• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ghillie Suit

Silvio

Guys I've been working on this ghillie suit project for a while...its finally ready for the season. Many of my setups are quite a long hike in and out. Most of the suits on the market are pants and top...just need something to break up my outline. I always wanted a poncho style so I desided to buy a womans shawl pattern and cut the pattern out of cargo netting. Bought the material at JFabrics... cut the pattern out and sewed it together...this was my first sewing project. My wife has two manicans and once I had the cargo netting sewn together I just hand stitched the synthetic fiber thru the loops one at a time. Its a two piece suit, hat and shawl.
I'm always hunting my way in and my way out when approaching my set ups this should give me some added concealment of breaking up my human outline20190716_074531.jpg20190716_081710.jpg

Last edited:
I like it! I use a ghillie suit(s) that I’ve made decently frequently when hunting on the ground. Deer look right through you most times.
One thing that I’ve learned with mine is that you “don’t want to look like a ghillie suit, you want to look like nothing”

For me this meant getting various materials, not just jute twine. I use burlap, twine, some Tule(not sure on spelling) and even fake plants from Hobby Lobby.

Also, watch out being too dark, it’s incredibke how “light” nature is. If you only use dark green I feel like our stick out more than blend in

I like it! I use a ghillie suit(s) that I’ve made decently frequently when hunting on the ground. Deer look right through you most times.
One thing that I’ve learned with mine is that you “don’t want to look like a ghillie suit, you want to look like nothing”

For me this meant getting various materials, not just jute twine. I use burlap, twine, some Tule(not sure on spelling) and even fake plants from Hobby Lobby.

Also, watch out being too dark, it’s incredibke how “light” nature is. If you only use dark green I feel like our stick out more than blend in
This has four different colors, but funny you should mention hobby lobby...my wife and I are going there to look for some lite silk type leaves I can stitch in...thanks for the reply
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

Pretty cool man, I've been wanting a ghillie suit may have to make one as well.

Good advice from @KYHunter. Whatever you're doing to use, examine it from 30-50 yards away outside in natural surroundings like you would be hunting in. Most of the time you'll be amazed at how objects and the color of objects still stick out as not natural (like being too dark, having a distinct outline, etc). Think about the top natural predators, they're mostly light colored (tan) with dark scattered in.

All good advice on staying away from dark colors. I eventually went with a leafy suit (mesh material with light brown synthetic leaves sewn on) instead. That thing looks great from any angle and looks natural when the breeze blows.

Also, don’t forget to cut away material so that you can draw and shoot your bow

Back