• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting around limbs with hand-climber/platform?

bow shot

New to this whole saddle hunting method, but have a Kestrel on order, a few sticks, and some steps. Got a lot to learn. I'm intrigued by the vids of folks using the top half of a climber as a climber/platform. Looks like a great idea. Anyone figured out a way to get around limbs if the tree you pick to climb isn't a pole-variety? Am I missing something, or would it be as "easy" as strapping on a couple rope steps, stepping off the platform and onto the steps and re-attaching the platform?

I'll be buying a complete lone wolf or summit open shot and using just the top half for saddle hunting, but I 'm sure I'll use the whole stand from time to time.

Not sure I’d use the top of an open shot for this, unless you saw a vid of it working good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To get over a limb u can use a lineman’s rope above limb so u stay hooked up while doing the next move of getting tether unhooked & then rehooked above limb. Then hang/sitting from tether and move climber platform above limb. Now continue climbing.

The LW style hand climbing stand seems to be the favorite style of stand for this method

I have a brand new XOP hand climber combo that i plan on selling

Full stand with hand climber top and also the foot platform section

I can let it go for alot cheaper than a new LW & probably about same price as a used LW hand climber combo

They haven’t been available in several years & this has been enjoying a boxed life in a/c storage

Let me know if u might be interested

I'm hoping to use this method when I get my JX3 Hybrid. I think it will be easy to climb around limbs, all I should have to do is put my fork against the tree and move the hand climber top. I'm hoping anyway

I have a brand new XOP hand climber combo that i plan on selling

Full stand with hand climber top and also the foot platform section

I can let it go for alot cheaper than a new LW & probably about same price as a used LW hand climber combo

They haven’t been available in several years & this has been enjoying a boxed life in a/c storage

Let me know if u might be interested

Is this the XOP Strikeforce?

Not sure I’d use the top of an open shot for this, unless you saw a vid of it working good.

I made a climbing platform out of an Open Shot for my dad since he is used to the Summit style stands. I removed the flip up seat, cut the seat bracket nubs off with a sawzall, then bolted a piece of plywood to the frame.

It climbs really well and is more stable than the Lone Wolf version since the Summit teeth really dig into the bark. However, it is heavier and a little noisier than the Lone Wolf counterpart.

Weighs around 7-8 lbs, but still lighter than my dad's Viper that weighs 20+ lbs...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-18-12-35-16.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-18-12-35-16.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
I made a climbing platform out of an Open Shot for my dad since he is used to the Summit style stands. I removed the flip up seat, cut the seat bracket nubs off with a sawzall, then bolted a piece of plywood to the frame.

It climbs really well and is more stable than the Lone Wolf version since the Summit teeth really dig into the bark. However, it is heavier and a little noisier than the Lone Wolf counterpart.

Weighs around 7-8 lbs, but still lighter than my dad's Viper that weighs 20+ lbs...

Well done, I like it. Im looking for a hand climber for platform/climbing, but this might be another option.

Summit top section would work fine

Some have even used their Summit bottom sections like from a Viper to climb

With an LW style u save a couple more pounds, quieter and packs flat which is why most would prefer

LW will be more expensive though

I have climbed that method with the platform of a summit titan (while i was waiting on my LW to be delivered). It can be done, but it's heavy and much harder.

I got ya, I had an open shot before, just knew it would need a little modding to make it doable. Didn’t know you had already done it. Good work

What kind of plywood did you use....thickness? How does your dad like this mod? Do you think a ratchet strap at the top to tighten it up to stabilize it as necessary? I really like this mod even though it is heavier.

Thanks kindly folks. I'm extremely anxious to get in motion. New Tribe won't be shipping till March, but I've been goofing around with sticks the las couple weekends,

This is a tough choice for me between the summit and the LW/XOP. I'm thinking I'll sacrifice about 4+ pounds if I go with the Summit. Any word on which (summit vs LW) might be easier to unattach/reattach as I encounter limbs?

Chomping at the bit!

What kind of plywood did you use....thickness? How does your dad like this mod? Do you think a ratchet strap at the top to tighten it up to stabilize it as necessary? I really like this mod even though it is heavier.

If you're a smaller guy, you can get away with 1/2" plywood. That's what I used to save weight, and there's just a tiny bit of flex in the board if you put all of your weight out toward the very edge, directly in the middle where there's no metal support arms. If you are, let's say, more than 200 lbs, I would suggest 3/4" plywood. It's real solid with the 3/4".

As far as stability goes, as long as you keep your feet and weight inside the arms and on the plywood, it's rock solid. There's enough real estate for me to shoot 360 and stay on the wood. If you put weight on the arms though, then you risk it breaking loose from the tree.

Thanks kindly folks. I'm extremely anxious to get in motion. New Tribe won't be shipping till March, but I've been goofing around with sticks the las couple weekends,

This is a tough choice for me between the summit and the LW/XOP. I'm thinking I'll sacrifice about 4+ pounds if I go with the Summit. Any word on which (summit vs LW) might be easier to unattach/reattach as I encounter limbs?

Chomping at the bit!

Lone wolf is definitely lighter, quieter, and easier to adjust. Summit gives you more real estate to work with and is more stable without any added straps. Depends on your priorities...

EDIT: Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you tether the platform to yourself in some manner, so that if it does break loose, you're not stuck dangling with no way to recover...

lol, for sure! I learned that lesson in the early years with my first climber...and thankfully at very low altitude :grimacing:

That is why I like to have a way to rappell down and am connected all the way up and down. Gravity is not your friend when at height.

Back