• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting it up??

slonstdy

SH Member
See how easy a flashy title appealing to your little man got you here. Well hate to disappoint but this is a hunting website, haha!

Ok, back to reality here and my story goes like this,

I'm having trouble getting my deer kills into the bed of my truck as I've gotten admittedly older and weaker. Used to just grab them any way I could and wrestle them in there but last night I exhausted my self trying and had to call my sons to give me a hand. In some areas if I have a hill nearby I drag the deer up a bit then back my tailgate against the hill and slide the kill right in. Unfortunately last night was flat ground.

I need ideas on how to get a deer up and into the truck bed when on flat ground with no one around to lend a hand, no hills to back up to and no tree limbs to rig off of. I was thinking of bolting a boat winch against the bulkhead and use a plank as a ramp to slide the carcass on. I don't want to use a receiver hitch basket and can't tow a trailer on a parkway so those options are out too.

So what do guys suggest?

See how easy a flashy title appealing to your little man got you here. Well hate to disappoint but this is a hunting website, haha!

Ok, back to reality here and my story goes like this,

I'm having trouble getting my deer kills into the bed of my truck as I've gotten admittedly older and weaker. Used to just grab them any way I could and wrestle them in there but last night I exhausted my self trying and had to call my sons to give me a hand. In some areas if I have a hill nearby I drag the deer up a bit then back my tailgate against the hill and slide the kill right in. Unfortunately last night was flat ground.

I need ideas on how to get a deer up and into the truck bed when on flat ground with no one around to lend a hand, no hills to back up to and no tree limbs to rig off of. I was thinking of bolting a boat winch against the bulkhead and use a plank as a ramp to slide the carcass on. I don't want to use a receiver hitch basket and can't tow a trailer on a parkway so those options are out too.

So what do guys suggest?

Or

Or

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't watch the video, it is horrible. But mount a winch in your truck bed, and find a ramp to keep with you.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

As my dad got older he had a sheet of plywood, a mounted pulley from the hardware store and a hardware store style rope put in his truck. The wood sets up as a ramp and he ties one end of the rope to the deer, feeds through the pulley and he grabs the other end and pulls or walks.

He likes it, as long as the plywood stays put and doesn't give him too much trouble. The plywood gets shoved under the deer after it's on the tailgate and the whole thing slides forward so it doesn't bleed all over the bed.

I keep the L-E-Vator posted above in my truck all season. Works great and saved my back a few times with bucks dressed well over 200 lbs. If you hunt solo a lot it's worth every penny. The worst part of a drag is that last 3 feet up on the tailgate.

If there are trees around (just not over head limbs) I have run a rope through the front tie down bracket in the bed of the pickup, tied one end to the deer and the other end to a fixed object (i.e. tree, fence post, etc.) behind the truck. With the deer laying behind the truck and the tailgate down pull it forward SLOWLY. The rope will pull thru the tie down pulling the deer into the bed of the truck. You may have to stop a couple of times during the process to lift/reposition the deer so its not hanging up on the tailgate or back of the truck but the rope will do all the heavy lifting and if you don't back up it will hold the deer off the ground while you reposition it.

I know you said you don't want a receiver hitch but I'll throw out a slightly different idea that I use. I mounted a front hitch on my truck and have a cargo carrier on it. It stays on there from September through February with my sled strapped in and doesn't interfere with anything. It works great.

Is it the truck height or the deer weight or some of both that causes the issues?

For me it’s the height for the heavier bucks. I get on the tailgate and reach down and grab antlers. If I can get ahold of them I have no troubles but sometimes it’s too far and I need to tie something to the antlers just to pull them up a little to get ahold of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use a jet sled and 2 2x4s as a ramp. As an added bonus, you can cut them into peices and ratchet strap to your tires to use as makeshift wheel cleats and get your truck un-stuck

My father in law used something similar to the rack-jack and loves it. I have a small 4x8 trailer with a wench mounted to the front. The trailer serves multiple roles so I get my money's worth all year.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Cant tow a trailer, I missed that part.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I put a cargo carrier on my rear hitch for deer hunting season. I also carry a 4 foot by 2 foot piece of 3/4 plywood in my truck bed. By backing up to a small hill and using the plywood I can usually get anything reasonably sized up.

Last edited:
Take off the tailgate and use it as a ramp. Works on my old ranger, dunno about big tall trucks. Mind you I've never used this for a deer but I have used it for other unwieldy ****. It is a pretty steep angle but not as bad as picking straight up.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

An old man I hunt with put an eye bolt in the center of his truck bed near the cab. He has the same t that he hangs his deer to skin them in the back of the truck with the pulley system. He takes a board and lays it from the truck to ground at and angle and ties the deer to it. He then pulls the deer up the board with the t and pulley system connected to the eye bolt. It’s very efficient and cheap!

Back