• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gotta brag on silent approach 1 more time

CRogers

Alright so a few days ago I bragged on the silent approach steps I was using for my ros. At that time I was currently using some modified Hawk helium's to get up the tree but was looking for a way to ditch the sticks and cut some weight/bulk. I watched several videos on the bullman outdoors YouTube channel until I couldn't take it anymore, I gave in and ordered their climbing method package. It comes with 10 steps, cam straps, 2 pouches and a waist belt. They came in today and I fell in love with them after getting them on the tree. Very compact, quiet, lightweight and most of all user friendly. If you're looking for a way to get rid of sticks but spikes or other climbing methods aren't legal in your area, and want an easy lightweight way to get up a tree I highly recommend them.

Awesome glad you like them. I could never get them tight enough as a RoS to like them. I never hunted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with them so far. I'd heard some people say that about the ros platform, the only trees I have in my yard are hardwood trees so I don't much experience knowing how good they bite on various types of bark. I'm hoping I can make a trip to the woods at some point and try them on several different trees.

I just got a set in the other day as well. I have not had a chance to try them yet. I also just got a set of heliums. I have climbed several trees with them and I really like them so far. I had some WE steps but sold them, just couldn't get them to do what other people seem to. I am going to be practicing with both the sticks and the SA steps and using both during the upcoming season. I started looking into SRT/DRT and told myself to slow down. Not enough time to try it all right now.

I used them last season exclusively. My only complaint was the pouches. I removed the insert and they were better but the stitching is coming undone so I kanked (that is a word) them and use my Kestrel bag. Climbing is slower than sticks but faster than screw in steps. But the entire set bag in all is 5 1/2 pounds and fits in my pack. I sold my WE steps and have a set of LW sticks for sale now.

@Sziggy2.0 watch their YouTube channel for your sa steps. They will explain in the video about how to space them. When you step on them to climb keep your foot close to the tree and just remember it's not like stepping on a screw in step. That's really the only learning curve there is. They're user friendly

@Heydeerman yeah I'm wondering how the bag will hold up throughout the season. May eventually just try to find me a small lightweight fanny pack that's made of a more durable fabric and has heavy duty zippers to keep them in. That's my only 2 complaints so far, the bag and that you can't use aiders or anything to shorten the amount of steps you need like you can with w.e. steps.

@Heydeerman yeah I'm wondering how the bag will hold up throughout the season. May eventually just try to find me a small lightweight fanny pack that's made of a more durable fabric and has heavy duty zippers to keep them in. That's my only 2 complaints so far, the bag and that you can't use aiders or anything to shorten the amount of steps you need like you can with w.e. steps.
That’s not completely true. Do a search on the @redsquirrel aider. It will work with any step/bolt/stick. It would only add a foot loop to attach to your tether. It’s not as easy to move as a wild edge aider but it will work.

I've been playing with old aluminum strap on steps for the upcoming season, and I"m curious about the SA for a climbing method too, please keep us informed, thanks!

I got a set recently as well. I’ll be out climbing this weekend and should know if they work for me. I’ll update the thread too

Wouldn’t @DanO steps be lighter and more compact compared to SA steps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Wouldn’t DanO steps be lighter and more compact

I think @DanO's steps with the double spring, mini cambuckle that Silent Approach uses and a thinner strap like came with my API skyhooks would be the ultimate setup.

I'm kinda debating dropping my stick project and going this route.

I think @DanO's steps with the double spring, mini cambuckle that Silent Approach uses and a thinner strap like came with my API skyhooks would be the ultimate setup.

I'm kinda debating dropping my stick project and going this route.

Better than bolts????

I wonder if a swaider could easily be used with a @DanO step

That’s not completely true. Do a search on the @redsquirrel aider. It will work with any step/bolt/stick. It would only add a foot loop to attach to your tether. It’s not as easy to move as a wild edge aider but it will work.
Didn't know that. I'll have to check that out.

@Sziggy2.0 watch their YouTube channel for your sa steps. They will explain in the video about how to space them. When you step on them to climb keep your foot close to the tree and just remember it's not like stepping on a screw in step. That's really the only learning curve there is. They're user friendly
Thanks for the advice, I already did watch the video. I am hoping I can sneak out of work a little early and try them this afternoon.

You could be right. I can’t see it but I am not a fan of aiders either. I did replace the pouches with the bag that came with my Kestrel and it works great. I have all the steps in one bag and it fits in my pack.

Back