• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Good rock climbing harness

JakeD

After researching different saddles and prices, I think I'm going with a harness and sit drag. Anybody have any suggestions on rock climbing harnesses?

I've been considering RCH + sitdrag/fleece as a backup system for either myself or if I take someone hunting with me this year.

From the very limited research I've done on them so far it seems that any RCH will do the job. The question is how comfortable do you want to be and what are your sewing skills (as some don't come with lineman's loops)? I've been looking on amazon for "arborists harness" and there are a few that are decently priced with plenty of padding and have lineman's loops already installed.

Following this thread incase someone more experienced can provide better insight.

Zero sewing skills on my end. I've never tried it though, so maybe it wouldn't be too difficult. My preference is that I would be able to get one with loops already on it. I've been looking at amazon as well, but I'll wait to get some insight before pulling the trigger.

I have a rock harness with linemans loops woven in and a sit drag with tubular webbing bridge for sale in the classifieds if your interested

Black Diamond Couloir is lighter than most and packs up small

I got it to use as a safety harness for treestands and also my Sit Drag

I girth hitched some Petzl 9inch runners off of Amazon on the hips to use as lineman’s loops

Works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be a dumb question, but isn’t a RCH+SD setup comparable in price to saddle-only Mantis or AH Kite purchase? What would be the real advantages with the commercial saddles available for actual hunting? Excuse my ignorance.

RCH + SD is most definitely cheaper than a commercially built saddle.

I say it would be roughly equivalent to building your own hang-on out of spare parts vs buying a commercially built hang-on. Your mileage may vary based on your building expertise/use cases.

It is entirely possible you can build one on your own that performs just as good if not better than the commercial option. However with the commercial option you are afforded the peace of mind that it is built sound and has been built by people with many many combined years of experience.

The reason I bought a commercial saddle last year (instead of RCH + SD) was to save myself the time/risk of perfecting my own system.

Last edited:
I've got $50 in my harness, $10 in 2 mil-spec sitdrag esc saddles, $50 in rope, and $22 in step and platform, so basically I am fully setup for under the price of just a saddle

Back