteel doggone 22" brummel to brunell with a a 7" loop .I will take all tips and pointers fleece is 3'x3'

I sewed a channel in mine about big enough to fit my arm through. Then I tied rope in a scaffold knot around the ends. Your weight will never be on the stitches, it’s all on the fleece because the rope is tight

I sewed a channel in each side, and put cheap rope in it, as it was used to make a gathered end. It looks like a Rollo wrapper, but holds. There are some older threads on here that show you how to do a bend to hold it, but that took up too much space for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I sewed a channel in mine about big enough to fit my arm through. Then I tied rope in a scaffold knot around the ends. Your weight will never be on the stitches, it’s all on the fleece because the rope is tight

So, this was a single layer fleece saddle?

Having trouble making this I done hit the ground twice .I cannot seem to get my hitch to stay .I'm gonna try sewing a channel and recinching ,using a 3/8 amsteel doggone 22" brummel to brunell with a a 7" loop .I will take all tips and pointers fleece is 3'x3'

I made a prototype with elastic paracord in the channel and then tied onto itself to make a beefy end. Then I girth hitched loops around those ends. I've sat in it at ground level and it hasn't budged. This was 2 layers of cheap walmart fleece. Are you using 1 or 2 layers? Most seem to use 2 layers.

No 2 layers folded at the end

Got ya. I was making a 2 layer and folding it at the back and then my side channels were just 2 lines of stitching each side (channel in between). Your method sounds better. So, your ends are 4 layers, but your bridge is cinched onto 2 layers, correct?

Got ya. I was making a 2 layer and folding it at the back and then my side channels were just 2 lines of stitching each side (channel in between). Your method sounds better. So, your ends are 4 layers, but your bridge is cinched onto 2 layers, correct?
Yes exactly. I have probably 5 or 6 good seams all the way across. But that isn’t what’s holding anyways. Pro tip if you make them big channels then see the bottom shut you have built in pockets

Yes exactly. I have probably 5 or 6 good seams all the way across. But that isn’t what’s holding anyways. Pro tip if you make them big channels then see the bottom shut you have built in pockets

Or stick a hand warmer in there and make them hand muffs! (I'm serious)

I followed the instructions here on the "double girth hitch" and had zero issues. In fact, it was tough to get the amsteel off the fleece when I wanted to remove it at the end of the season.
Lots of guys do much fancier things than I did with the ends, but I just used a gathered end and kept enough outside the amsteel bridge so I could keep an eye on it to make sure it wasn't slipping. Cut fleece, tie off amsteel, and you are ready to hunt. No sewing or other things to mess with.

The double girth hitch explanation starts about 2:20.

I hung in a tree with the fleece and a RCH. I got a fair amount of hip pinch. I was later testing it at ground level and the girth hitch slipped. I was told by the "expert" that it was user error. Hip pinch and girth hitch slip made me abandon this effort. I would sew a loop in the fleece and then tie a sheet bend through the loop with the end of the bridge fastened down somehow. I gave up at this point and made my own DIY saddle..

Back