• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting Hunting Permission

Beeyuu

SH Member
Wanted to start a thread for people to post tips/tricks they use when asking for hunting permission. I've been struggling to get permission the last few years and was curious what everyone does to increase their odds

I like mailing a letter, that way I never come on your property, write my phone number and email incase they want to give me permission. Got 1 or 2 - 2 acre spots in the past this way.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

There was recently another thread on this topic. Here's a link to that thread and my response there:

There was recently another thread on this topic. Here's a link to that thread and my response there:
Thanks!

I had been eyeing an urban spot, about 30 acres in a flood plane that butts up to about 70 additional acres owned by city government.

Stupid me, I did my due diligence with city government before approaching the land owner. Turns out shooting any bow, anywhere within the city is illegal, even indoors. I'm currently trying to undertake the task of getting urban target archery legalized, and hopefully even urban hunting on lots above a certain size.

My end goal is to get some of the hundreds of acres owned by the city opened up as WMAs for lottery archery hunts. Eventually maybe even some of the thousands of acres owned by state government, universities, and other institutions within the city limits could be added to the WMA program. But for that to happen you gotta be able to shoot a bow legally.

Does really put a damper on my permission seeking agenda. But hey, maybe we could one day have a better deer management strategy in my city than just hitting them with cars.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

I had been eyeing an urban spot, about 30 acres in a flood plane that butts up to about 70 additional acres owned by city government.

Stupid me, I did my due diligence with city government before approaching the land owner. Turns out shooting any bow, anywhere within the city is illegal, even indoors. I'm currently trying to undertake the task of getting urban target archery legalized, and hopefully even urban hunting on lots above a certain size.

My end goal is to get some of the hundreds of acres owned by the city opened up as WMAs for lottery archery hunts. Eventually maybe even some of the thousands of acres owned by state government, universities, and other institutions within the city limits could be added to the WMA program. But for that to happen you gotta be able to shoot a bow legally.

Does really put a damper on my permission seeking agenda. But hey, maybe we could one day have a better deer management strategy in my city than just hitting them with cars.

Sounds like quite an uphill battle. So there aren't even archery pro shops there?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sounds like quite an uphill battle. So there aren't even archery pro shops there?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My one archery proshop is about a half a mile from my house, but in the county. I could seek permission out that way, the county/city line gets real patchy for a couple miles. Then it's all county and small holdings interspersed with hunt clubs and parkland. Was really hoping for a crack at the deer I see dead in the ditch on my commute every few weeks.

You may want to look into this a little more. In PA local ordinance does not supersede state law. Meaning that even if the local government says that you cant shoot a bow in their jurisdiction, if you have permission for the property and are within legal limits of the state law, you can legally hunt the property.

Back