• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting better

denots

Been practicing with the recurve my uncle gave me. I'm staying on the target and gaining confidence with every shot. Still mostly practicing at 10 yards. Hear are a few groups I shot. Believe me when I tell you that they are nothing spectacular. Only a big improvement since I started. Even got the wife to shoot some. The last group was Emily's. I thought see did awesome for the first time she ever shot a bow.
7d693b2389f3e9e870a97fb2cdea582a.jpg
ec16ee36cbc60e0499d4e17b6c48db40.jpg
e69b65b18482f6942399917eb1549268.jpg
f9ccb27dc63666e7b493ff49558aed4a.jpg
b2e3d2c31afe74ce23910e0cbdbcce6f.jpg
0735ac08558348a7af2fbbaf641d491f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I painted a small white dot in the center of my target to focus on. It really helped out my acuracy.

Put a small dot white, red, blue or what ever color you choose on your target. You focus on that dot. It can be a twig inserted into the target.

No different than selecting a target on the deer you shoot. Only exception is your mind compensates for not having sites. Like throwing a baseball after a while.

If you look real close there's some leftover yellow paint in the center of the target. I just need to freshen it up. I have just about completely shot it out but I can still see it better than what it shows up in the photos when I'm shooting.

Looking good man! Some days I can impress myself with the struggle stick at 10 yards but past that I fall apart lol. Tons of fun to shoot tho, makes me feel like a little kid again! Always a good time when the family joins in.

Get some blunt tips and tennis balls. Throw the balls around the yard at different unknown ranges. You will be surprised how close or how many you hit. It’s fun. Really pulls the arrows to the small spot. Put a deer in front of me at 10 yards and I’ll miss! Lol. The mind is a son of a gun!!!

Looks good. I enjoy shooting mine but have to shoot it every day to stay good. That first arrow when I haven’t shot for a few days is what has kept me from hunting with mine. A couple flu flu with blunt tips are a pile of fun in the yard and woods.

Get some blunt tips and tennis balls. Throw the balls around the yard at different unknown ranges. You will be surprised how close or how many you hit. It’s fun. Really pulls the arrows to the small spot. Put a deer in front of me at 10 yards and I’ll miss! Lol. The mind is a son of a gun!!!

We used to do this with everything from partially deflated basketballs down to golf balls. It's amazing how when shooting at a basketball all of your misses will be right around the basketball. Go down to a tennis ball and all of your misses will be right around the tennis ball but ALL of your arrows would have hit the basketball. Use a golf ball and the same thing. All of you misses would have hit the tennis ball. It really drives home the importance of picking a small spot.

I definitely notice that when I'm shooting, if I feel like my eye starts to drift around the target my shots do the same. It's a very strange feeling trying to shoot with no pins. At least it was at first, but I feel I'm getting more accustomed to it. I believe the biggest thing that has made a difference in my shooting above all things is my release. At first I was trying to let go of the string. As of the last few days I find myself shooting different. I would assume to be more the correct way. I draw, anchor, and then I continue to tighten my back muscles as I slowly try to relax my fingers until the string just pops. I find I am much more consistent this way. Shooting a compound bow I always shot a release, and this is how I shoot with my release, but it seemed different with fingers I guess. I found myself trying to let go of the string and that just wasn't happening. It caused me to pull, or torque my bow to some degree which cause my shots to be very erratic. I'm trying to average about 50 arrows a day right now until I really get to hang of this. I plan on only carrying a recurve with me this year to make sure that I don't have a choice but to get my first deer with a trad bow, or just eat tag soup. That's a pretty good motivator in my opinion.

I have no doubt that you will be ready for your trad only commitment this season. You're going to love the feeling of watching that arrow go exactly where you were looking and be able to see the arrow impact in a way that you were never able too with a wheel bow. The excitement level is over the top!

I definitely notice that when I'm shooting, if I feel like my eye starts to drift around the target my shots do the same. It's a very strange feeling trying to shoot with no pins. At least it was at first, but I feel I'm getting more accustomed to it. I believe the biggest thing that has made a difference in my shooting above all things is my release. At first I was trying to let go of the string. As of the last few days I find myself shooting different. I would assume to be more the correct way. I draw, anchor, and then I continue to tighten my back muscles as I slowly try to relax my fingers until the string just pops. I find I am much more consistent this way. Shooting a compound bow I always shot a release, and this is how I shoot with my release, but it seemed different with fingers I guess. I found myself trying to let go of the string and that just wasn't happening. It caused me to pull, or torque my bow to some degree which cause my shots to be very erratic. I'm trying to average about 50 arrows a day right now until I really get to hang of this. I plan on only carrying a recurve with me this year to make sure that I don't have a choice but to get my first deer with a trad bow, or just eat tag soup. That's a pretty good motivator in my opinion.

@denots
I’ve been reading in AT.
AT Forums click this.
Traditional Archery click this.
#6 down. Various methods of aiming the Trad Bow

It’s good stuff that no one has tried to explain to me. Might cut the learning curve down a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have no doubt that you will be ready for your trad only commitment this season. You're going to love the feeling of watching that arrow go exactly where you were looking and be able to see the arrow impact in a way that you were never able too with a wheel bow. The excitement level is over the top!
Thank you for your vote of confidence. That means a lot coming from you.
@denots
I’ve been reading in AT.
AT Forums click this.
Traditional Archery click this.
#6 down. Various methods of aiming the Trad Bow

It’s good stuff that no one has tried to explain to me. Might cut the learning curve down a little.

I'll definitely give those threads a read. I've been looking at buying a new bow and I think I've settled in on a Win and Win black wolf. I want something that I can travel easily with. If I'm going to go hunt the little Sika deer this year, and possibly have a chance to go hunt Upstate New York later in the season, I want something that I can fly with relatively easy. If you haven't watched it yet go to YouTube and search "The Push" it's a pretty cool video. It's really long but worth watching for sure. I'm sure you got plenty of time on that big ol Chouest boat sitting back with your feet kicked pretending like you're working. If you ever get around here to good old Louisiana you need to look me up. Maybe we can even talk Mr Warren into letting us go hang out with him and shoot his 3D course.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. That means a lot coming from you.I'll definitely give those threads a read. I've been looking at buying a new bow and I think I've settled in on a Win and Win black wolf. I want something that I can travel easily with. If I'm going to go hunt the little Sika deer this year, and possibly have a chance to go hunt Upstate New York later in the season, I want something that I can fly with relatively easy. If you haven't watched it yet go to YouTube and search "The Push" it's a pretty cool video. It's really long but worth watching for sure. I'm sure you got plenty of time on that big ol Chouest boat sitting back with your feet kicked pretending like you're working. If you ever get around here to good old Louisiana you need to look me up. Maybe we can even talk Mr Warren into letting us go hang out with him and shoot his 3D course.

If I get back there you can bet if I have time we can hook up and do something. I’ll bring my Jon boat and we can go to Fourchon.

If I get back there you can bet if I have time we can hook up and do something. I’ll bring my Jon boat and we can go to Fourchon.

I might have to come deer hunting with you in Florida. Deer season in July? That is crazy. If nothing else we can try to catch some sac-a-lait

I might have to come deer hunting with you in Florida. Deer season in July? That is crazy. If nothing else we can try to catch some sac-a-lait

I'm sorry I just looked at your post again August 4th that's close enough to call it July for me anyway. And I thought it was hot bow hunting in October.

I was wrong image that. Season starts Aug. 4th. Depends on year always on Saturday. If you want to catch sac of something you have to do that in La we don’t have them here. But we would go Salt water fishing.

I'm sorry I just looked at your post again August 4th that's close enough to call it July for me anyway. And I thought it was hot bow hunting in October.

It is hot in October but not a pimple on August. If your not used to it you will melt.

Back