• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

GPS Unit - What I want it to do for me. Does it Exist?

Center Punch

I want a GPS hand-held unit to bring information and capabilities back to my smartphone when it doesn't have cell service.

What information exactly?!?!?!

- Maps that sync with On-X, DeerCast, etc.
- Text Communication
- Phone Conversation

Are the last two only possible with those emergency-type units that require a monthly fee?
Like this one: Garmin GPSMAP 65 Multi-Band GPS Handheld Unit

Is there something out there that does this?

I want a GPS hand-held unit to bring information and capabilities back to my smartphone when it doesn't have cell service.

What information exactly?!?!?!

- Maps that sync with On-X, DeerCast, etc.
- Text Communication
- Phone Conversation

Are the last two only possible with those emergency-type units that require a monthly fee?
Like this one: Garmin GPSMAP 65 Multi-Band GPS Handheld Unit

Is there something out there that does this?

Short of buying a Starlink backpack travel kit (I have no idea how well they actually work) I don’t think you are going to find what your looking for.

The best solutions I think you are going to find are:

- download offline maps

- one of many satellite communication devices (they can be had for pretty cheap)

- satellite phone (more expensive than the communication devices that allow you to just send messages)

I use my phone and a zoleo. I have onx and spartan forge on there for my mapping. Both let me download maps to use offline and the with the zoleo I can text as needed in areas with no cell coverage. The zoleo is a subscription deal but you can switch it to standby and it's like $4 a month when you dont need it. The majority of places I hunt either have no or very limited cell coverage and I have had no issue with this combo.

Back