• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

great strap for ros

CRogers

I know a lot of guys don't like a ratchet strap and prefer the ocb. I was a little skeptical about using one but, since I was able to find this one for fairly cheap I figured I'd give it a shot. Very impressed! Yes you still have the click but this is one of the quieter ones I've found and it is rock solid and very well built. I'll take this over an ocb anyday. Just thought I'd share for anyone looking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190624-152019.png
    Screenshot_20190624-152019.png
    675.1 KB · Views: 112
I'll take this over an ocb anyday.
I'm trying to decide between this (with looped ends for a versa button) and an OCB for my platform.
You think the click is not as loud on these compared to other ratchet straps? I've never used an OCB. My concern with them is whether they would get tight enough to allow me to put my weight (205#) on the edge without the platform kicking out. Ratchet straps will get tight enough for sure... but they click... Decisions decisions.

I'm trying to decide between this (with looped ends for a versa button) and an OCB for my platform.
You think the click is not as loud on these compared to other ratchet straps? I've never used an OCB. My concern with them is whether they would get tight enough to allow me to put my weight (205#) on the edge without the platform kicking out. Ratchet straps will get tight enough for sure... but they click... Decisions decisions.
I can get a small OCB just as tight as a ratchet. It's not hard once you practice it a time or two.

I used one of these...until last night when I was trying on my new mantis and the ratchet failed and the steps slide down the tree...thankfully I was only a foot off the ground

@PastorKen I really don't feel like they're loud. I've used a ton of cheap straps just for throwing in the bed of the truck to keep back there for tying stuff down and these don't seem near as loud. But if your platform uses a versa button and you have the cam straps with the loop ends that are designed for going over that you won't have a problem. As long as your platform uses some sort of tree bracket like the batwing that the lone wolf and XOP stands have. I know from when I've used those hang on stands in the past when they're cam locked properly, they're solid. At least in my opinion I always felt they were.

I used one of these...until last night when I was trying on my new mantis and the ratchet failed and the steps slide down the tree...thankfully I was only a foot off the ground
Glad you weren't hurt but I've never had that experience. I survived many hunts from hang on stands using ones that were a lot cheaper quality than these.

@Nutterbuster it can be done just a matter of preference I guess. I just refuse to believe it's loud enough to hear from 40 yds away. Besides, I subscribe to your channel and you don't even mess with straps anymore. You all about them grade 8's and you know it

@Nutterbuster it can be done just a matter of preference I guess. I just refuse to believe it's loud enough to hear from 40 yds away. Besides, I subscribe to your channel and you don't even mess with straps anymore. You all about them grade 8's and you know it
You can tighten a ratchet quietly for sure. Just a bit more fiddly, and it's larger. You know how I hate bulk. ;)

We'll see about the grade 8 bolts. But yes, you may be right!

Hey I like the idea, I watched the video this morning. I can't use em where I'm at or I'd definitely be looking into it. Maybe next year, I think I may finally get to join a club that's about 20 min from the house that's roughly 4,000 acres. I've been on the waiting list for several years so we'll see. If I can get in I'd like to try bolts or spurs.

The only reason I haven’t went to a ratchet is the space it takes up on a small tree. It’s like I have a huge gap where steps need to go.
I’ve recently discovered I been having my OCB facing the wrong way. I always have it on the right side and cam it over towards me. I turned it to cam away from me and it was easier. I still have trouble fumbling with it. When I tried to pull the tag end tight, my whole strap wants to slide around the tree and it messes up my spacing. That’s my biggest problem. Maybe I need a strap material that grips the tree.

That is one negative I have found also. My buckle is pretty low profile and lays fairly flat so it doesn't get in the way too bad. But it still bugs me because I'm OCD lol. My strap is a polypropylene material, it doesn't slide around too much, at least it doesn't seem to. I've been playing with it trying to see if I'd like to use something else but so far I'm content with it.

Once i figured out my OCB i was set. Took me a while to get it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks just like the one that comes with the Bullman ROS! I have no problem with the noise as long as you do not get in a hurry!!!!

Glad you weren't hurt but I've never had that experience. I survived many hunts from hang on stands using ones that were a lot cheaper quality than these.
And I have also that is why it happened I was more than shocked. I guess it’s time to try an OCB or a platform

@Recurveaholic it is. I ordered a longer one just in case I needed it for bigger trees. The one they send is 5' I think. The next step up from 5 is 10 so I just ordered it and cut it down to 6'

@Recurveaholic it is. I ordered a longer one just in case I needed it for bigger trees. The one they send is 5' I think. The next step up from 5 is 10 so I just ordered it and cut it down to 6'
Then yes it is a great strap! I am glad you found this cause I love this strap it is one of the best ones I have seen, thanks!!!

Once i figured out my OCB i was set. Took me a while to get it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biggest thing I like about a ratchet is once I go around the tree I can give it 1-2 clicks and that tightens it enough to take the slack out and allow me to space my steps. I'm still green so I need all the help I can get lol. But to me it just seems like less fiddle factor in the dark that way. Everyone has their preference.

I need loop ends for my versa button. And I think I want the extra tightening ability of the heavy ratchet strap because my platform sticks farther out from the tree than a ROS. Therefore, my weight has more lever arm to pull the strap away from the tree and push the bracket into the bark. I do like @Nutterbuster idea of tightening in stages. I'll tighten the platform down, stand on it, tighten it again. Goodnight all.
Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 10.51.45 PM.png

I have that same ratchet strap on the way to my door. I paid the few extra cents for the all black ratchet though.
I also got the 10' length so I can trim it down to about 7'. I was afraid the 5' strap might be a little short in some
circumstances.

I have that same ratchet strap on the way to my door. I paid the few extra cents for the all black ratchet though.
I also got the 10' length so I can trim it down to about 7'. I was afraid the 5' strap might be a little short in some
circumstances.
I did the same thing! All black rubber handle and cut 3' off the strap to make it an even 7. The original I got with my steps was just a little bit shorter than what I prefer.

Back