• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gecko spur mods

mattdenney07

I completely lucked into a set of barely used Gecko Aluminum 2.0 spurs for $150 shipped on a used arborist gear group on FB. Although extremely light and functional, these spurs were covered in velcro and metal parts that were extremely loud. Just wanted to share my before/after pics of the mods I made.

I covered pretty much all hard surfaces with stealth strips, replaced the velcro calf strap with 1" mil-spec webbing and some T-hooks, and also replaced the velcro ankle strap with the same webbing setup. For the attachment point of the ankle strap, I doubled over the webbing, sewed 3 boxes around where the bolt would go, then melted a hole through the center just big enough for a bolt with an old soldering iron tip to prevent fraying. I also replaced the existing hardware with a steel hex cap screw, plus a flat washer and lock washer.

I think the result came out pretty nice!

spur2.JPGspur1.JPG

The mods you made look really good but I’ll be honest and say that I’m not sure I’d trust those t-hooks to stay in place, especially on the foot strap. I had the foot strap come loose once on one of my spurs when climbing down and it was not a fun experience to have my foot slip off the stirrup….

I tighten my spikes as tight as I can. I'd probably bust those off just putting them on.

I second the G hooks ain't beefy enough.

Nice spurs!

Any suggestions on what to use instead?

All I have is anecdotal with those t-hooks. I used them on my saddle and my last set of spurs all last season. Never had an issue. They sell 1” cobra buckles, but $20 each is a hard pill to swallow.

I don’t have any ideas off the top of my head.
I’ve read enough to know that guys are breaking the Tethrd G hooks on their HYS Straps and I sure don’t think they’d hold up to the abuse from a set of spikes.

I hope they work for you and they look great but that lil’ aluminum hook ain’t what I’d use. I would find sumthin’ tougher...

Last edited:
Awesome mod...I did the same thing 3 seasons ago and the G Hooks are the fastest quietest and easiest way the attach the spurs...Ive never had a problem with them coming off or loosening...and I doubt you could bend or break one if you tried by tightening the straps to your foot or calf...maybe for an arborist or someone spending a lot of time in them not the right set up...but for us saddle hunters that spend a few minutes in them its an awesome mod...nice job

Gatekeepers are cool...not bad if you got no belly and can reach your toes in the woods in the dark in the morning with cold fingers to get those things clipped...I didnt feel the need for the clips...I think the clips are also there because the buckles are plastic and need to be closed to maintain integrity...along with the capturing of the strap...

I use the g hooks on my ankle strap and they’re actually a pain in the butt to get unhooked in the tree for me. I don’t think there’s any way they would disconnect on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back