• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Good sewing machine that doesn’t break the bank?

DannyAttacksTheMountain

Hey all,

I’m on the market for a good sewing machine that doesn’t break the bank. I plan to use for my diy hunting gear/clothing projects(step aiders/ ghillie suits/clothing repair/pack packs/etc)

Thanks in advance,
DATM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A used machine is your best bet. I know its not as convenient as strolling over to walmart and just picking one up. People will literally give sewing machines away. To sew webbing well you need a machine with some grit. Look for machines that are older and not plastic. I have several great machines that i got for free or like $10. Now that people know i sew i will get text that are like hey do you want this machine?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bring a spring scale and if it weighs over 35 lbs and spins freely it should be good. Old Singers are easy to get parts for if needed. You might find one free on Craigslist.

Agree with LeanMachine, when I went down that rabbir hole I started with a new singer 4452. Destroyed it trying to sew webbing. Apologized to the wife and bought her a new one. I then bought a rex 607 "cheap" walking foot. It did ok but didnt have much presser foot height to get material under. I then started buying older machines. I found an old Montgomery ward machine which is a singer 15 clone ( $17, cost more to ship) made in Japan. Worked better than anything else I tried. I have since bought a actual singer 15-91. Prices have skyrocketed since covid 19 and everyone started making masks but you can still find good deals.

Oh, and by the way, I read on hear before I started all that to do just that, "go find an old singer or singer clone". I still did it the hard and more expensive way. Just sayin' learn from my mistakes.

Agree with LeanMachine, when I went down that rabbir hole I started with a new singer 4452. Destroyed it trying to sew webbing. Apologized to the wife and bought her a new one. I then bought a rex 607 "cheap" walking foot. It did ok but didnt have much presser foot height to get material under. I then started buying older machines. I found an old Montgomery ward machine which is a singer 15 clone ( $17, cost more to ship) made in Japan. Worked better than anything else I tried. I have since bought a actual singer 15-91. Prices have skyrocketed since covid 19 and everyone started making masks but you can still find good deals.

Oh, and by the way, I read on hear before I started all that to do just that, "go find an old singer or singer clone". I still did it the hard and more expensive way. Just sayin' learn from my mistakes.
I still can't believe the quality of a sewing machine you can get for $20. These things will last more than 500 years if kept dry and are used a few times a year,

Hey all,

I’m on the market for a good sewing machine that doesn’t break the bank. I plan to use for my diy hunting gear/clothing projects(step aiders/ ghillie suits/clothing repair/pack packs/etc)

Thanks in advance,
DATM

I’m not sure what your price range is or where you’re located but an older all metal machine can be found fairly cheap where I’m at. I just kept searching Facebook marketplace and Craigslist in my area for industrial machines. Eventually a deal popped up. I found a tacsew t111-155 for $200. It is a walking foot and needle feed and sews anything I’d use it for with heavy thread. I’ve since added a servo motor to it which makes it very controllable. I’ve got about $350 into it. Since I got it I haven’t touched my older white home machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m not sure what your price range is or where you’re located but an older all metal machine can be found fairly cheap where I’m at. I just kept searching Facebook marketplace and Craigslist in my area for industrial machines. Eventually a deal popped up. I found a tacsew t111-155 for $200. It is a walking foot and needle feed and sews anything I’d use it for with heavy thread. I’ve since added a servo motor to it which makes it very controllable. I’ve got about $350 into it. Since I got it I haven’t touched my older white home machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very cool. I’ll definitely check fb marketplace and CL. I plan to spend $200 at the most. I appreciate the info

Back