• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Greetings from Germany (although I'm not so new here)

foggyturtle

Hello to everyone from Germany.
I just realized that I haven't even introduced myself. I would like to make up for that now.
I've been registered here since November 2019 because that was the first time I heard about saddlehunting and thought it would be a good idea to hunt with a saddle, even if that's actually pretty much unknown in Germany.
Most of the hunters here (exclusively rifle hunters, because bowhunting is illegal over here) use raised stands (box blinds), ladders and "driven hunt stands", seats at the ground or (very) rarely a climber. But the hunters who use a climber are seen pretty much as "freaks" (by the way, I have one too, lol).
The first videos I saw were I think from the guys from the NY Saddlehunter youtube channel (if you're reading: Thank you very much, you helped me a lot. I think it was through you that I came across this forum).
Since it is impossible to buy a saddle in Germany and importing it from the USA is quite expensive, I had no choice but to make one myself. Luckily I struck gold here and discovered the thread of @ckossuth: DIY Kestrel Clone. I followed these instructions (thanks alot for them), but then made a small modification (longer loops for the linemansbelt) when the guys from Tethrd came out with their new Phantom saddle. In addition, I made a few platforms and steps for a ROS (but I haven't really used the steps yet). For climbing I currently use the DRT (for my presets) and the (modified) 2 tether method, which I first saw from Scott Adkins (and then later from Jerry Grose on youtube, who I think is also known here as @always89y) . But I'm also currently thinking about using the onestick method, because the faster rapelling appeals to me. Maybe I only use the longer tether from onesticking for my 2 tether method.

Regards,
foggyturtle

and thanks to Google for the translation :blush:, because I understand most of the spoken and written parts, but find it difficult to write.

Last edited:
Hello to everyone from Germany.
I just realized that I haven't even introduced myself. I would like to make up for that now.
I've been registered here since November 2019 because that was the first time I heard about saddlehunting and thought it would be a good idea to hunt with a saddle, even if that's actually unknown in Germany.
Most of the hunters here (exclusively rifle hunters, because bowhunting is illegal over here) use raised stands (box blinds), ladders and "driven hunt stands", seats at the ground or (very) rarely a climber. But the hunters who use a climber are seen pretty much as "freaks" (by the way, I have one too, lol).
The first videos I saw were I think from the guys from the NY Saddlehunter youtube channel (if you're reading: Thank you very much, you helped me a lot. I think it was through you that I came across this forum).
Since it is impossible to buy a saddle in Germany and importing it from the USA is quite expensive, I had no choice but to make one myself. Luckily I struck gold here and discovered the thread of @ckossuth: DIY Kestrel Clone. I followed these instructions (thanks alot for them), but then made a small modification (longer loops for the linemansbelt) when the guys from Tethrd came out with their new Phantom saddle. In addition, I made a few platforms and steps for a ROS (but I haven't really used the steps yet). For climbing I currently use the DRT (for my presets) and the (modified) 2 tether method, which I first saw from Scott Adkins (and then later from Jerry Grose on youtube, who I think is also known here as @always89y) . But I'm also currently thinking about using the onestick method, because the faster rapelling appeals to me. Maybe I only use the longer tether from onesticking for my 2 tether method.

Regards,
foggyturtle

and thanks to Google for the translation :blush:, because I understand most of the spoken and written parts, but find it difficult to write.

Welcome from NY! This place is a wealth of knowledge. I hope to make it to Germany some day, that’s where my family came from many years ago.
Is it hard to get a firearm and hunting permit over there?

Welcome from NY! This place is a wealth of knowledge.
I agree to this.
I hope to make it to Germany some day, that’s where my family came from many years ago.
Is it hard to get a firearm and hunting permit over there?
Jep, it's pretty hard (nearly impossible for a stranger) to buy a firearm over here. Only way is to bring one with you (also difficult I think) or borrow one (easiest way). Because we don't have public land open to hunting you have to be invited by a owner of a hunting lease to hunt over here.

Welcome! What are you hunting? Red stag? I have a couple small racks from my great grandfather who came over from Germany.
Hi, I'm hunting mostly wild hogs and roe deer. Red stags are rare in our hunting area, but in the last 8 weeks I almost daily hunted for one (most of the time out of my saddle, but sadly with no success).

Welcome from WNY (Near Buffalo)!! Awesome. My grandfather was from Plosen (umlof over the "o") so pronounced "Playson" he used to spend a lot of time as a teenager in Beyreuth. He came over here in 1919 or therabouts. In looking at pictures of the very bucolic village, my eyes were drawn to the surrounding woods and hillsides.... I'm thinkin' there has to be somethin' I can kill over there roaming those woodlands.

Welcome from WNY (Near Buffalo)!! Awesome. My grandfather was from Plosen (umlof over the "o") so pronounced "Playson" he used to spend a lot of time as a teenager in Beyreuth. He came over here in 1919 or therabouts. In looking at pictures of the very bucolic village, my eyes were drawn to the surrounding woods and hillsides.... I'm thinkin' there has to be somethin' I can kill over there roaming those woodlands.
Hi to WNY,
according to our woodowners we have a lot too many roe deer who are eating the young trees. Those things are the worst enemy of our "foersters" (and of course our wild hogs).
Plösen is a little town about 250 km east of my location, but pretty much the same landscape I think.

1634389657521.png
:)
(just a little joke; foerster is spelled over here like firster = 1st)

Last edited:
I agree to this.

Jep, it's pretty hard (nearly impossible for a stranger) to buy a firearm over here. Only way is to bring one with you (also difficult I think) or borrow one (easiest way). Because we don't have public land open to hunting you have to be invited by a owner of a hunting lease to hunt over here.

I’m Germany, you can buy a suppressor or silencer off the shelf, correct? (That is, you can walk into a store and use your money to buy a suppressor/silencer and not have to wait for the item?).

Was stationed near Frankfurt 20+ years ago. Beautiful country, great snowboarding and the damage the wild hogs did made for great offroading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m Germany, you can buy a suppressor or silencer off the shelf, correct? (That is, you can walk into a store and use your money to buy a suppressor/silencer and not have to wait for the item?).
Unfortunately I have to disappoint you. It is not that easy. Silencers, especially for pistols, are still absolutely forbidden items for normal gun owners. Excerpt from the hunting law for Bavaria, valid from 2020 (other federal states may differ): "In future, hunters may purchase silencers for long guns without a special permit and prior entry. A valid (German) hunting license is sufficient. As with the purchase of long guns, you must report the purchase of a silencer to the authorities within two weeks. The silencer is then entered in the gun ownership card. Silencers may only be used with long guns approved for hunting for ammunition with center fire. This only applies to hunting and hunting practice shooting. " (With a hunting license you can buy a long gun in a gun shop, but you must report the purchase to your local gun authorities within two weeks. They then enter the weapon on your weapon ownership card.)

Last edited:
Welcome from Mi! Would like to see some photos of what it looks like hunting over there.

Welcome from Mi! Would like to see some photos of what it looks like hunting over there.
Hi, because our wild boars are so dangerous, the hunters roam through the woods like this:
1634417516138.jpeg
and the hunting helpers like this:
1634417583881.jpeg
(just kidding, those guys are from a local reenactment group). :laughing:
What kind of photos do you want to see? From driven hunts or our normal hunting from high seats?

Last edited:
Hi, because our wild boars are so dangerous, the hunters roam through the woods like this:
View attachment 54980
and the hunting helpers like this:
View attachment 54981
(just kidding, those guys are from a local reenactment group). :laughing:
What kind of photos do you want to see? From driven hunts or our normal hunting from high seats?
What kinda terrain are you hunting?
Are the high seats like a ladder stand?
Some kill photos?

What kinda terrain are you hunting?
Are the high seats like a ladder stand?
Some kill photos?
I just looked through my computer and found that I only have older pictures of hunts.
January 2018 at the highest point in my hunting area (with a highseat in the background):
1634419835597.jpeg
same place in the summer from the highseat:
1634420366099.jpeg

Gathering for a driven hunt:
1634420104705.jpeg

Back