• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Good sewing machine ?

Bruce G

Found this at my grandmothers house today. She says it’s not working but thinks it’s something simple to fix. I was going to bring it to a sewing machine shop to get an estimate on getting it in working order. Looking for some input from the sewing gurus. Good machine? I’m reasonably mechanically inclined what should I look for if I was going to attempt to repair myself. Thanks.4C90865E-8852-4C71-B523-C2868CC95AB0.jpeg

I plugged it in and it has power and seems fine. My grandmother said after a while it gets all tangled at the bottom. I watched a YouTube video and now know how to thread the thread through the tension knob and the other small holds along the way. I’ll bring it to a local shop to get a tune up. Seems like it will be an awesome machine.

In my experience, they all get tangled up at certain times. Working a sewing machine is a juggling match between successful sewing and problem solving. You will have issues and tangled messes from time to time. It may just need a good cleaning. Take it apart, clean it and oil it, make sure that it is threaded correctly and after that it is mostly a tension adjustment thing. Once you get the tension set right your projects will hum along nicely until you change fabrics and then you have to adjust tension again to meet the new fabric/thread size needs. Good luck with it. I started with one kind of like yours and now have two industrial machines. It can be addicting making new gear.

Budgetbuck1 thanks for the reply. When you say oil it are you talking WD 40? I have to do some more research to understand what’s involved with a tune up. My grandmother said she thinks she has the manual I’m sure that will help. I’m hoping I have some time later tonight to play with it. Maybe I’ll hold off on bringing it to the shop and see what I can get done myself.

Budgetbuck1 thanks for the reply. When you say oil it are you talking WD 40? I have to do some more research to understand what’s involved with a tune up. My grandmother said she thinks she has the manual I’m sure that will help. I’m hoping I have some time later tonight to play with it. Maybe I’ll hold off on bringing it to the shop and see what I can get done myself.

Nooooooooo wd40. Sewing machine oil only

My first sewing machine was nasty with wads of fabric and thread stuck in the gears and underneath the bobbin holder. I cleaned the entire thing with a toothbrush and then oiled it with sewing machine oil that I picked up at a local sewing shop. Once I got everything cleared out and oiled it ran like a top. Hopefully that is all you will need to do with yours. Is everything on the inside metal or is there plastic inside?

Looks like it’s all metal. Looks like there’s some dust inside there. No fabric or thread in the gears or underneath the bobbin holder. I have a shop across the street from my store I’ll get an estimate for a tune up. Looks like there’s a light bulb that needs to be replaced as well. I’ll let you know how I make out.

Back