• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear/arrow organization ideas

Iron_llama

So, as I'm getting into this I'm coming to terms with just how much stuff is going to accumulate. I'm particularly thinking arrows.

I know I have a lot of work to do to perfect my form until I'm at a point where tuning anything is worthwhile. But with 3 bows - a 30# and 2 50# - I've got to keep everything straight. How do you guys do it? Arrow cases? PVC tubes, and then pack what you want for the range? Do you specify certain arrows go with certain bows? Do you crest or fletch them with an eye to telling them apart?

I've got to re-fletch some arrows - switch vanes to feathers - is it best to stay exclusively left- wing or right-wing, or is it OK to mix and match?

I know this is a lot of questions. Thanks in advance!

I am not a trad shooter, so forgive my ignorance as to why you are shooting so many different bows. But if you must than I would say the easiest way would be either specific fletch colors for each bow. I like arrow case but you mentioned the PVC tube, and I might have to give that a try sounds kind of nice.
As far as fletching Levi Morgan has a really good video on youtube about this and letting the arrow dictate what fletching is needed.

Hope this helps and have fun shooting.

I am not a trad shooter, so forgive my ignorance as to why you are shooting so many different bows. But if you must than I would say the easiest way would be either specific fletch colors for each bow. I like arrow case but you mentioned the PVC tube, and I might have to give that a try sounds kind of nice.
As far as fletching Levi Morgan has a really good video on youtube about this and letting the arrow dictate what fletching is needed.

Hope this helps and have fun shooting.
That's very helpful, thank you!

You can get arrow seperator foam or plastic that fits a dozen. They keep like arrows together and you can stack them on top of other arrows. It may be a bit more "cluttery" of an approach, but it is a simple and cheap method. I never order fully fletched arrows anymore as I do them myself but typically they still ship the shafts in arrow boxes which also work great. For practice sessions my technique is to stuff my hip quiver or pocket quiver with the arrows I plan on using that day on the bow I want to shoot and just shoot that bow.

You can get arrow seperator foam or plastic that fits a dozen. They keep like arrows together and you can stack them on top of other arrows. It may be a bit more "cluttery" of an approach, but it is a simple and cheap method. I never order fully fletched arrows anymore as I do them myself but typically they still ship the shafts in arrow boxes which also work great. For practice sessions my technique is to stuff my hip quiver or pocket quiver with the arrows I plan on using that day on the bow I want to shoot and just shoot that bow.
I'm having a bit of trouble picturing this... using foam separator blocks to make "bricks" of arrows, which I could stack on top of each other?

Good tip on the shipping boxes. I try to limit what I order online so all my arrows are loose, or in a quiver.

I shot with a hip quiver for the first time today. I like it. I splurged for one with a large pouch for glove, wax, etc., and I'm really liking it, I think I'll follow your lead on that.

Use different color pin stripe and put a ring around the shaft just below the nock.
I was thinking of doing that, a short 2- or 3- color ring at one end of the fletching, with a corresponding "racing stripe" on the riser, or back of the limb. Kinda like the Coast Guard puts on everything. But now that i think about it a simple ring with a paint pen would be easier.

I was thinking of doing that, a short 2- or 3- color ring at one end of the fletching, with a corresponding "racing stripe" on the riser, or back of the limb. Kinda like the Coast Guard puts on everything. But now that i think about it a simple ring with a paint pen would be easier.

I have been using the same few roles of pin stripe for years. Looks clean and straight.

I use map tubes to separate my different arrow builds. Sharpie works perfect to write the specs of each on the tubes.

5d9852d9a16832c8b029d066f1f64b16.jpg

Back