• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grim Reaper

RRussell

Just putting a feeler out to see how people like their Grim Reaper heads? I am looking at using their expandable broadheads this year....mainly the fatal steel ones.

I shot the razortip 1 3/8" cut 3 blade mechanicals for years with good results. Wanting to try out a fixed blade this year though.

I like them. Shot for years. They put the blood on the ground for sure. If you have the energy hard to beat the razor tip whitetail special for downing game

I shot the GR Hybrid one's last year, I wasn't a fan. Can't speak to any other GR.

I like them. Shot for years. They put the blood on the ground for sure. If you have the energy hard to beat the razor tip whitetail special for downing game

I might bring one along (a Whitetail special) again as my rain arrow. If it is raining or snowing enough that tracking might be difficult, then I switch to my rain arrow and only take close range and perfect shots. If you center punch one with the big 2" 3 blade, then chances of them falling in sight is pretty high.

I shot a few deer with the WhiteTail Specials.
They are brutal! Blood everywhere.
One doe went about 30 yards.... She lived the longest!
That’s been my experience with them also. They try to run but the lights go out pretty quick

I have been shooting the GR micro hybrid 125gr. They are NASTY!!! I haven't even tried anything else yet on an animal, I can't bring myself to nock another arrow when I actually get in the tree. On the couch I think about all the other options. I do have a single cut on contact broad head in the quiver if there is a bunch of brush though.

I might bring one along (a Whitetail special) again as my rain arrow. If it is raining or snowing enough that tracking might be difficult, then I switch to my rain arrow and only take close range and perfect shots. If you center punch one with the big 2" 3 blade, then chances of them falling in sight is pretty high.

Those large blades won't handle any bone at all. In my experience, there is a huge difference between the traditional 1 3/8" and whitetail specials. I have even buried the 1 3/8" razortip into the opposite shoulder of a 380 lb bear with success. I shot 1 deer with the whitetail special and was less than impressed because 2 of the blades broke on the opposite side leg. JMO.

Those large blades won't handle any bone at all. In my experience, there is a huge difference between the traditional 1 3/8" and whitetail specials. I have even buried the 1 3/8" razortip into the opposite shoulder of a 380 lb bear with success. I shot 1 deer with the whitetail special and was less than impressed because 2 of the blades broke on the opposite side leg. JMO.

This is why I wrote "close and perfect shots". Rather than shoot a 1 3/8" in a rain scenario, I'd just stick with my 1 1/4" QAD Exodus. I don't mean "perfect" in that I'll make a perfect shot (you can't guarantee that). I mean something like 20 yards or less, broadside or quartering away, calm animal, no obstructions or things to shoot around. Not to brag, but since overcoming buck fever, I don't think I've ever NOT 10 ringed a deer in that scenario.

Last edited:
My younger brother has been using the Whitetail special three blade 2” cut for years and has killed a pile of deer with no issues. Most deer are 30-68 yards. Last year he killed a 150” 10 pt on public in Ohio with the Mathews at 68 yards ... one shot the 5 year old buck when 35 yards.
Also you don’t need a perfect shot with a 2” mechanic cut...Also shooting a deer in the legs isn’t a perfect shot lol

Haven't you heard? The new place to aim is right at the ball socket.

The vital V......

With those little 2 blade single bevels, you have to aim there to have a short track job. Which means you are more likely to hit heavy bone....which means you'll need that 2 blade single bevel....it's like the circle of life (or circular logic).

Also, no one would ever advocate taking a bad shot, but on video people that work with the Ranch guy take quartering toward shots or talk about them and then say "because now I have the setup to handle it". It's just human nature.

Also, with today's rangefinders...you don't need flat trajectory.....until you do. But if you make a bad shot because your bow only shoots 200 fps....then don't worry you have a heavy arrow that can make up for that!

Back