• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting kids outdoors

As much as we would love to be hardcore hunters 24/7. It is important that the next generation loves the outdoors as much as us. I wrote this column about getting my kids outdoors and I hope you enjoy it if you take the time to read it. Thanks

https://m.tryondailybulletin.com/2018/08/02/tales-of-the-hunts-tips-for-making-outdoor-kids/

Nice read thanks for sharing! When I met Steven Rinella, I asked him for advice on doing just as you described. I was thinking a podcast topic, but he asked if I thought a book would do. I said that would be a great idea, I wish I had said, do the podcast now, my kids are growing fast, lol!

Yeah I wish I had a time machine to go forward in time to see if Rinella’s kids will be hunters or still pursue the outdoors.

It makes me a bit sad to hear a good many of his podcast guests and other podcast guest experts that mention how they would have done things differently with their kids. It is easy to push them too hard.

Thanks for sharing this and it was good timing. I just experienced this last night. I got home from work, and then meeting with my financial guy (so my brain was fried) and my 9 yr old was playing his Ipad. I told him to turn off his electronics and go outside. A couple minutes later, just as I sat down at the computer to open up Saddle Hunter, he walked back into the room holding a small aquarium net and said that since we didn't have any night crawlers he wanted me to go down to the creek with him so he could try to catch a fish in his net. I started telling him that there was no way he could catch a fish with a little net like that but, then I thought what the heck am I doing, I just told him to get outside and hear I am sitting down at the computer.

So I get up and we go down to the creek together, he sticks is net under the edge of a rock, flips it over and a small sculpin swims right into the net. He picks it up and excitedly says " I told you could do it". It was the first sclupin he has ever seen and he thought it was the coolest fish. We then had a rock skipping contest for the next 30 minutes until dinner.

I took that fish swimming into his net as someone telling me "get off your but and get outside without hesitation next time".

I took that fish swimming into his net as someone telling me "get off your but and get outside without hesitation next time".

Yeah that someone pops his voice up sometime here to. He is such a know it all, its like he's omniscient or something. Good on you for going to the creek

Just listened to the JRE Podcast with Ted Nugent. He raised his son on wild game, fishing and hunting. Kid grew up to be a Vegan. You just never know what a kid gravitates towards.

Just listened to the JRE Podcast with Ted Nugent. He raised his son on wild game, fishing and hunting. Kid grew up to be a Vegan. You just never know what a kid gravitates towards.

Man, after that podcast i felt like i had just ran a marathon. Ted is intense. And i would assume that with Ted's tour schedule while his kid was growing up, his child got to hunt and fish, but raised on hunting and fishing is a different story i think.

I think it was in Steve Rinellas podcast in which they talk about exposing their kids to the outdoors, hunting, and fishing culture so that even if they don't choose to participate in it later on, they will still fight for our rights.

Back