• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Green field or picked corn for last sit of year?

Will Harris

SH Member
temps near 40F today. sunny. baro peaking. muzzleloader. my public place has picked corn fields and winter wheat to choose from. way passed rut. seriously doubt 2nd rut even a factor now. can only shoot 1 doe. i have all mid day to scout/sneak and will til 3ish. i scouted some late last week and the sign is still scattered. MZ opened 4 days ago and i'm sure they hit it pretty hard sat/sun, but i doubt hardly any pressure mon/tues/wed. i'm good to 150yds w mz. light winds and sunny

taking the 3 legged chair and gonna watch sunset somewhere for last sit of season. where would you go?

I'd go green unless corn was recently picked (i.e. corn still on the ground)

I hunted a corn field this past weekend and saw a pile of deer. There was a lot of dropped corn though and easy pickins for them.
I don't have as much luck on the green stuff after our first few hard freeze/thaws. Ever freeze lettuce on accident? That's kind of what winter wheat, rye, alfalfa, etc. looks like up here after a couple of those freeze/thaws.

I chose green first because I figured the corn had been picked for a while but if it was freshly picked and there is still waste grain on the ground, that would be hard to pass up.

Depending where you're hunting, you might also have fresh grass growing in the picked fields.

Back