• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Going west for elk… trad or wheeled?

Jagger0502

SH Member
I haven’t touched my compound in two years. I am going after elk next year and I feel very confident with my longbow… but also feel limited with my range compared to my compound out west. I had thought about giving my compound away this year but got to thinking about this elk trip, paying for the non resident license and all the money wrapped up in the trip and having an elk just out of range of my longbow might destroy me. I hunt to fill the freezer so I am leaning towards the compound. On the other hand… to take one with my longbow…

Thoughts?

I haven’t touched my compound in two years. I am going after elk next year and I feel very confident with my longbow… but also feel limited with my range compared to my compound out west. I had thought about giving my compound away this year but got to thinking about this elk trip, paying for the non resident license and all the money wrapped up in the trip and having an elk just out of range of my longbow might destroy me. I hunt to fill the freezer so I am leaning towards the compound. On the other hand… to take one with my longbow…

Thoughts?

As someone who just missed a 6x6 with my recurve at twenty yards that I can guarantee would have been dead with a compound I say…………Trad bow. :)

But it’s something only you can answer. What’s more important. Killing one with your longbow or putting meat in the freezer? If it’s all about meat why not go in rifle or muzzleloader season to further increase your odds?

As someone who just missed a 6x6 with my recurve at twenty yards that I can guarantee would have been dead with a compound I say…………Trad bow. :)

But it’s something only you can answer. What’s more important. Killing one with your longbow or putting meat in the freezer? If it’s all about meat why not go in rifle or muzzleloader season to further increase your odds?
i kinda feel like it is important to put meat in the freezer with my longbow…. I can have both right?

I am going to drive out (maybe solo because I can’t find anyone that is able to tag along) for archery and if unsuccessful I had planned to drive back out with the flintlock or rifle for a late season with my dad and brother with or without a tag if I fill it early.

I've been a method hunter most of my life. It's more important to me how I kill than if I kill. If you want to kill with your longbow you have to carry it. If a kill is more important then take what you are most efficient with.

i kinda feel like it is important to put meat in the freezer with my longbow…. I can have both right?

I am going to drive out (maybe solo because I can’t find anyone that is able to tag along) for archery and if unsuccessful I had planned to drive back out with the flintlock or rifle for a late season with my dad and brother with or without a tag if I fill it early.

You can.

I can say that I had no regrets missing with my stickbow this year and it sounds like you have the meat side of it covered by going back out in late season. But as the @thedutchtouch points out you knew the answer you wanted to hear when you picked the forum to post the question in. :)

Last edited:
You know the answer you wanted when you picked the forum to post in...

(But as a newbie to trad I say take the wheels lol)
Haha, I should post the same question over there and see what they tell me… but you make a good point. I want to take the longbow. I am just trying to convince myself that it won’t be my undoing if I have one just out of range.

I've never hunted elk, but I know guys that have done it. The distance issue would make me think twice....possibly 3 or 4 times. Elk tags are expensive and if I went, I wouldn't be messing around with a weapon that wouldn't get the job done just because I couldn't close the distance. :rolleyes: I'd love to and would rather kill an elk with a trad bow, a thousand times over.

I can say one thing for certain.... I'm glad I don't have to make that choice. :cool:

As someone that just pooched a shot with a ML on a 6x6 I truly say think it through & do what you think will give you the best memory/ experience/adventure! It’s totally what you feel comfortable with. Shoot what makes you happy. If you’re standing over a dead bull will you be ok with whatever method you shot him with. I’m not that picky, or a purist.

I’d say don’t handicap yourself any more than you already are by using a trad bow. I’ve always heard to practice for 60+ yard shots for elk. Not very realistic with a trad bow. An elk with any bow is a trophy IMO.

Nothing like bringing a knife to a gun fight….LOL. :)

I’ve killed many elk with a bow. Do whatever makes you happy.

If you want meat in the freezer then get an OTC rifle cow tag somewhere and have at it. Take the longbow on the trip you already have planned.

Was listening to this podcast on the way to work this morning and this topic came up. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-broken-arrow-podcast/id1609298302?i=1000626657638

I’m sure this will irritate some people but I’m just quoting what the guy, August Desson said on the podcast. He is from Wyoming and shot his first bull with a compound. It came into 3 yards, spooked, ran out to 70yds, stopped and he shot it. He said it was meaningless to him. He said, and I quote “the elk beat me, he ran back to a distance that he felt he was safe but still died”.

Nobody shoot the messenger, just repeating a guys opinion who lives in WY and hunts elk.

He did go onto say he’s been hunting elk for several years with his trad bow and has yet to kill one. So there is that too.

Edit: but, like I said before @Jagger0502, only you can answer the question. If you will be happy standing over a dead bull that you killed with a compound, take the compound. If you think you might be standing there feeling that something is missing because you didn’t shoot it with your longbow, then take the longbow.

Personally, the cost of the tag for me has no bearing. I pay that for the adventure. A dead elk is just a bonus.

Last edited:
Haha, I should post the same question over there and see what they tell me… but you make a good point. I want to take the longbow. I am just trying to convince myself that it won’t be my undoing if I have one just out of range.
The weapon is never the limitation, only the skill and commitment of the hunter.

I have bow hunted elk 6 times, three with compound and three with stick bow. 5 of the 6 hunts I have had clear shots at elk 25 yards or less. I have only killed one because the other times I had the wrong tag for the shot op. I have killed one with the compound. It was at a whopping 10 yards. I have been consistently good at getting on elk, just not consistently good at getting on the right elk, the bow in hand had nothing to do with it. I need to keep sharpening the indian.

Back