• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gri Gri vs Life Guard??

MFD205

I know from experience with my job Petzl makes great stuff. Never used any Mad Rock. Used the ID a bunch, but don't have any experience with the Gri Gri. To me it looks like a baby ID. I'm sure after reading all the conflicting comments I'll be super sure on which one to go with!?! Thanks.

Here is a recent thread: http://www.saddlehunter.com/communi...lifegaurd-vs-grigri2-for-srt.5799/#post-81831

The grigri2 is my favorite. The ID is awesome but it is large. I had trouble with RADS SRT with it because of its size. I don't do it often, but I'm much more efficient with the grigri. I can rappel very smooth on the grigri. The grigri doesn't lock like the ID though. I had a lifeguard but gave it to @ImThere at saddlepalooza. From what I can tell it is picky about what rope you use it on and it doesn't like the 9mm sterling htp I rappel on, it was jumpy. Others have had great luck rappeling with it.

Between the two, I would pick the GriGri2 as well. I use it for rappel and for rock climbing. I use a Petzl Rig for SRT. It is bulky, super awesome, and it gives me comfort suspending from it at heights up to 40 feet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I’m not sure about the gri gri because I have never used one ......the set up I use is the petzl rig which is awesome.....just bulky. So for 2018 I’m on a mission to simplify and make all of my gear as lite as possible. I bought the life guard to replace the rig because of size and weight. However not knowing at the time the life guard has to be weighted for it to bite the rope. For me that would be a weak link in safety. I’m sure there is a way to over come it with a back up pussik auto lock. But there again that would defeat the purpose for me. I haven’t ruled it out completely , I just need to play with it a lil more. Just know it does not auto lock.

I’m not sure about the gri gri because I have never used one ......the set up I use is the petzl rig which is awesome.....just bulky. So for 2018 I’m on a mission to simplify and make all of my gear as lite as possible. I bought the life guard to replace the rig because of size and weight. However not knowing at the time the life guard has to be weighted for it to bite the rope. For me that would be a weak link in safety. I’m sure there is a way to over come it with a back up pussik auto lock. But there again that would defeat the purpose for me. I haven’t ruled it out completely , I just need to play with it a lil more. Just know it does not auto lock.
Grigri has a similar issue.

Grigri has a similar issue.

True but not a badly as the lifeguard. I bring the tail of the rope up and keep things in the RADs configuration if I am using the grigri2 on my tether at height and I’m staying tied into my SRT access/rappel rope. The tail running up helps keep the grigri engaged. That helps. The petzl rig doesn’t work well on small diameter ropes and it’s bigger. I was using the rig with 10 mm snakebite rope. I liked that combination and it worked great but was bulkier than 9mm and grigri that I’m running now. Trade offs.

Maybe a dumb question but why not an ATC and auto block.

Light will stop and hold simple cheap ??? I don’t repel yet was wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe a dumb question but why not an ATC and auto block.

Light will stop and hold simple cheap ??? I don’t repel yet was wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ATC and auto lock work fine for repelling (I don’t have experience with them but have used a figure 8) but they don’t work for ascent. It’s nice to be able to go up and down on the same system without disconnecting. With something like the grigri or petzl rig or similar SRT device you have some more flexibility. You can climb, set up, swing out and trim a couple branches, adjust your platform, etc moving up, down, or out as you need and then back to your hunting position. Of course you want to move around as little as possible but the flexibility and ability is nice. It doesn’t weigh much.

ATC and auto lock work fine for repelling (I don’t have experience with them but have used a figure 8) but they don’t work for ascent. It’s nice to be able to go up and down on the same system without disconnecting. With something like the grigri or petzl rig or similar SRT device you have some more flexibility. You can climb, set up, swing out and trim a couple branches, adjust your platform, etc moving up, down, or out as you need and then back to your hunting position. Of course you want to move around as little as possible but the flexibility and ability is nice. It doesn’t weigh much.

When you get to hunting height do you stay on your grigri as is or do you have some kind of auto block.... I got my static in today waiting on my grigri to show up to give srt a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get to hunting height do you stay on your grigri as is or do you have some kind of auto block.... I got my static in today waiting on my grigri to show up to give srt a try.

I’m not sure what you mean by an auto block. If I climb with WE Stepps I have been tieing in with a tether and rope man.

A couple days ago the oak tree I wanted to set up in was too big for the WE Stepps rope to go around so I threw a line over a branch 35 feet up and used RADs to climb the rope. Then I set WE Stepps as my platform and stayed tied in with the grigri and ascent/rappel line. It worked well but I found slack went into the grigri when it wasn’t weighted. Pulling the tail of the rope up into a RADs position kept the device engaged.

I’m not sure what you mean by an auto block. If I climb with WE Stepps I have been tieing in with a tether and rope man.

A couple days ago the oak tree I wanted to set up in was too big for the WE Stepps rope to go around so I threw a line over a branch 35 feet up and used RADs to climb the rope. Then I set WE Stepps as my platform and stayed tied in with the grigri and ascent/rappel line. It worked well but I found slack went into the grigri when it wasn’t weighted. Pulling the tail of the rope up into a RADs position kept the device engaged.

There is a whole thread devoted to tying off when hanging from a grigri like you are since the grigri doesn’t lock off. I think that is what he meant.

There is a whole thread devoted to tying off when hanging from a grigri like you are since the grigri doesn’t lock off. I think that is what he meant.
Yep. It lead me to the gri gri for a while. Now I'm back to my Rig.

I never thought about it but do links through Tapatalk only work if your on the app?

They do. All I did was follow it. I usually post the regular one in case it gives someone problems.

Back