• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gooned up and stepped in a buck bed; need advice

Red Beard

SH Member
Oh great saddle sages,

BLUF: I stepped in an uber-fresh buck bed yesterday morning and now I don't know what to do... :( Please advise!

Background: We just bought a new house on 16 acres at the beginning of SEP. The huntable portion is basically a rectangle with two big hills (mountains to me), running North to South right separated down the middle (North to South) by a valley with a slow moving creek. For perspective, each hillside is a 100ft drop in about 60yds of slope. The valley running down the middle eventually opens to a tall grass swamp toward the south of the property and the creek (flowing North to South) dumps into a stream (flowing West to East) along the bottom border. There are 80yds of grass between the tree line and the stream. There is a subdivision on the other side of the stream. I've toured the hilltop ridges but we've been pretty busy moving/unpacking and I haven't had time to scout the swamp area in the south. The only thing I know about the tall grass swamp is from cyber-scouting and topos.

Monday morning events: Never been one to walk into waist-high grass/muck, but since so many of my Heroes here are doing it, thought I could give it a try too. ;) So yesterday, I headed south and picked my way through a bunch of crap to where the trees thin out and the tall grass starts taking over. My headlamp was primarily pointed upward as I was trying to find a suitable tree when I noticed that I had walked 15-20ft into a pile of depressed grass. This was literally the first time I've ever seen a "bed" so I found the nearest tree right in the middle of them and climbed to 18ft (in hindsight #1, I should've backed out and found a tree farther off). Spent all morning in that tree looking out into the swamp and down at my feet. The view was fantastic! However, didn't see a deer at all and decided to get down at 1000. Rappelled out of the tree and got all packed up. Before leaving the tree, I briefly looked around and saw a very large, UBER-FRESH bed. It was owned by either a monster or Sasquatch. This was the last one in the immediate vicinity and it backed up against a bunch of thick stuff. In hindsight #2, I probably shouldn't have walked through it, but I got excited and I did. I'm kind of glad I did though because I couldn't see the mud escape route behind the tree trunk until I walked into it. The escape went 20yds due east into the adjacent property. In walking the escape route, I realized how big this deer must be due to the size of tracks in the muck.

Advice needed: Should I hunt that bedding area at the next available opportunity with favorable wind (Friday evening)? Or let it cool off and wait until the leaves fall so I can see it from the adjoining ridge (farther away).

Additional info that may help:
1. I'm pretty serious about scent control this year (new boots that haven't seen any other surface other than the woods, ozoning the crap out of everything, so I'm not sure how much I left in the area as I walked through.
2. I'm the only one hunting this property and this is my third time out this year. I've moved to a different tree/area every time.
3. We're new to the neighborhood, but I don't know of any other hunting pressure in the immediate surrounding parcels.
4. GIS shows this particular bedding (southern part of our 16 acres) is surrounded by hardwoods and 10-20 acres parcels with houses for 1/2 a mile in every direction. I can't tell where these deer are eating. The closest opening of any kind is a 4 acre field due West about .65 miles away (I can see the rows on Maps but don't know what kind of crop they planted). EDIT: GIS shows four steep hills (similar to mine) between this bedding and the 4 acre field. I remeasured using the route I think a deer would take around the slopes, instead of over them. Using this route, deer would border the tree line next to the stream flowing West to East. This route turns out to be a full mile.

Last edited:
Map would make it easier to get an idea of what you're talking about.

You left scent all over. Whether those specific deer will be tolerant of it, is the only variable. It seems to be fairly common that old mature deer will not tolerate human intrusion where they bed on a regular basis. Maybe you get lucky and walking through once doesn't disturb them. But hanging a set will leave a lot of scent. They will "know" you spent time there, not just passing through.

Also, if you walked in in the morning, and didn't bump deer out of the beds, and they didn't come into the beds for the day, that should tell you something. They either don't bed there daily, or they intended on coming to those beds and smelled/saw/heard you and didn't.

@kyler1945 I'll try to post a map later today. Yeah, pretty sure I bumped the one on the way in. It looked like something had been there that morning. I just couldn't hear anything because it just finished raining and the trees were still dripping like crazy. Also, I had my headlamp on because I didn't know where I was going...

As Kyler1945 said the question is how much the deer tolerate. Good news is you found the bedding! Also being as close to they are to housing I would think they would have some level of tolerance to human scent. Not sure if sharing his bed with you qualifies.

I would suggest find some way to watch from afar. Then make your plan.

I basically did the same thing a couple weeks ago on some public ground. It was a drizzly evening hunt and I bumped him out. I was able to get a look at him and he didn't seem real spooked. I came back in the next morning with favorable winds and no luck. I've since backed out and waiting on rut or the crops to be out so he's a little more vulnerable.

2019-10-15 15.30.07.png
Yellow was a walk I took in SEP. Purple was my approach on Monday morning. Teal is the bed. Biggest one was in the right corner with an exit onto the neighboring property.
2019-10-15 15.29.08.png
Shows bedding proximity to the swamp and stream.
2019-10-15 15.54.43.png
Terribly rough (and old) topo attempting to show the valley down the center of the property.

Last edited:
Trail camera? Maybe one of those fancy ones that will send pics to your phone so you can stay out of the area until you have a favorable wind.

Trail camera? Maybe one of those fancy ones that will send pics to your phone so you can stay out of the area until you have a favorable wind.
I'd love one of those! Haven't been able to put out my Primos bulletproof on this new property yet. Only got one camera though and I'll probably get it put up on the ridge tomorrow near that rub since I plan on going up there to make a scrape line.

I personally wouldnt sweat it. get a treestand or tree picked out, wait a bit and go kill him. if it was a good well used bed he chooses it for a reason. In my opinion mature bucks are not easily pushed out of there core bedding areas.
This is why I love you Dave! Thanks man. You're a confidence booster for this buttercup! ;)

Dan infalt believes that mature bucks are actually much harder to push out of the area than younger bucks. Atleast from his observations. The way he explains it makes a lot of sense. If it were me I'd give it a week or two and go set up on it when the wind is right and see what's what.

Dan infalt believes that mature bucks are actually much harder to push out of the area than younger bucks. Atleast from his observations. The way he explains it makes a lot of sense. If it were me I'd give it a week or two and go set up on it when the wind is right and see what's what.
Thanks Murph. I think finding the bed, the huge tracks, and the clearly defined entrance/exits the other morning was a real blessing for me. Since then I've been able to identify how I think deer are using this particular piece of ground. Now I've just got to put out a camera to confirm it ;)

Thanks Murph. I think finding the bed, the huge tracks, and the clearly defined entrance/exits the other morning was a real blessing for me. Since then I've been able to identify how I think deer are using this particular piece of ground. Now I've just got to put out a camera to confirm it ;)

I agree with what Dave said above. Don’t overthink it. I have bumped them from beds multiple times and killed them shortly after. If it’s a secure place he WILL be back. I would advise against setting a camera up in or very near the bed tho. Checking it over and over will screw you more than stepping in his bed once. If you want to kill wait a couple days and get back in there. You can get pictures of him when he’s in your hands Unless you have a spot that is easily checked without bumping him or getting your scent in the area. Other than that I wouldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with what Dave said above. Don’t overthink it. I have bumped them from beds multiple times and killed them shortly after. If it’s a secure place he WILL be back. I would advise against setting a camera up in or very near the bed tho. Checking it over and over will screw you more than stepping in his bed once. If you want to kill wait a couple days and get back in there. You can get pictures of him when he’s in your hands Unless you have a spot that is easily checked without bumping him or getting your scent in the area. Other than that I wouldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger. Thank you sir. You guys are really giving me the confidence to get back in there and try again!

In terms of the camera, you're absolutely right. Putting it by the bed is a bad idea. I was planning on creating a scrape line on the western part of the property along that ridge and installing the camera over the last one near that rub in the northwest corner. The wind is right for getting that done today. How many scrapes would ya'll put on that ridge? The whole thing is 160yds long (as measured from the northwest corner to where it turns and slopes to the southeast toward the bedding area).

My strategy would to setup a observation stand far enough out that you can see the bed, but get out undetected if the buck is in it. Maybe 100 yards out. Once you see him and it's a buck you want to shoot. Take note of direction of travel to and from bed, and wind direction. Then hunt the very next day if the condition is the same. While in your observation stand take note of a tree that you think you could get to with out spooking him and will be able to get a shot. This is one of my favorite strategy and has worked very well. Yes you burn a few sits, but the info you get will really open your eyes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back