• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grigri vs Madrock Safeguard

Westdesign03

SH Member
I am considering getting one of these devices for rappelling. Right now I use a Black Diamond single rope ATC- belay device with a prusik and carabiner attached to the saddle to control it. It seems to work pretty well but wondered if one of these other devices would work better for controlling descent. Also I’m always of the mindset of 2 is 1, 1 is none especially when it comes to something I would depend on. In this kind of case I would keep the ATC as a backup. Does anyone have experience with both of these devices for hunting and if so, which do you prefer and why? Or should I just stick with the ATC and call it good? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can attest to the safeguard that’s all. Thing I love it’s a single small device that is super easy to control. Have to pull the lever out over 90 degrees to even start the descending. So definitely no way to bump it and get a wake up call lol. I use mine the whole way and obviously back down. Use my repel rope as my tether all the time. Makes everything super easy. The grigri I hear is just as good but from most the reviews I’ve read the safeguard was a better option for me. I also and new to all this in February so that being said it’s super easy to learn for newbie. I’m sure someone else can chime in on the grigri but I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

I’ve got a safeguard on the way. I’ve used and other belay devices. I’m currently using an ATC with an autoblock.

I like the idea of consolidating my tether adjustment and rappel into 1. I’ll run the autoblock for back up.

I can attest to the safeguard that’s all. Thing I love it’s a single small device that is super easy to control. Have to pull the lever out over 90 degrees to even start the descending. So definitely no way to bump it and get a wake up call lol. I use mine the whole way and obviously back down. Use my repel rope as my tether all the time. Makes everything super easy. The grigri I hear is just as good but from most the reviews I’ve read the safeguard was a better option for me. I also and new to all this in February so that being said it’s super easy to learn for newbie. I’m sure someone else can chime in on the grigri but I don’t think you could go wrong with either.
100%
All i need for hunting is my safeguard which i use for ascent and rappel, a bit of accessory cord which i use for backing up my safeguard and a pair of carabiners. when at height i put the prusik on my tether, as a backup to my safeguard, and place a stopper in the rope. undo the stopper and undo my prusik and im ready to rappel. no switching tethers, or unhooking at all.

i guess the grigri is pretty similar to the safeguard, but ive never used one. they are popular with climbers from what ive seen though.

I’ve used both, Grigri for rappelling buildings and from a helo and safeguard for saddle hunting. Both work very similarly to rappel, the grigri is a little bigger but the safeguard is a little noisier (it’s been a minute since I’ve used a grigri, they may be the same noise wise) but once on the rope they’re quiet. All it takes is a little control of the device to mitigate noise or just leave it on the rope for hunting and simply clip in when your at the tree. I’d say the safeguard for hunting, that’s what I’m running and love it and it’s smaller.

Sent from parts unknown

I've used both (still have both). The Grigri is sightly smoother on rappel than the Safeguard but over the distances we're rappelling it doesn't really matter. IMO the biggest advantage the Safeguard has over the Grigri for our purpose is the lack of a return spring. The Grigri (and Lifeguard) are belay devices which means they need to be able to feed rope backwards through the cam. To that end they have a return spring that holds the cam open under light load so that rope can be fed back through the cam.

The Safeguard was designed to be a work positioning device and has no return spring. This means the cam locks up easier completely preventing unintended uncamming of the device. Bottom line is it's a safer option for our purposes.

As far as noise goes, I actually think the Safeguard is a little quieter, the metal flap is smaller and the construction just a tad tighter. However, as was pointed out above, neither makes any noise once installed on the rope.

I've used both and they work the same. I agree with what everyone said above. If you unweight the GriGri or the Madrock Lifeguard the spring will kick it open so rope will feed. Any quick re-weighting and it locks up. The Safeguard has no spring so does not do this. You will not fall on any of these more than an inch or so. If you are buying new, the Safeguard and Lifeguard are cheaper than the Gri Gri. I also have a Beal Birdie which works the same and I think has the lowest list price. I use the Safeguard since I bought it on sale. I would buy the Safeguard but the others will work fine too. I have used the Lifeguard the most when I was hunting. The Gri Gri and Birdie are heavier and bigger.

Thanks a lot everyone for your input. Super helpful. Sounding like the safeguard is the hot tip. Think I will add that to my wish list.

No problem man that’s what we are here for! You will like it for sure. If you don’t I’ll buy it off you. ha ha ha

Sounds good. Always nice to have a way out just in case!

BTW, was looking around and noticed the safeguard was out of stock in a number of places. One site said it was discontinued from the manufacturer. Do you know if this is the case? Does the lifeguard replace it? Seems like they’re two different devices even though they’re similar.

The lifeguard is a different device it has a spring where the safeguard doesn’t. I believe on DanO’s site he has them.

Just one website that’s needed lol

The sites that said discontinued I believe is because that website will no longer be selling them or any Madrock brand items. DanO mentioned this a few months ago and said they were still actively being manufactured. I’ve picked one up in SRT kit and was shocked how easy and smooth it was.

Just one website that’s needed lol

The sites that said discontinued I believe is because that website will no longer be selling them or any Madrock brand items. DanO mentioned this a few months ago and said they were still actively being manufactured. I’ve picked one up in SRT kit and was shocked how easy and smooth it was.

Awesome thank you! Didn’t consider that DanO would have these.

Has the Grigri+ fixes some of those issues of the original? I'm looking at the wespur saddle kit and it uses the Grigri+

Has the Grigri+ fixes some of those issues of the original? I'm looking at the wespur saddle kit and it uses the Grigri+
The GriGri+ has a top rope mode which varies the spring pressure which should make it lock up quicker. It also has a panic handle so if you yank the handle completely open it will stop and not make you plummet to the ground. I don't have one, this is just what I read. If you forget just once while descending, the panic handle might be a good feature to have.

I've used both and they work the same. I agree with what everyone said above. If you unweight the GriGri or the Madrock Lifeguard the spring will kick it open so rope will feed. Any quick re-weighting and it locks up. The Safeguard has no spring so does not do this. You will not fall on any of these more than an inch or so. If you are buying new, the Safeguard and Lifeguard are cheaper than the Gri Gri. I also have a Beal Birdie which works the same and I think has the lowest list price. I use the Safeguard since I bought it on sale. I would buy the Safeguard but the others will work fine too. I have used the Lifeguard the most when I was hunting. The Gri Gri and Birdie are heavier and bigger.

If you were considering buying either the safeguard or the birdie both at full price, which one would you go with? I know you said the birdie is a little heavier, but wouldn’t mind saving some $ if I can. But if there’s a noticeable benefit to the safeguard, I’ll just suck it up and go with that one. I want whichever is safest and easiest/smoothest to operate.

I'll go out on a limb and disagree with everyone. If all you're using it for is to rappel, the system you have is probably best--super smooth rappel and lightweight. (Plus you will then have $90 to blow on something else.)

I'll go out on a limb and disagree with everyone. If all you're using it for is to rappel, the system you have is probably best--super smooth rappel and lightweight. (Plus you will then have $90 to blow on something else.)

This is true. I keep that in the back of my mind too. You’re referring to the ATC?

Back