• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear purge

onestringer

SH Member
Has anyone noticed the gear purge happening here and social media. Seeing lots of saddles go up for sale. They are all getting sold but seeing a lot for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not surprised. People are realizing it takes some amount of effort to get dialed in. And they’re realizing that the difference in 10lbs of crap and 30lbs of crap is not the reason they don’t hunt hard - they’re just lazy. I predict it will continue and the fad will slowly fade as a ‘thing’. I’m glad it’s happening though because I got cool stuff out of it that helps me hunt!

With the popularity of saddle stuff right now with the demand and wait times, people are selling it for what they paid or higher, so it isn't even like they are losing anything on the deal. Can always buy another new one next summer.

I think with this sport, people want to maximize their efficiency and since there is many ways to do that, folks like me buy a lot of different stuff and figure out what works best for them. Then sell the rest.

I think it's a combination of a couple of things. A bunch of new people that are quickly realizing that they won't/ can't put the effort in to making saddle hunting work for them. People like myself who have a couple of seasons in now and are finally getting their system fine tuned and are getting rid of the stuff they no longer use. And lastly so many new saddles are hitting the market that many are buying multiple saddles and selling the ones they like the least. The current resale market makes it almost no risk.

People are always buying and selling stuff for one reason or another. The more people that are involved with it, the more stuff there is up for sale. There's climbers for sale everywhere around here, pawn shops, garage sales, classifieds, etc.. Doesn't mean people are ditching climbers, there's just a lot of people that hunt from them so there's a lot of them for sale.

I sold my saddle recently because I want some new ice fishing gear. I also know that new saddles will be available in the summer. After 2 seasons with the mantis I'm excited to see what tethrd introduces next year.

I also have my eye on the Yarak. I just like trying different stuff.

I think it's a combination of a couple of things. A bunch of new people that are quickly realizing that they won't/ can't put the effort in to making saddle hunting work for them. People like myself who have a couple of seasons in now and are finally getting their system fine tuned and are getting rid of the stuff they no longer use. And lastly so many new saddles are hitting the market that many are buying multiple saddles and selling the ones they like the least. The current resale market makes it almost no risk.
I agree and I think the recent articles that were published in hunting and bow rags helped with exposure, people ran out and tried the next big thing and decided nope, not for me and moved on. Hey I'm cool with it. I'm excited to see new people try new things but sometimes when a "thing" expands so rapidly there's much mis and bad info. I used to follow the saddlehunter Facebook group and gave up. So much bad info and people really not understanding what they're doing. I gave up.

I've seen quite a few for sale that people say they've used them less than half a dozen times. I think part of it is buyers remorse if they took the plunge and bought a full Tethrd set up and sticks. They try it in the yard a few times and maybe use it for a couple of hunts. That's why I went with an H2 saddle and a mini platform. I already had sticks for my hang on and had an HSS tree strap and Muddy lineman's belt. Not a whole lot invested compared to some of the alternatives. If I decide it's not for me after this season, I'll flip it and basically break even. So far, I just want a bigger platform for long sits. Probably going to look hard at the Ridge Runner on Black Friday.

Same here as Bigterp. I like to try one of everything, figure out what I like best and sell the rest. And I predict the market will crash after the rut lol.

Sent from up in a tree

That’s what I am doing. Your last one. I sat in my mantis yesterday after setting in flex for a couple of days. Probably going to get ride of my mantis. I have a kite on order though.

I am a guilty of buying trying and selling. I am seeing entire systems for sale.

I am a guilty of buying trying and selling. I am seeing entire systems for sale.

I think a lot of people got caught by the tethrd marketing hype and didn't really understand the work and practice that goes into it. It wasnt the easy "game changer" they were expecting. I buy and sell regularly. I like experimenting with gear, and have a as much fun with the gear as i do the hunting sometimes. I'm a gear junkie.

With all the different climbing methods and saddles now offered, it’s bound to happen with trial and error. I started this season out using a combo of 5 WE Steps /w a 5 step aider and now run a single stick w/ knaider. I ended up selling a bunch of extra gear I no longer needed / found wasn’t working for my style of hunting.

Back