• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting Tape Goo out of the Amsteel bridge

KCbuckeye22

I taped my caribiner and ran a amsteel bridge through it. I know dumb idea, now the bridge isn't smooth. So how do I get the sticky out of the amsteel?

Any suggestions? I called samson rope and they deferred me to a arborist that seemed hesitant and didnt give a good answer.

I don't know how it will react with the amsteel, but plain old rubbing alcohol will dissolve the goo. I don't recommend putting chemicals on the rope however unless you get approval from.Sampson

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know how it will react with the amsteel, but plain old rubbing alcohol will dissolve the goo. I don't recommend putting chemicals on the rope however unless you get approval from.Sampson

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

Given that a bridge is a pretty critical part of your system, I wouldn't put any chemical on it unless specifically told to do so by the manufacturer. Rubbing alcohol is pretty safe stuff, but amsteel is cheap and splicing is easy. Falling backwards at 20ft up is easy I guess, but not cheap.

That's another reason I like tubular webbing for a bridge. Ridiculously easy to keep a few lengths cut to the proper size and just tie a new one on if there is ANY doubt about the shape of your current bridge.

Back