• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

GPS for hunting

Mschmeiske

SH Member
Sep 4, 2017
New York
Hey, I’m looking to do some more out of state hunting this year and I was looking for recommendations on a solid GPS to carry. I’m hoping to keep it sub $300, but I am a quality guy so I could go upwards of $500 if that’s necessary. I don’t know much about them and have never really used one, but I figured now might be the time!

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Hey, I’m looking to do some more out of state hunting this year and I was looking for recommendations on a solid GPS to carry. I’m hoping to keep it sub $300, but I am a quality guy so I could go upwards of $500 if that’s necessary. I don’t know much about them and have never really used one, but I figured now might be the time!
I bought a Garmin 64st about 4 years ago and use it basically every time I go out. I now have a smart phone and it has GPS also but I find that the dedicated GPS unit gets better signal because it uses 2 independent satellite constellation networks. That is the good part. The bad part is if you are used to touch screen and easy typing you may get frustrated with this style (they may have gotten better) since it is like a cell phone from 1999. All that said, If I lost mine or it got destroyed, I would buy another one tomorrow. Oh, and they do eat batteries so if you go on a long hunt out of state and will be remote, pack plenty and carry a couple of spares on your person when out.

I put an orange paracord loop to make it visible if I set it down or dropped it I could hopefully find it.

Attachments

• Garmin 64st.jpg
    Garmin 64st.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

ketch22

SH Member
Oct 17, 2021
X2 on the 64st. I don’t always use it, but it’s always in my pack with fresh batteries. I usually OnX and my phone for ease of marking pins on pre saved areas, but in the case I go to a new area in the fly I’m using the 64.

Reactions: Mschmeiske

Topdog

SH Member
Jun 5, 2020
I couldn’t imagine going back to a normal gps after using ONX, mine all got shelved, I have an old iphone with no service plan that I only use for hunting and that basically serves as my dedicated gps now, works perfect, I cleared the memory of everything and only have the ONX app on it, so now I have a camera, gps, and sd card reader all in one, so essentially I carry 2 phones while in the backcountry and always a compass, if I’m going to be remote for several days on end, backpack hunting, I carry a power bank. Plus because that phone is old, I believe a 6 or something, I got a lifeproof case on ebay for like $10. My good phone is always turned off in a ziploc bag until I need it. Just another option maybe for ya!

Mschmeiske

SH Member
Sep 4, 2017
New York
Yeah I use my phone/OnX, but I worry about it failing and I wanted some sort of back up! I need to learn a compass. At 32 i should probably know how!

Reactions: Topdog

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
I've never had my GPS really remote, like back country out west but I have noticed that the built-in antenna on the Garmin gets reception in places my phone doesn't. Also, I think an advantage the GPS has is that the signal is coming from orbit and a cellphone signal is basically line of sight with towers on the ground. I could foresee being out of tower range or off in a deep draw in the mountains and a phone not getting a signal. I do like the OnX app and use it as well. I do have it show maps "off line" regularly though and I am only 6 or 7 miles from the nearest town when I'm hunting.

Topdog

SH Member
Jun 5, 2020
I've never had my GPS really remote, like back country out west but I have noticed that the built-in antenna on the Garmin gets reception in places my phone doesn't. Also, I think an advantage the GPS has is that the signal is coming from orbit and a cellphone signal is basically line of sight with towers on the ground. I could foresee being out of tower range or off in a deep draw in the mountains and a phone not getting a signal. I do like the OnX app and use it as well. I do have it show maps "off line" regularly though and I am only 6 or 7 miles from the nearest town when I'm hunting.
This is incorrect. Your phone also uses satellites for its GPS, I suggest anybody reading this thread to do some research on phones and the GPS capabilities it has, a simple google search will answer these questions, I’m not trying to argue, just hoping to help someone out, I have hunted all over the US in some of the most remote **** holes known to man and have never not had gps capabilities with a smart phone and ONX. To put it into perspective, I own an ACR PLB for how and where I hunt.

Last edited:

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
I'm going to second the Garmin Instinct watch couple with Google maps if I need to see the actual satellite imagery
These look pretty cool. Short question. Can you save waypoints and download them to Garmin Basecamp and upload from Basecamp to the watch?

josh9284

Nov 24, 2021
Florida
You can save your waypoints and download them to Garmin explore...which are topography satellite pics or you can download a normal satellite map on Garmin explore for a Google maps type view. You can also set coarse and waypoint and download those from the map to the Garmin Instinct..also allows for satellite tracking. You can choose which type of gps you would like to use as well as there are 3.

Reactions: gcr0003

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Nice. If and when I get ready to replace the 64st I have I will definitely give these a hard look. I like that it is a watch and I would be less likely to set it down somewhere and walk off.

The_Fit_Ness_Monster

Jan 31, 2022
N. Louisiana
There’s an app called Garmin Explore and any waypoint you mark on your watch automatically shows up on the App. The Garmin Explore app has satelite and topo.
Yeah Garmin explore is awesome its shows all waypoints and you can also touch a point on any maps app and type in the 8-10 difit coordinate into the watch and itll take you right to it. Back track features on the watch give you the option to get to a point via straight line or the way you came. And also to mention, i researched alot between the instinct and fenix and the high end one but for your budget the instinct acrually has better battery and tracking than the fenix but if you want to spend $1k+ the delta tactical is the bees knees and also 26 day battery life but that out of alot of people budget. But full blown tracking i get about 10 solid hrs with everything running on the watch. But just my normal track on the way in and on the way out i can get 3 ish days of battery respectively and after 3 years with this watch, using it for basic features not tracking just day to day i consistently get 10-12 days battery out of it before recharge. It blew my Suunto out the water hence the switch to Garmin.

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Been using a Garmin Oregon 450 for years. And it gets used hard, since when not hunting it lives on my dirt bike handlebars! Still going strong.

Got my eye on a Montana 700i, which has built in InReach....but man, the price is crazy.

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
If you want to also view those waypoints on the watch you can; however it’s a small screen and doesn’t have topo or satelittle on the watch itself. It can directionally point you to the existing waypoint and tell you distance. If you want all those features on the watch plus topo you’re looking at the Garmin Fenix, or one of their larger watches.

I use the watch to quickly mark waypoints while scouting without having to dig my phone out. I use it in conjunction with the Garmin explore app.

It’s very straight forward and simple. Here’s a quick look at what I use.
D9D49563-C87F-4BEB-A624-DE897FA4FD9D.jpegCEBFC60E-E2FF-4640-9DC0-DFDF9443F234.jpeg1DC2A1B3-92BF-454C-8EAA-611322321FE7.jpegF58316D3-99AD-4F8D-A8F9-70932304DA78.jpeg728D969F-BA02-454E-A562-8D789F432FA2.jpegA57E9C2D-7D02-4F33-AFDC-5988960E96A5.jpeg

The_Fit_Ness_Monster

Jan 31, 2022
N. Louisiana
Yeah prices are wild, ive found that there are some good <$300 gps systems and when dealing with GPS the $400-$600 range isnt always better than the sub 300, (they try to do too much) but if you get into the $800+ range those are all pretty spot on with more bells and whistles than most would need.

The_Fit_Ness_Monster

Jan 31, 2022
N. Louisiana
If you want to also view those waypoints on the watch you can; however it’s a small screen and doesn’t have topo or satelittle on the watch itself. It can directionally point you to the existing waypoint and tell you distance. If you want all those features on the watch plus topo you’re looking at the Garmin Fenix, or one of their larger watches.

I use the watch to quickly mark waypoints while scouting without having to dig my phone out. I use it in conjunction with the Garmin explore app.

It’s very straight forward and simple. Here’s a quick look at what I use.
View attachment 62838View attachment 62839View attachment 62840View attachment 62841View attachment 62842View attachment 62843
Ill add to this with a good point you made, so not having the topo feature isnt a big deal here in flat Louisiana but if i were hunting mountains i would definitely want the topo so see that elevation change

Reactions: gcr0003

ketch22

SH Member
Oct 17, 2021
One more point to add, I’ve never done it, but I’ve read you can buy an OnX chip for the Garmin’s and run OnX on the Garmin

Reactions: Dave11